General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I dare drive through L.A. ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 PM
tourman12
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I dare drive through L.A. ?

Later this summer I'll be heading out from Wisc. to visit old friends in Carlsbad Cal. & from there I'll head up north to Yosemite. I've allready been up the coast on U.S.1 to Big Sir 2 yrs. ago but I never traveled through L.A. I may never get another chance to travel this part of the country again so do I take U.S.1 from Carlsbad through L.A. & then head Northeast or cut around & skip the hassle of the big city? It would be cool to check out certain sites in L.A. (old friends don't ride) but is it nuts to put up with crazy caggers? Still pondering on this one-I've always tried to avoid large cities if possable.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mostly depends on how bad you want to see the sites you're talking about. And where the sites are located.

I ride or drive into LA for business several times a year. It can be easy and it can be very congested. Some depends on time of day or which freeway you choose. There are ways around the worst parts but it depends on what you want to see.

Give us a list of sites.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

I've commuted in LA on my bike everyday for about the last 10 years. There are crazy drivers but honestly I find LA to be very mellow and motorcycle aware as city driving goes. I remember years ago when road rage was at its peak and people got shot in their cars...well that is long over and forced everyone to take a deep breath and chill out especially on the freeways. Drivers will let you merge, many don't tail gate.. All in all it's pretty sane. Traffic has it schedule so plan accordingly, but really it mostly keeps moving. Even a dead stop will open up relatively quick. You will also be able to use carpool lanes on your bike. I wouldn't bother dreading it. IMO LA is fine for bikes.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 PM
tourman12
Tourer

It's not that I want to spend alot of time in L.A.,mainly head up U.S.1,along the ocean,check out some beaches,maybe cruise Santa Monica Blvd. or other well known streets.Kind of head there early in the morning & by night head out north on hwy.2 to the nearest motel.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 PM
BFJR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tourman12
It's not that I want to spend alot of time in L.A.,mainly head up U.S.1,along the ocean,check out some beaches,maybe cruise Santa Monica Blvd. or other well known streets.Kind of head there early in the morning & by night head out north on hwy.2 to the nearest motel.
work, ride and play around here every day.

Nothing to worry about here. As has been said "Biker Friendly" Town

Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hollywood walk of stars is cool to check out. You can see the Hollywood sign from near there, google it. La Brea Tar Pits Museum is a sight to see also. From there head over to Rodeo Drive. Don't stop if your wife is with you, it costs too much.

The 405 and the 101 is near so you can get north very easy.

tourman12
Tourer

In 2010 I visited these same friends who then lived in Lake Arrowhead. I got there via hwy.15 to 138 & then back out 138 to Palmdale & out to Ventura.I have to say that drivers around me were pretty cool.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:16 PM
tourman12
Tourer

Yah the La Brea tar pits is one place I always wanted to see-always been interested in history.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Last time i was out there 10 years ago in Long Beach they had traffic lights on the freeway on ramps. I take it LA is the same way. By the way, everybody did 80MPH on the freeways.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It ain't bad

Quick Reply: Do I dare drive through L.A. ?