General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ticket in six years!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default First ticket in six years!

Riding back to work from lunch, you'd think I'd be going as slow as possible.

He SAYS he got me doing 60 in a 40... wrote the ticket for 51 (with a little note in the comment section that says ACS60/40, just in case I try to show him up in court, I guess.)

I'll cop to the 51 ... I will disagree with the check mark next to "Heavy" in the traffic section - there weren't but three other cars on the road, and the cop (going the other way) was one of them.

Oh well. Don't do the crime if you can't do the crime (Don't do it.).

Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,925 Likes on 4,973 Posts

can you do the school?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

50% over the limit? Yeah, you deserved it.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
can you do the school?
I'll have to see how much the fine is - they don't write it on the ticket, I have to call the county recorder's office.

Driver School is an option, but it only saves me 20% of the fine (and has no affect on court costs), and since this is my first offense, I'm not terribly concerned about the points. I'll ask an insurance guy I know (who happens to work for my insurance company, but is not my agent) what my rates will do.

Originally Posted by lo-rider
50% over the limit? Yeah, you deserved it.
What irritates me is on the way out for lunch, I followed a cop who would pull away from me as I did the speed limit, and then I'd pull up next to him at the next light. This happened for four straight lights - and I am fairly sure he was going more than 10 over.

I knew I was doing about 10 over ... and I honestly thought I was going with the flow of traffic. Not that that absolves me of the crime, but 25% is better than 50%, right?

I also got a little safety lecture about "If you go down at 60 miles an hour, we'll have to clean you up with a mop."

Smile. Nod. Must. Resist. the urge. to. tell. cop. he's. not. my. mom.

Not looking for sympathy, just needed to vent a bit.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me last week. No tickets in 11 years. Cop pulled me over but he only gave me a warning. I blame it on Fuel Moto! Ever since they pimped my ride I just can't keep the bike from taking off!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:01 PM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

You ain't getting my sympathy buddy. I haven't gotten a ticket in forty two years, last one was a 45 in a 30. Good luck but it's nothing to brag about.

Last edited by 6speed51; 05-21-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp
I also got a little safety lecture about "If you go down at 60 miles an hour, we'll have to clean you up with a mop."
And I'd reply..."You can give me the ticket or the lecture, not both, thanks anyway".

Of course, that would be up here...I'm not sure my ***** are big enough to say that down your way given some of the 'cowboys' they allow to be cops.
I have the utmost respect the good ones, but you guys have some real doozies in uniform.

CN

Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I have no problem with the ticket its the insurance points which is such a freaking scam!!!!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a ticket quite a few years ago in the Kootenays. The speedlimit was 50 kms I was going downhill doing 51 kms. The rcmp puke gave me a ticket for that. He even wrote 51 in a 50 zone.

I fought it and won, but was more than a little pissed off for the inconvenience of not only getting the ticket but of having to take a 1/2 day off to go to court and fight it.

This isn't the first BS ticket I've gotten from the rcmp either.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm not sure what state you're in , but i wouldn't worry too much about ins rates going up. since it wasn't any type of reckless driving , dui or result in any injurys and it didn't cost the ins company any money, they most likely will never know about it.

its been a while since i got a ticket, but if i remember correctly, my rates didn't go up when it did. hell they didn't even go up when my son got his first ticket.. and that was last yr at age 18.

Quick Reply: First ticket in six years!