General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Select A Lane

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

First of all "fear kills". You have to get over that.

Regarding which side of the lane. I feel the left side of the left lane is the best place. right beside the yellow line or right beside the cement median if there is one. You can watch the oncoming traffic and if they're drifting you have lots of time to correct. But if a deer, animal, or cage enters the road on the right you'll need every millisecond to save your life. If you're running down the right side beside the guard rail and a deer or moose jumps over... POW you're dead.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When riding on a single lane road the left is the best place to be. More visibility and a larger buffer zone, if you ride the right side you have already lost the room to manouver on the right with not much more to go.

On multi lane roads I ride like this;

cheers

Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 AM
TimmH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of my riding here is 4 and 6 lane roads (2 or 3 each way).

I move around depending on the road, the area and the traffic. Sometimes I ride the right side of the right lane on a 6 lane road, just because it's an industrial area with a lot of cars exiting parking lots from the right. I want them to see me behind the car in front of me, because traffic is moderate and they look for any tiny chance they can to dart out across the lanes.

When riding that position, I do my best to keep any cars in the lane to my left either slightly behind me, or well ahead of me, so they know I'm there or if they don't they aren't immediately impacting my path.

I find myself switching all over from lane to lane, from side to side, all dependent on the conditions.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 AM
TCooper4653
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Coloradohunter
I vary my lane position constantly to give myself the best view of the road ahead of me and make me as visible as possible to other traffic.
Same here - plus I love the William H. Macy avatar - "I'm okay".

Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Low Down
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Down
Luck has nothing to do with it... ride in whatever lane/lane position that provides the best 'out'.
Originally Posted by Blackfly
And low down- I know what you mean but unfortunately luck always has something to do with everything - I think you're saying make that the smallest possible part of the equation and with that I agree 100 %
You're free to believe whatever you want, but luck has nothing to do with a rider going from point A to B in a safe manner.

Originally Posted by afoulsmell
That's what I meant by "you gotta be good, and lucky". You do what you can to be safe and pay attention, but sometimes it doesn't matter. I recently read a story about a couple killed by a car that came over the median. I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a lot they could do about it. Some folks don't believe in luck- whatever. It's the best term I have. You might be in a long line of bikes, and you're the one that gets hit. Maybe your higher power is calling you home, maybe you're just unlucky. I don't care what you call it. Sometimes you don't have any control over events.
Yeah... when a rider makes poor choices and eliminates their available options for an 'out', you better be lucky.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

Awesome! Glad we agree on that.