General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Select A Lane

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Select A Lane

I have a problem of to ride in the left portion of my lane. I understand if in a two lane road a solo rider or lead rider in a group is to be in the left third of the lane. I understand group rides are to stagger and not ride two abreast. My problem is I cannot ride next to the dividing line and on coming traffic less than 6 feet from my left hand. That is too close to on coming traffic for me. Any words of wisdome ?

OK. After reading your replies, seems like I agree with all of unis. Guess it is just a lot of practice until it comes naturally. Thanks for the constructive, helpful, and informative replies !

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 05-22-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vary my lane position constantly to give myself the best view of the road ahead of me and make me as visible as possible to other traffic.

On a two lane, I'll ride on the left side to stay in the rear view as well as driver side mirror of a car in front of me. If traffic comes the other way, I'll move to the right until they pass then move back to the left.

Don't do much group riding so the rules that apply there aren't really applicable to me.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:48 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
I have a problem of to ride in the left portion of my lane. I understand if in a two lane road a solo rider or lead rider in a group is to be in the left third of the lane. I understand group rides are to stagger and not ride two abreast. My problem is I cannot ride next to the dividing line and on coming traffic less than 6 feet from my left hand. That is too close to on coming traffic for me. Any words of wisdome ?
You "cannot" or you won't? If you can't ride that close then the question becomes "why not?" If it is fear, then I suggest overcoming it, or giving up riding; one or the other. That may sound harsh, but if you can't get past that you are heading for disaster somewhere down the road. Sooner or later something will present itself that requires you to ride that line. Then the question becomes "Will I kill only myself, or take someone else out, too?"

Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Right third has more debris to cut a tire and encourage a cage to try and slip between you and the oncoming traffic. Center third more oil drippings and the left third is closer to the oncoming traffic.

So choose your poison. No location is perfect. I have been riding since 1956. I find the best overall position for safe riding in the left third.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-21-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Any words of wisdome ?
Yeah, don't be the Road Captain when riding in a group!

IDK, sounds like a psychological issue to me. Hopefully, it doesn't affect any other aspect of your riding.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:11 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,615 Likes on 5,099 Posts

I usually ride on the ride side of the lane.....too many head on collisions here in Ramona, so I have shifted to the right side as I feel more comfortablr there

Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I deal with it by constantly monitoring oncoming traffic for signs of distracted driving. First sign that they're drifting and I'm moving to the right and laying on the horn. (the horn is greatly under utilized tool imo). Never had one come over more than 2 feet before going back. But I realize that if one ever decides to come all the way over our paths of travel are probably going to intersect no matter what sort of evasive tactic I try. Having worked in ems for years the "good news" is that these type of accidents are almost always fast, painless and final.

When I'm in a group I ride whatever lane position is "assigned" to me. But at other times I ride where I feel I can be seen the best. When there is a line of oncoming traffic I'll move over to the right so that cages in the middle of that line who may be thinking of darting out to pass can see me.

Also, when cresting a hill I'll move over into the right portion of the lane till I'm over it. I've had the unpleasant (read horrifying) experience in my cage of almost headoning another cage who was passing on the hill. Something you never forget.

When going around blind curves I also tend to move to the right to avoid oncoming cages who may drift over the line.

And of course when following a cage you want to be be where he can see you. Generally that is the left portion of your lane of travel. Riding in the right portion also invites cages behind you to squeeze around on your left to pass.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to move around a lot too. Have you been on a four lane, traveling in the left lane of two, and had all the cars be in the right lane and slowing for a turn? I find that happens to me a lot when I go past Walmart's entry. And invariably there is a car waiting to get out of that entry. If I'm in the left lane, and all the cars ahead of me are in the right lane waiting to turn in, then I grip pretty hard about that exiting car not seeing me. So either I speed up, or slow down. But I gotta wait till I see the car to know for sure which is best. The more I ride, the more I feel you gotta be good, and you gotta be lucky.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Low Down
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Luck has nothing to do with it... ride in whatever lane/lane position that provides the best 'out'.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When by myself I just move back and forth in my lane. They say if you have a fifty percent chance of getting something right then you're going to be wrong ninety percent of the time.

Quick Reply: Select A Lane