General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffles. To remove or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 PM
taterbum
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Baffles. To remove or not

Ok, so I have a 08 FLHTCU. I had some wheel damage and since Ive got my slip ons removed to take the wheel off Im considering removing the baffles. I have a stage one kit, SE High flow air kit and RC Components RCX-Haust 4" THUNDER slip ons. My question is do you guys think its advisable? Ive heard everyone telling stories about melted valves and doing serious damage to their rides. The local indie shop here in town STREET CHROME USA has a dyno and Im considering letting him tune it. I added the pipes and SE air kit after the stage one was done and allthough I noticed a gain on HP and torque I also noticed a drop off on the top end when I pop the throttle to pass someone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The baffles on these slip ons are easily removable (one screw) so the up side is that they are easily put back in.

Last edited by taterbum; 05-22-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: wanted to change preferences
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do what you indy tells you never hurts to have it dyno`d

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Go ahead and remove them. If you get a lot of decel popping, then put them back in until you can talk to your indy or have it tuned. Also, keep an eye on your plugs. I love the way my American Custom slip-ons sounded without the baffles. But the decel popping really had me worried so I stuck in their mid-rumble baffles. If you're wanting a little more sound, you can always drill some holes, or open up the existing holes in the baffles while still keeping the back-pressure up.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are using an Indy then you should trust what they say over any of us. My understanding is that a little back-pressure is necessary. Decel is bad. There are baffles out there that offer correct back-pressure without quieting things down. One of those is Big City Thunder (BCT). I use their QQ version which means a cone is added. On a noise scale of 10 the QQ's are still 8 or 9 but slightly deeper. I love'em.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

infoYou can see my reply in the tech forum.
Can't answer the poll either. Bought my '04 with Longshots w/out baffles in them. When I put in the 37 cams I had all kinds of trouble tuning til I put DK Customs Thunder Torque inserts in (a lollypop design). Made a world of difference. So I'd say you need some kind of baffle. As Ultra said above, a little back pressure is needed.

Last edited by QC; 05-23-2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: info
Old 05-23-2012, 01:00 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Won't melt valves and other such nonsense. you need a certain amount of backpressure. Some folks have found the "lollypop" mod works. I've had success with Torque Cones on an Evo, but someone said the exhaust port design of the TC engine made these unnecessary. That's anecdotal so I don't know.

I've got a FatCat with a quiet baffle and I've pretty much decided to remove the fiberglass when I get home.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM
TXHooligan
Advanced

i've yanked the baffles out of every set of pipes i've ever bought and never had a problem. then again i've NEVER had a fuel injected motor so that is def something u should consider.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
taterbum
Cruiser

The baffles on these things are about 16" long so I think Im gonna pull them out drill them and put them back. That way I can get the sound Im looking for and still keep my back pressure then Ill stick it on the DYNO and let Trae at STREET CHROME USA do his thing.