General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modulators are annoying

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Sorry this thread got out of control. I wasn't complaining about normal modulators. These lights were super bright and much larger than a normal headlight.

Like I have said on many other posts, I am an optometrist and know there are many blind drivers out there. I totally understand why someone would want a modulator.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Maybe it's just me. But I would not fixate on any light or object. Also, a flashing white light would not confuse me thinking it was an emergency vehicle. Red/blue/yellow create that possibility not white.
Really? Because some emergency vehicles around here have headlights that strobe along with their light bars.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 AM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to say modulators are for pussies .....

I've been trying to picture that, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what good a modulator would do for a *****.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 AM
DanDolfn
Tourer

BTW, there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding here. For the people who get bent out of shape about group riding with a modulator, just have them turn it off.

Modulators work on high beam, and only during the day. Switch to low beam and there's no modulator.

I have no statistics, but I know on my old bike with only one headlight that I added a modulator after I nearly got killed by an idiot that made a left turn in front of me. After that, drivers seemed to wait FAR longer to enter the road from my right or to let me go by before they left turned across my road.

If any of y'all don't like modulators, tough ****. When it's MY *** on the line, I'll do what's best to protect it.

Fortunately, my Road King has a light bar, and I don't have a problem with visibility.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 AM
ultrat
Road Master

I use mine only in morning rush hour ..only when intersections look iffy...
Mine just modulate high beam 30 to 60 % ..& it only works in day lite..
Called a phazer ...

Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
So no one liked my flashing strobe light on top of the helmet for all around visibility, huh?

Do you have a part number for this flashing strobe light helmet?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Look at meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
isn't that the point? if you have a modulator, you stand a better chance at being seen, ergo, making it home alive.

i don't have a modulator, but they certainly don't bother me. and i don't get violent when i see one coming my way. and you really can see them from a lot further away.

and what is the deal? why does it mean if someone has a modulator that they automatically don't ride defensively? why can't they do both?

its not okay to have a modulating headlight, but it's okay to have a brake light that's as bright as a nuclear meltdown? you don't think that distracts drivers behind you? you're light is so bright that they momentarily close their eyes and run your *** over?

how about ride and let ride? can we just do that?

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Really? Because some emergency vehicles around here have headlights that strobe along with their light bars.
there is a huge difference between modulating and strobing. maybe i'm smarter than your average bear, but i've never confused a modulating headlight on a motorcycle for the strobing headlights of an emergency vehicle.......

Last edited by skratch; 05-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

More confusion abounds...

Modulators are legal if they conform to specific specifications, including the intensity and duration of the PULSE of the light. They are NOT supposed flash the light on/off, but create a pulsing effect. As others have said, they work in daylight only, and most kits use the high beam as the on/off switch, allowing you to turn the modulator off. (like when you're on a group ride).

Modulators are legal in every state if they adhere to the specs set down in federal law. You're not going to get a ticket for using one (or, if you do, it won't stand up in court).

I've seen them on bikes like Goldwings, which have unusually big & bright headlights to start with. They are VERY bright. On Harleys & other bikes with a standard 7" headlight, they don't seem to be nearly as bright.

The eye is attracted to movement, not intensity of light. That's a solid fact, and one that I think most of us have experienced firsthand. A steady light doesn't attract the eye nearly as much as one that flashes or pulses. That's why modulators are so effective. Its the same concept that everyone seems to love on the LED brakelights.

Some people have different levels of confidence in the public's ability to drive. Riders who want to wear ATGATT, and have every visibility gadget available on their bike don't bother me. They give bikers a much better image than the ones who are in shorts & flipflops, weaving in & out of traffic at 100mph. Those are the guys who **** me off.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,815 Likes on 3,170 Posts

They give bikers a much better image than the ones who are in shorts & flipflops, weaving in & out of traffic at 100mph. Those are the guys who **** me off Quote

Sure as hell No argument there!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

here is the MoCo's answer to them...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Quick Reply: Modulators are annoying