General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dance Like a Butterfly, Sting Like a Bee

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Dance Like a Butterfly, Sting Like a Bee

Ok. This thread has nothing at all to do with butterflies, but rather everything to do with bee stings. On average I'd estimate that I've been stung while riding two or three times a year. On the hand, on the cheek, inside the helmet. You know what I'm talking about.

But yesterday I got stung inside my ear. At the entrance to my ear canal. Talk about hurt! I couldn't get the stinger out so it pumped every bit of toxins into my ear.

To make matters worse I was on a fairly desolate stretch of road with nowhere to stop when it happened. CA 126 between Santa Paula and Fillmore for those of you familiar with the area. I was nearing Fillmore but had to ride another 5 or 6 miles before coming to a McDonalds. I went into McDonalds, hit the john, and looked into my ear the best I could using the mirror in the john. I could see something but there was no way for me to get the stinger out.

Long story short, another guy came into the john and I asked if he could do me a favor. He replied "depends". So I told him my predicament and asked him to look in my ear to see if he could see the stinger. He saw it and was able to scrape it out for me.

Today my ear is swollen, on fire, and itching like crazy. Don't you just love all of God's little creatures?

Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife got hit in the chest, just above the cleavage, by an africanized honey bee this weekend on a ride back from Cape May, NJ. It flew down the front of her jacket.

I couldn't figure out why she was honking her horn and flashing her light at me. When she pulled over her sporty she was yelling..."Kill it! Get it out and Kill it! Kill it!!"

Little thing was the size of my fingernail. I just brushed it off and listened to her cuss up a storm.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fooled me. I thought it had something to do with Mohammed Ali or Dancing With The Stars!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 418 Likes on 190 Posts

While riding with my feet up on the highway pegs, a bee went up my pant leg, made a U-turn and went down my boot. Trying to find a safe place to get off the road while punching myself in the leg, listening to my wife asking 'what's wrong?'

I managed to stop. drop & roll. I had the sidestand down before I hit the ground and my boot off to watch the little bugger fly away. I did not get stung. I have an allergy to bee stings, although not fatal I usually break out in cold sweats & welts all over my upper body.

Some of God's little creatures should have been slapped as they were boarding Noah's Ark.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:00 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My husband stripped in a complete stranger's front yard after having a yellow jacket take a nose dive down his shirt on a ride. Got him twice in the belly. Man I felt bad for the poor guy as that had to have sucked!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:01 PM
springer3
Tourer

2009 i was dove hunting at my ranch in central Texas the bees had already got my buddy once they got to me they were pissed got me over 140 times. Ok so i ran like little girl screaming in to my trailer Fire department had to come and foam trailer to get us out.
I called a bee keeper from Texas A&M he came in hes bee suit got under trailer and killed nest..He said nest was the bigest he had ever seen it was 14ft by 20ft most nest only have a 100000 to 20000 he est there was over 2 million bees on it. I was so lucky.If it makes you feel any better when a honey bee stings u he dies after..

Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
2009 i was dove hunting at my ranch in central Texas the bees had already got my buddy once they got to me they were pissed got me over 140 times. Ok so i ran like little girl screaming in to my trailer Fire department had to come and foam trailer to get us out.
I called a bee keeper from Texas A&M he came in hes bee suit got under trailer and killed nest..He said nest was the bigest he had ever seen it was 14ft by 20ft most nest only have a 100000 to 20000 he est there was over 2 million bees on it. I was so lucky.If it makes you feel any better when a honey bee stings u he dies after..
Wow! 140? Good thing your not dead lol.

The most stings I ever got at one time was 8. Probably about 10 or 11 years old at the time. Me and a few friends were out playing in the woods and we came upon a beehive about the size of a football. We started throwing rocks at it from about 50 feet. When one of us finally hit it more bees than I had ever seen swarmed out of it. We ran our asses off back to the house but I got 8 stings on the way.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Ok. This thread has nothing at all to do with butterflies, but rather everything to do with bee stings. On average I'd estimate that I've been stung while riding two or three times a year. On the hand, on the cheek, inside the helmet. You know what I'm talking about.

But yesterday I got stung inside my ear. At the entrance to my ear canal. Talk about hurt! I couldn't get the stinger out so it pumped every bit of toxins into my ear.

To make matters worse I was on a fairly desolate stretch of road with nowhere to stop when it happened. CA 126 between Santa Paula and Fillmore for those of you familiar with the area. I was nearing Fillmore but had to ride another 5 or 6 miles before coming to a McDonalds. I went into McDonalds, hit the john, and looked into my ear the best I could using the mirror in the john. I could see something but there was no way for me to get the stinger out.

Long story short, another guy came into the john and I asked if he could do me a favor. He replied "depends". So I told him my predicament and asked him to look in my ear to see if he could see the stinger. He saw it and was able to scrape it out for me.

Today my ear is swollen, on fire, and itching like crazy. Don't you just love all of God's little creatures?
Out in that area closer to Newhall on the 126 there used to be a motorcycle park called Indian Dunes. I raced there for many years. They would sometimes have Grand Prix events that were like a cross between MX and desert racing and would incorporate both mx tracks and alot of the open riding areas that included the Santa Clara river and riverbottom, with the accompanying trees, bushes and whatnot. I was actually leading one of the Grands Prix(I know I know, I was shocked too) when I rode thru a swarm and when I realized that those things were stinging the crap outta me I started swatting at my chest, arms throat and then of course crashed my brains out as i didn't have either hand on the bars. Pulled my helmet off, jersey off, and race pants down to get those things off of me. I think I actually heard the Benny Hill musical theme playing as all this was happening.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
springer3
Tourer

yeah doc said 140 is like being bit by rattle snake!! I had to keep meds with me for 6months!i was swollen for about a month!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s

Long story short, another guy came into the john and I asked if he could do me a favor. He replied "depends".