General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007 | 08:50 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

Here's a suggestion that I promise will answer your questions: Go to the chapter president (or director) and tell him/her that you are volunteering to help out with the party...or the polar bear run...or the MDA benefit....or whatever chapter project floats your boat. They probably don't know you any better than you know them, and the quickest way for you and the group to sniff each other out is to work on a project together. But you'll have to make the first move. You're unknown to them and they don't know why they should invite you to help. I've yet to see a hog chapter that didn't need somebody to help with something, whether it's helping to lay out a poker run route or flip burgers at the annual cookout.

Old 01-07-2007 | 09:04 PM
Tactical1
Tourer

The local chapter here requires 90 extra pounds of cellulite to join.

I was unable too accomodate their requirments.[sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

Old 01-07-2007 | 09:05 PM
SportyPig
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

Here's a suggestion that I promise will answer your questions: Go to the chapter president (or director) and tell him/her that you are volunteering to help out with the party...or the polar bear run...or the MDA benefit....or whatever chapter project floats your boat. They probably don't know you any better than you know them, and the quickest way for you and the group to sniff each other out is to work on a project together. But you'll have to make the first move. You're unknown to them and they don't know why they should invite you to help. I've yet to see a hog chapter that didn't need somebody to help with something, whether it's helping to lay out a poker run route or flip burgers at the annual cookout.
That's an idea..but at this point, I'm not sure I want to get to knew these people any better.

Did I meet you at the 6th annual Booze Cruize this year?? I think I did. Weasles have WAY too much fun for me.

Old 01-07-2007 | 09:13 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

You know what you should do, we don't need to beat you with that information. If you look around, there are plenty of other HOG chapters at other dealerships, and they may have membership more to your liking. A 37 mile ride is not much more than a warm up and there were "bikers" bitching about the length of the trip? What a joke find a new set of people to ride with.

As far as my HOG chapter here in NY, I can honestly say that there are no RUB's in the group, everyone likes to ride their bikes as often as they can.

Old 01-07-2007 | 10:34 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

SportyPig, It sound to me like you've answered your own question. My wife and I joined our local chapter for pretty much the same reasons you did. Since we have not had enough opportunities to go out with our chapter that much we are still kind of feeling things out. There apprears to be some of that clique stuff you mentioned, but I guess that is to be expected in any group. I've decided to do as much as I can with our chapter in '07 before I consider other chapters. We have gotten to know a few of the members and I've managed to strike up a bit of a rapore with dealership employees so, that's a start. We'll see what happens this year. You sound like you're just not enjoying the group you're with. Hang out a bit at other dealerships and see what the folks there are like.

Old 01-07-2007 | 10:39 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

That's an idea..but at this point, I'm not sure I want to get to knew these people any better.

Did I meet you at the 6th annual Booze Cruize this year?? I think I did. Weasles have WAY too much fun for me.
You probably did, I was there. Check my myspace site (link below) and see if I look familar. And if you live in Mid TN, why would you be wasting your time at HOG meetings when you can hang at the Beach on Wednesday nights? It's a fast bunch but you can catch up if you put your mind to it :^)

Old 01-08-2007 | 04:07 AM
SportyPig
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

You probably did, I was there. Check my myspace site (link below) and see if I look familar. And if you live in Mid TN, why would you be wasting your time at HOG meetings when you can hang at the Beach on Wednesday nights? It's a fast bunch but you can catch up if you put your mind to it :^)
Trust me, I know PLENTY of the folks at the Beach. Good people. Like I said, you weasels have WAY too much fun for me, on an regular basis. Also, the Beach is pretty dead this time of year.

Old 01-08-2007 | 04:13 AM
SportyPig
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh, and I forgot..I checked the myspace...we did meet briefly. I was only able to be there for one night and one afternoon of the Music City Booze Cruize.

Old 01-08-2007 | 04:49 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain

Mr Sportypig you sound like a guy that wants to get out and have a good time. The last place I would try to do that is a HOG chapter. I bought a new sportster in 1984 and HD had just started HOG. I got the HOG stuff in the mail andshowed it to my riding buddies. I asked them what it was good for and they laughed and threw it in a trash can.

Half of those guys can't ride and the other half are too old and lazy to ride. I was at a dealer and overheard two HOG members talking (whole back of their jackets were covered with patches)and they were both confessing to each other they had just started riding motorcycles and they both had big baggers. When they left the dealers lotthey were a disaster waiting to happen, those dudes are the last guys I would want to ride with.And then you got someguy called a "Captain" bossing people around.Nah, I don't think so!

My HOG chapter has 4 members including me. Membership is open to anyone who is a GOOD rider,can keep upand likes to do a little bar hopping along the way. We do what we want and always have a good time. One of our "members" rides a 1200 sporty, the rest of us are on a Nighttrain, Softail Standard and aWide Glide.

Keep looking and you will find some guys that like to ride like you do and then youwillhave a good time! Won't take you long...rock on!

Rick

Old 01-08-2007 | 05:08 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

What do you expect when the cost for a HD is so high? About the only guys that can afford one are rich and live in any major cities suburbs

Quick Reply: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???