General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007 | 01:08 PM
SportyPig
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

ORIGINAL: madmech

The thing you overlooked is HOG is an acronym for Harley OWNERS Group,not Harley Riders Group...Russ
No, I didn't overlook that. The reason I found the lack of riders surprising is this particular local chapter's motto.

"The Chapter that Rides."

Yeah, what a joke!!

Old 01-13-2007 | 03:03 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member

I went to a few meetings after I bought my bike, but never really felt at home.
Comments on the Sporty being a "starter" bike didn't help much.
Not everyone in the group was like this, but I just felt like I got a left handed welcome.
Most of their organized rides did not fit my style, they either wanted to go on a week long interstate ride or down the street for ice cream.
Sadly, I would probably call most of them RUB'S, most of them spent more money on chrome and "Genuine Motor Cloths" than I spent on my bike.

Old 01-13-2007 | 05:43 PM
tail11
Road Master

There will be cliques wherever you go. HOG chapters aren't immune to common human behavior. Some chapters are better than others, but we all hold the same love of our motorcycles.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/969988A36EC5447BA1F9E837671B1702.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2007 | 07:42 PM
Snobal
Tourer

What you find at the local HOG chapter is about like what you willfind when you go to Sturgis....

If you go to Sturgis thinking that you will meet a bunch of really fun folks that like to ride and party, you will have aGREAT time. If you go there believing that everyone there is trying to rip you off, steal your bike, etc. etc. etc. - you may not have nearly as much fun.

I just moved to a newlocation,totally different area from where I've lived the past the years. One of the first thingsI didwasjoin the local HOG Chapter -my 4th. Just like the first three chapters, I found lots of fun folks, young folks, old folks, RUBs, wanta be's, and old-time biker types. Folks that don't know how to check the air pressure in their tires to folks that built their bike from old parts. The only thing in common isa love for motorcycles. I enjoy them all and learn new things from most everyone I talk and ride with.

"Life (and Sturgis, and HOG Chapters) is like a sewer, what you get out of itdepends on what you put into it"

Old 01-13-2007 | 09:34 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

I have a big gut, make a good salary, dont ride if the temperature maintains 32 or below, or if rain is in the forecast. I dont like to drink, smoke, sniff or pop while I ride (or drive (any longer)), very many acquaintances, three people considered closer then acquaintances .. a side note and possible a topic for another post; I dont believe true friends exist any longer, if I go to a bike function I take my bike weather and babysitter permitting.

If I meet people along the way thats great. If I dont, thats great too. I started to ride again because its fun (and to save on gas to and from work). I ride every time I can as much as I can. When I do, I point the bike in a random direction and hit the country seeking out the great road to ride.

And, ey Sportypig ..... I didnt forget that you mentioned that you would be in my area ... still looking forward to the hookup and dont forget ... give me a little lead time so that I can be sure to get a sitter for the brats.

5600 miles since 8/19 and counting .....

Old 01-13-2007 | 11:07 PM
Bluerose

Hmmm...I forgot to mention my chapter usually has a ride once a week....most are between 80 and 200 miles...even our newbie ride was 89 miles 1 way.

I do agree with the breaking in thing but that is the way it is in most clubs/groups.

Old 01-15-2007 | 02:09 AM
SportyPig
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sumncguy

And, ey Sportypig ..... I didnt forget that you mentioned that you would be in my area ... still looking forward to the hookup and dont forget ... give me a little lead time so that I can be sure to get a sitter for the brats.

5600 miles since 8/19 and counting .....

Will do. I was actually over that way a little over a week ago. But, Ididn't really have time for much pleasure riding. Currently, I'm planning on being back in your area in May, and most certainly in August. I suspect I'll find some other reason to ride over that direction before May. I love riding in the Mountains in East TN and West NC.

Old 01-15-2007 | 04:33 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Couple of things I've noticed...

HOG club....I want to ride, not cook hamburgers, sit and chit-chat....

HOG club meeting always held at dealership....another way to get folks into the dealership to spend money

Never seen a HOG member on a shovelhead..... Knew one guy who had a knuckle, all restored with sidecar...but he never rode it!

What I do, is go in to the dealer and look on the bulletin board for rides....I prefer the independant rides, poker runs etc. I ride with folks who ride ALL types of bikes

Went to the Ramblers M/C Open house party...had a blast! I am a rider. but, also a lone wolf....jsut don't do the club thing.

Joined the PGR, and next thing I knew, the chapter president, was sendign me e-mails trying to get alot of volunteer stuff out of me, and wanting to lay down alot of rules! So, I wear the patch, but just "support" the PGR...besides, they believe in not confronting the WBC...and I can't do that! Folks need an a$$ kicking!

When I'm off work, I don't do rules. If you want to ride...let's go! NO DESTINATION. just head off and find out where you end up.

joe

Old 01-12-2008 | 01:44 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

Just like $20k and a t shirt don't make you a biker, $15 and a Hog Sticker don't make you a friend.

Just like any other situation in life, you are accepted and rejected on the same merits at a HOG function.

And the topic of your post makes me wonder, "HOG Chapters full of RUBS???", if thats your mindset, then you won't fit in.
Becoming a real riding partner and friend, is alot like marriage, its not something that is taken very lightly, and people are normally real cautious as to who gets in thier "group of riders".

HOG is nothing more than a Social Mechinisim to getting like minded people in the same place, what they do and how they interact, is entirely up to them.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 01-12-2008 | 02:17 PM
Kolni
Banned

The whole point of HOG is so RUBS can get together!

Why are you surprised?

Quick Reply: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???