General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007 | 05:14 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Default RE: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???

same with our local hog chapters.....i'm a hog member cause i bought a bike...but i aint joinin their club

Old 01-07-2007 | 05:31 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

I think you will findthose kinda folks in all the chapters. As has been previously posted just find your niche and get involved if that is your thing. I personally enjoy our chapter but I've only been involved for about 6 months. As in any group you will find yourself more comfortable with some folks and little cliques will form. It is not a bad thing really some people just have different interests.

I really don't like to ride in large groups. I feel more at ease with a group of about 5-10 bikes. That is about what some of our dinner runs turn out to be. The larger group rides I sometimes stay away from. I have no problem riding alone or two-up with the wife, most times I prefer it that way. Nothing better than riding without worring about someone else wanting to stop or whatever. I like to go my own way! Just my .02
FD

Old 01-07-2007 | 05:32 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Bryan TTM,
I felt the same way at first, and really only joined the HOG Group because Iam "cheap" ($15 a year for 20% dealer discount), but I also got curious, and started going to some meetings, and on some rides.(Hey any reason to get in the wind)
Met up with some like minded folks, and I started getting invited to thier rides outside of HOG.
HOG was what brought us together, Friendship and Respect keeps us together.

Old 01-07-2007 | 05:45 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

I've never been much of a joiner... Don't know why. I am a social enough person but "organized" groups get on my nerves.

I am a member of the local chapter but that is mostly just to get the discount at the store. I have gone to a couple of the meetings and I just feel really out of place. The crowd has got a few years on me. And no offense to anyone in the Raleigh HOG chapter... it seems like they live the "Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride" philosophy.

And as much as some poeple don't trust other people riding with them in groups... I don't trust myself riding in a group. I have ridden for a long time and I have ridden with friends... but I am not sure how I would do in a big group. I like being able to peel away and do what I want/need to do. Sometimes I hear people talking about these rides and it sounds like the "Road Captains" would take issue with you "breaking ranks."

For me riding is not about structure and discipline.

Seems like every chapter is different though. I have honestly not socialized enough with my chapter to know if it is a RUB thing or an age thing. I think it is more of an age thing. Most of those guys and gals do ride their bikes a lot. Occasionally you will see the guy ride up that looks like he is wearing brand new leathers... Then you talk to him and find out he has owned them for 10 years... =)

Old 01-07-2007 | 05:58 PM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

Yea Just try to get a tow i could not get any one to come out
i had ot leave wife with bike and go hame to get wrecker 2 hours
called HD they said tow what tow could not get HOG

Old 01-07-2007 | 06:18 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: flakdog

I really don't like to ride in large groups. I feel more at ease with a group of about 5-10 bikes. That is about what some of our dinner runs turn out to be. The larger group rides I sometimes stay away from. I have no problem riding alone or two-up with the wife, most times I prefer it that way. Nothing better than riding without worring about someone else wanting to stop or whatever. I like to go my own way!

FD
Let's hijack the thread for a minute and talk about the "large groups" phenomena.

I see the above comment quite a bit on the forum "I don't like to ride in large groups but I am at ease in a group of 5 - 10 bikes." Not singling out flakdog by any means, but it is a statement I see a lot of forum members post when talking about group riding.

All the local HOG rides I have been on we limit the groups to no more than 10 bikes. If we have 40 members turn out for a function we split up into 4 groups. Usually there is a fast or "I feel wicked" group that is running 5 to 10 over and is usually the more experienced group riders, there is one or two speed limit only groups, and a group for the ones who want to "take it easy" or are new to group riding.

We do that so we do not become a traffic hazard. If your group manages to catch up to the one in front the leader has a choice of passing if on a 4 lane highway or keeping a safe distance behind the front group to allow cagers in. We have to share the road with other traffic.

The only time we are part of a group larger than the 10 bike limit is when we are part of a parade. And parade riding is a whole different animal.

If your HOG chapter is running more than 10 bikes together you may want to voice your opinion to the Head Road Captain about safety and managability. If they won't listien go to the Safety Officer, Director, and if needed to the sponsoring dealer.

Old 01-07-2007 | 06:26 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

People call me a Lone Wolf because I'd rather ride alone or maybe with just a few. Yes I belong to a HOG Chapter but not to ride with a group. I make my living organizing groups so on my time I have my Harley to get away from a crowd, the egos, the politics, etc. Everyone has their reasons....Life is too short to agonize over what crowd to fit in. RIDE!

Old 01-07-2007 | 06:37 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

I've got to tell you that your experience and mine are the opposite. I tried local group 3-4 years ago and found them cliquey (sp) and boring. This year, my buddy hooked up with his local group and again, cliquey and boring. And while they had significant rules, they got fairly plastered before the ride home.

I prefer riding with myself or a group of 5-8 friends I've found and family. I belong to HOG to get rental discount. I don't need to pay a local chapter to find guys to ride with.

Old 01-07-2007 | 06:50 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

I belong to HOG, and our local chapter is free as long as you are a HOG member. I have never riden with them they are not my crowd. Most of the people I ride with do not fit in with the HOG riders. In fact I get a lot of flac from my HOG patch I have on my vest.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-07-2007 | 07:21 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member

Came real close to joining a chapter here, they're always at the dealership for any kind of happening with their membership table set up. Between the guys I see and talk to and their web site, it's old dudes and ladies on big bikes. I've asked if being a single rider would be OK, they said sure. But after some thought I'm like many of you, I enjoy riding solo, I ride 2.5 hrs a day (weather permitting) to go to work and have many friends at work who own Harley's and have gone on rides with them. I'll continue to belong to the National HOG, but don't need to belong to any chapter.

Quick Reply: HOG Chapters Full of RUBs???