General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007 | 04:24 PM
bbone
Intermediate
Default RE: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

I can see where you're coming from sportypig, but it can work both ways. I might be a RUB (I don't know what it means, but if urban biker is the last part it's probably me) but to have a MC event and not ride to it is pretty strange.
I am a new Harley owner (1000 mi. on 2007 Fat Boy) and will be going to my first HOG run this weekend here in Fresno, will let you know how it turns out. What I mean by works both ways is that I went to a run sponsored by a local shop (Renagade). I was invited by a buddy of mine and he invited another friend. Long story short, other guy brought his wife, all was good except that through the day (a poker run around to 10 different shops, about 50 miles) my buddy and his friend spent a lot of time talking to each other about their Road Kings, and I talked with the guys wife quite a bit. Strictly platonic (I'm 58 years old, ugly, overweight and married) but clearly by the end of the day the guy had a problem with me. (And the guy was not a small guy). I was told by another friend that you didn't talk to another guy's old lady. Are there rules I am not aware of? I've never played by the rules before, so my future in the biker world may be a rough one- or is it just different strokes for different folks? I like this forum because the prevelant theme I see is "I just want to ride". I'm just gonna try and keep my eye on that and I'll hopefully gravitate to those that feel the same. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2007 | 04:51 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

Wow, it sounds like my HOG chapter is stuck is some sort of time warp or gallactic anomoly. To have a group of riders (yes Harley owning riders) who actually RIDE their bikes and not just from bar to bar or from dealer to Starbucks, what a concept.

I'm sorry for those who have written about their particular chapters and their problems. The members of my local ride everything from Dynas to baggers to near full off customs and we get along well, socialize and ride.
Same here in Bakersfield. Easy to get along with, warm, welcoming folks. They have enough activities so that everyone can participate.

As far as SNOBBY RUBs: There are RUBs that ride, RUBs that don't. Snobs from every socioeconomic group. The world has no shortage of jerks, liars, theives, idiots, drunks..... Yet I've met fine people from every walk of life, in every job you can think of, under all kinds of circumstances. I try to treat everyone as a friend, and most reply in kind.

Even though I enjoy the folks in my local chapter, I miss most meetings due to work. With the exception of charity events, I prefer to ride with just my wife - we go as fast or slow as we want, as far as we want, for as long as we want. I don't have ANY patches on my leathers. I pay my dues to the local chapter, but I'm too busy enjoying riding to be considered "active" in the chapter!

Old 01-12-2007 | 05:34 PM
Nadil
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bbone

I can see where you're coming from sportypig, but it can work both ways. I might be a RUB (I don't know what it means, but if urban biker is the last part it's probably me) but to have a MC event and not ride to it is pretty strange.
I am a new Harley owner (1000 mi. on 2007 Fat Boy) and will be going to my first HOG run this weekend here in Fresno, will let you know how it turns out. What I mean by works both ways is that I went to a run sponsored by a local shop (Renagade). I was invited by a buddy of mine and he invited another friend. Long story short, other guy brought his wife, all was good except that through the day (a poker run around to 10 different shops, about 50 miles) my buddy and his friend spent a lot of time talking to each other about their Road Kings, and I talked with the guys wife quite a bit. Strictly platonic (I'm 58 years old, ugly, overweight and married) but clearly by the end of the day the guy had a problem with me. (And the guy was not a small guy). I was told by another friend that you didn't talk to another guy's old lady. Are there rules I am not aware of? I've never played by the rules before, so my future in the biker world may be a rough one- or is it just different strokes for different folks? I like this forum because the prevelant theme I see is "I just want to ride". I'm just gonna try and keep my eye on that and I'll hopefully gravitate to those that feel the same. Good luck.
Your other friend is full of BS. Nothin' wrong with talking to another man's lady on a bike run. Sounds like the lady's husband has a self-esteem problem if he got mad with ya.

Old 01-12-2007 | 05:41 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

Come on man. A guy can't chat up another dudes woman a whole day without coming up for air. Don't matter where you are.

Old 01-12-2007 | 05:48 PM
UnkleKronik
Road Captain

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 01-12-2007 | 06:08 PM
Nadil
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

Come on man. A guy can't chat up another dudes woman a whole day without coming up for air. Don't matter where you are.
Guess we are just more talkative and friendly down south.

Old 01-12-2007 | 06:33 PM
MARCUSBEAR
Outstanding HDF Member

Kinda had they same problem with the local hog .. friend of mine is a member had two extra tickets to the local hog xmas party , wife & i were thinking of joining . went to the xmas party with my 14 year old son ( hey no big deal just buy another ticket , wrong ) everything was a problem .they had exactly a plate of food for each ticket already sold ( what waiters don't drop plates ) anyway we were made to feel totally unwelcome .. room full of bikers and maybe 3 bikes in the parking lot .. after reading these posts i guess it wasn't just me , will keep my national membership but no local for me

Old 01-12-2007 | 06:41 PM
Bluerose

I find it a great place to locate other women riders...I'm not a big participant (mainly because hubby is a Metric rider though my chapter does not disriminate as long as he is an associateHOG member) but have been on a few rides.

Would like to go to the lady's meeting but some thing keeps getting in the way..[:@] It's really the main reasonI would go. Not trying to buy a friend just trying to find some folks with similar interest whose eyes don't glaze over when I talk about my bike ...lol

I'm not sure about the RUB thing....see a lot of MCUBs though (MC = Middle class)and alot of retirees.

Old 01-12-2007 | 06:43 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

"It was to be 37 miles through some really good riding area"

That is a joke.

I don't consider it to be close to being a "ride" unless I burn through the gas, at least once, in my little peanut tank.

Thirty-seven miles is a quick hop in my book.
I agree with you. 37 miles is just enough distance to start a ride.

I joined to local HOGback in 200. Went to my first meeting and they asked if any new members. I raised my hand along with some othersand figured, "Okay, now someone will talk to us about what they do here and stuff." Boy, was I surprised. I even walked up to some people and tried to start a conversation and they walked off.

Old 01-12-2007 | 08:40 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain

Mystery of the universe: When riding clubs gather, bikes remain parked ?!?

Quick Reply: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???