General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007 | 11:33 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Default RE: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

don't belong to hog or any other riding group do have a few guys I ride with on saturday morning ksu at 9 if you are late sorry we are gone no LEADER. but two brothers usually lead as they know every road made here in san diego area and I would follow them any place. I have looked at several clubs and said no thanks I guess I want to be a member but not all that active guess I really dont need other people around all the time always said I should have been a cowboy born several years earlier ---- just a loner

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/4DF2111ADB0644B9BE1224653C4779BA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-11-2007 | 12:08 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Pretty much all the HOG chapters are, rent a friend. I don't like riding with people I don't know not that I am a snob I just don't trust large group rides and don't want to get stacked up by someone that just started riding..

Old 01-11-2007 | 01:35 PM
Unamed
Road Master

I must have lucked out cause i got a pretty good here. While people do show up to run in cages or wus out on a longer ride we also got our good solid people that are there to ride! One thing you might want to think about is alot of times these chapters spring up from a click of friends or even the employees of a dealership. So there could be some otehr motives rather than to enjoy the open roads and build life long friendships. One dealership up here started a chapter to basicly make it their bitch. They wanted volunteers plan and simple. So you have to be careful when chooseing any riding partner or group.

Oh and I have never actually had a BT rider ACTUALLY look down on me for riding a "Shirley Davidson" Its always just been good natured jibs and jabs. Espesially with the Geezers.

Congrats on your bike purchase, and good luck finding a good group of riders and some good friends.

You are welcome to ride with me and my chapter anytime!

-Frosty
HOG Thunder Mtn. Chapter
(and yes my chapter is the one the dealer wanted to make its bitch.... We jsut said DILLIGAF...)

Old 01-12-2007 | 01:26 AM
madmech
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

A few weeks ago, they had a Christmas party for the HOG membership. It was downtown at what I knew would be a fairly expensive place, and I assumed I’d have to pay to park (which I TOTALLY hate to do) so I considered not even going, even after I had paid the small fee for the party. The weather was PERFECT for riding. As a matter of fact, I had been riding since about 10:30 that morning, and the party was at 6:30 pm. At the time of the party it was mid 60’s, totally clear skies and a predicted low of 55. I was going to a “biker” party, so naturally I rode my bike. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived in the area to see they had blocked off a small area on the side of the street outside the bar where the party was to be held for bike parking. I was a bit surprised that there were only about 6 bikes parked there, but I though maybe I was an early arrival, or others had parked elsewhere. Once inside, I discovered several hundred already in attendance (They usually have about 500 people at this party). And as was the case at all of the other functions of this chapter, I really couldn’t find any conversation except with the folks that work at the dealership, they know me pretty well. I had on my chaps and jacket, and about the only conversations that came up were people being surprised that I had rode my bike!! WHAT???!!!! It’s a freekin HOG party, and the weather couldn’t be more suitable for riding. My response to those that asked about me riding to the party was, Didn’t you?? Anyway, as expected, it was an expensive place to party $5 for a draft beer. Now, I don’t mind the $$$ as long as I’m having a good time, but I figured I could sit alone and drink a few beers elsewhere for far less. Not to mention, I could go elsewhere and find plenty of friendly people to have a few beers with. So, I didn’t stay more than about an hour.

Yesterday, the HOG chapter had planned a “Polar Bear” ride. Now, given the unseasonable warm temps it didn’t really qualify, but that was just fine with me. Temps were in the mid to upper 50’s partly cloudy to overcast skies, but only a 10% chance of scattered showers. Great riding weather in my book. I arrived at the dealership and the parking lot was FULL of bikes. I thought this is gonna be great! I signed up, paid the nominal fee, grabbed a cup of coffee, and set out to mix and mingle. Once again, a very cliquish group. Oh well, I was beginning to expect that. They had laid out a really nice ride for us. It was to be 37 miles through some really good riding area. Good roads, sweeping curves, but nothing really challenging. Then came the real surprise, several of the people that had already signed up for the ride complained that the ride was TOO LONG!!! And they elected to just hang out at the dealership and wait for chili and soup that was to be served after the ride. In addition, about half of the riders that actually headed out on the ride turned back and returned to the dealership about halfway through the ride. Once the people that took the entire ride returned the food was ready. And of course, once again, despite standing in a long line for food, I was like an outsider looking in.

I was lookin into joining the local chapter,went to their monthly meeting at a local pizza place.50-60 folks all dressed up in leathers,jean jackets,chaps ,5 bikes outside including mine.That was the end of that for me.I ride alone most of the time and it is good.I also ride with a couple different small groups(5-20 bikes),no leaders or heavy structure.U want to lag a little,ok.Wanta go faster,ok too.Also knowing these guys can ride removes the stress.The thing you overlooked is HOG is a

Old 01-12-2007 | 02:49 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member

I generally ride with my family. One Brother and two Sisters are the only ones without bikesso far. We're trying to hook my Bro up next.

Old 01-12-2007 | 03:03 AM
Nadil
Road Warrior

My HOG Chapter ain't like that at all. Very nice group of people and easy to talk to and love to go on long rides.

Even after knowing the weather was warm that day I can't believe they complained about a 37 mile trip being long. We had a Polar Bear ride on Jan. 1st and it was unusually COLD that day being in the late 30's in morning and only got up to about 45 by mid afternoon and we rode for well over 100 miles no problem. Yep, sounds to me like yer chapter is full of RUBs, Wannabes, whatever ya wanna label em.

Old 01-12-2007 | 03:42 AM
rodder37
Advanced

LMAO!!! People really wear their leathers and chaps the hop in a car? I think I would have walked up to one wearing all the gear and ask "Which one is your bike?" and if he said he drove a car just laugh out loud and walk away shaking my head. Chaps and driving a car.....unbelievable.

Old 01-12-2007 | 03:29 PM
Bug_Guy
Banned

HOG Chapters are a joke to me! LOL....just another way for the Stealership to rake in a few more funds....but whatever turns you on! The members of any HOG club that I've had the amusement of meeting would never ever be able to join an M/C club, much less a 1% club....LOL....but this is just my opinion so it surely ain't worth much!

Old 01-12-2007 | 03:36 PM
fxdwgcvo
Cruiser

WELL GUYS /GALS
reading all the posts that are here im still not sure on my decision.I was and have been in a vett registry that had many different people that did many different things, so i look for what some have in common with me .Im new to all this havent riden since mid 70s and dont no really what to expect.Im looking for fun,and hope to find some people who share the same things as i do.Ive been to only 2 chapter meetings
and have met some people allready but have not gone to any other events yet,i dont know what the experience will be like riding in a group have never done that,im hoping one of the road captains will make me feel comfy and kinda watch as i ride.Iam learning the hand signals and hope to have them memorized by the time spring gets here in mass.Al in all i get along with everyone and im really excited about this coming year i dont care if they ride all over the place that why i have my bike.

Lots of great people and arent most of us (bikers) great people???HELL YA
so enjoy your ride weather it be with a chapter alone or in what ever group you feel comfy with.

BUt most of all RIDE and enjoy
my 2 cents
peter
2001fxdwg2cov

Old 01-12-2007 | 03:42 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Gee... I don't think there is any joke to HOG chapters. HOG doesn't particularly appeal to me either. But something that attracts a million people, internationally, is apparently offering something of value to people who may not be comfortable in an M/C club or a 1% club.

Diversity. I'll let em buy me a beer
ORIGINAL: Bug_Guy

HOG Chapters are a joke to me! LOL....just another way for the Stealership to rake in a few more funds....but whatever turns you on! The members of any HOG club that I've had the amusement of meeting would never ever be able to join an M/C club, much less a 1% club....LOL....but this is just my opinion so it surely ain't worth much!

Quick Reply: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???