General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:05 PM
SportyPig
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

[font=arial]
I’m wondering if all HOG chapters are full of snobby RUB’s or just mine?

First a little background. I’m a fairly new Harley owner. I bought my first Harley in April 06. I’m generally a pretty social type of guy. Most people find me easy to get along with. I’ve never had difficulty making friends in any type of setting. I can get along at a Black-tie affair just as easily as at a biker bar.

During this past summer, I was trying to determine which local chapter to join. One of the local chapters hosts a “bike night” every first Thursday of each month during the “riding months” (I’m not sure what that means, I ride every month). So I attended the bike nights, they had good food, decent bands, and usually around 300 motorcycles. I enjoyed looking at all the bikes more than anything. However, I could never really seem to have any type of conversation with the other people in attendance. But, due to the close proximity to my home, and the automatic discounts that dealership offers to members of their chapter, I decided to join.

A few weeks ago, they had a Christmas party for the HOG membership. It was downtown at what I knew would be a fairly expensive place, and I assumed I’d have to pay to park (which I TOTALLY hate to do) so I considered not even going, even after I had paid the small fee for the party. The weather was PERFECT for riding. As a matter of fact, I had been riding since about 10:30 that morning, and the party was at 6:30 pm. At the time of the party it was mid 60’s, totally clear skies and a predicted low of 55. I was going to a “biker” party, so naturally I rode my bike. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived in the area to see they had blocked off a small area on the side of the street outside the bar where the party was to be held for bike parking. I was a bit surprised that there were only about 6 bikes parked there, but I though maybe I was an early arrival, or others had parked elsewhere. Once inside, I discovered several hundred already in attendance (They usually have about 500 people at this party). And as was the case at all of the other functions of this chapter, I really couldn’t find any conversation except with the folks that work at the dealership, they know me pretty well. I had on my chaps and jacket, and about the only conversations that came up were people being surprised that I had rode my bike!! WHAT???!!!! It’s a freekin HOG party, and the weather couldn’t be more suitable for riding. My response to those that asked about me riding to the party was, Didn’t you?? Anyway, as expected, it was an expensive place to party $5 for a draft beer. Now, I don’t mind the $$$ as long as I’m having a good time, but I figured I could sit alone and drink a few beers elsewhere for far less. Not to mention, I could go elsewhere and find plenty of friendly people to have a few beers with. So, I didn’t stay more than about an hour.

Yesterday, the HOG chapter had planned a “Polar Bear” ride. Now, given the unseasonable warm temps it didn’t really qualify, but that was just fine with me. Temps were in the mid to upper 50’s partly cloudy to overcast skies, but only a 10% chance of scattered showers. Great riding weather in my book. I arrived at the dealership and the parking lot was FULL of bikes. I thought this is gonna be great! I signed up, paid the nominal fee, grabbed a cup of coffee, and set out to mix and mingle. Once again, a very cliquish group. Oh well, I was beginning to expect that. They had laid out a really nice ride for us. It was to be 37 miles through some really good riding area. Good roads, sweeping curves, but nothing really challenging. Then cam

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:17 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

Our Utica NY chapter is not like, these guys are grterat and ride all the time

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:21 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

"Pig", I really don't know why you're asking the rest of us about what you should do. Don't take that the wrong way, but you seem astute enough to know that you don't enjoy this group. Look around. You'll find another bunch more to your liking.

And, it isn't anything wrong with a Sporster. I've always liked them.

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:31 PM
whak a mole
Advanced

pig you don't have to be a hog to enjoy the ride.
enjoy tour sporty!!

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:35 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

"It was to be 37 miles through some really good riding area"

That is a joke.

I don't consider it to be close to being a "ride" unless I burn through the gas, at least once, in my little peanut tank.

Thirty-seven miles is a quick hop in my book.

From that information alone (37 miles), I would say that chapter is RUB city. Not that there is anything wrong with being a RUB......

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:36 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Just like $20k and a t shirt don't make you a biker, $15 and a Hog Sticker don't make you a friend.

Just like any other situation in life, you are accepted and rejected on the same merits at a HOG function.

And the topic of your post makes me wonder, "HOG Chapters full of RUBS???", if thats your mindset, then you won't fit in.
Becoming a real riding partner and friend, is alot like marriage, its not something that is taken very lightly, and people are normally real cautious as to who gets in thier "group of riders".

HOG is nothing more than a Social Mechinisim to getting like minded people in the same place, what they do and how they interact, is entirely up to them.

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:39 PM
Wldtat
Cruiser

Definately doesn't sound like my chapter here in LA. I joined about 6 months ago, and was welcomed like nowhere I've ever been before. That, and I'd be hard pressed just to go on half the rides, the club rides add up to about 10k miles a year.

I'd definately say you just picked the wrong chapter.

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:42 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

and I thought we were all one big happy family????????

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:45 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

I’m wondering if all HOG chapters are full of snobby RUB’s or just mine?

SportyPig”

“I’m wondering if all HOG chapters are full of snobby RUB’s or just mine? “

I am a HOG member since well, a long time my #11*** and I don’t belong to any Chapter, I tried one, a few years back, at the meetingmembers hear why you want to join, these guys weren’t really ruds, anyway I was asked, how I like to ride ? I said well on my bike ! a few laughs, then someone ask me, what was your last ride, I said yesterday, coming back from work (at the time I worked in center city Philly), how did you make out in the rain ? pretty good I guess I don’t mind riding in the rain, somebody ask how do you go ? the Schuylkill Expressway (pronounce, School kill, locals call it the SureKill) it’s very heavy travel road, how was traffic ? heavy, I just went around it, how did you go around it ? (knowing it’s a outdated small width road), up the right side, I guess some look at each other, it was really no big deal, to make it short it look ok, voice vote, Iwas accepted, but never heard or got the paper work in the mail for joining : - )

It’s ok I used HOG, for the cheap $20 or 25 bucks a year for brake down tow, never had to use it but it’s worth it and if I ever travel somewhere w/o the bike I can aways rent one from a dealer easier, and the Mag is ok.

As for all the people driving in istead of riding, it could be smart better odds in a car with a few than on a bike, for sure,

cj

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:46 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior

My 'home' group was much like this. After a while Idiscovered a 'sub-group' that was usually found on the fringe of such events and they were the real riders. They mostly showed up to amuse themselves with the antics of the wannabees. These guys rarely, if ever, participated in the group rides. They would organize their own rides if you would call it that. It was more like 'hey, X, Y, Z and I are going to the coast for barbeque next saturday. Care to go along? Once I found these guys-more like they found me...It was all good.

Quick Reply: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???