General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here hates stripping screw heads? And a torque wrench question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:56 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Who here hates stripping screw heads? And a torque wrench question.

Man I hate stripping screw heads. I was checking all the fasteners and making sure everything is torqued to spec and bam I strip the rear cylinder's right-side rear screw head. Before anyone asks, I always use the lowest torque values that are recommended in the manual. Man this pisses me off the MoCo uses such crap. I try to be cautious for just this reason. I make sure to use the right size socket bit, I make sure the bit is fully seated in the screw. I make sure the wrench is perpendicular to the screw. You know, every thing you should do to prevent this. Not only don't I have a spare rocker cover screw, I don't have a dremel to cut a slot in it to remove the offending screw.

So, who's whith me? Do you hate the damn buggers?

Also, does anyone know where to check the calibration of a torque wrench? My in/lbs wrench seems way off. I was torquing down some screws (not the rocker screws, I used my ft/lbs) and didn't get to a click. I didn't think these fasteners were that loose. So I brought down the value on the wrench to see if I'd get my click. Nope, no dice. So now I'm clueless. Where can I go to double check it's calibration? Thanks.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:01 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless it is a critical fastener, snug is good and I use loctite. There are still some bikes out there that will shake off fasteners and parts but the new Harley's don't much. I check my torque wrenches against each other. I try feel first. If it feels wrong then I use a digital fish scale Not scientific but gives me something to start with. I have thrown away a torque wrench before. I also learned how to store them and how not to use them wrong. I figure anyone that calibrates wrenches probably charges more then the wrench is worth. JMO and how I roll.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:22 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Unless it is a critical fastener, snug is good and I use loctite. There are still some bikes out there that will shake off fasteners and parts but the new Harley's don't much. I check my torque wrenches against each other. I try feel first. If it feels wrong then I use a digital fish scale Not scientific but gives me something to start with. I have thrown away a torque wrench before. I also learned how to store them and how not to use them wrong. I figure anyone that calibrates wrenches probably charges more then the wrench is worth. JMO and how I roll.
You're probably right about throwing it away. This is not the best Craftsman torque wrench. I always store my torque wrenches in a case screwed all the way down to the lowest value and unlocked.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Part of wrenching the scoot, it's life. As far as torque wrenches goes, you end up with what you buy, I prefer MAC.

Edit: I wanted to add, you dont have to buy new when it comes to decent tools, used as long as they werent abused is just fine.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Part of wrenching the scoot, it's life. As far as torque wrenches goes, you end up with what you buy, I prefer MAC.

Edit: I wanted to add, you dont have to buy new when it comes to decent tools, used as long as they werent abused is just fine.
Yeah but I've known tissue paper that's tougher than these fasteners. lol. Does Harley make these from jello?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in respect to the torque wrenches your local tool truck can check them out for you, i have mine checked at the start of every season by the guy who runs the truck in my area

Old 05-19-2012, 03:17 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,077 Likes on 17,941 Posts

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
in respect to the torque wrenches your local tool truck can check them out for you, i have mine checked at the start of every season by the guy who runs the truck in my area
Yep the Snap-on truck will do them , even the non brand name stuff if you talk right to the guy .

Old 05-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Sometimes, if you stopped real quick when it stripped, and maybe have a little luck, you can put some grinding compound on the tool tip and screw head, and manage to back it out. I've put thin shim stock in an allen head screw to take up some slack and got some out that way. I'm not a fan of cutting a slot to screwdriver them off, too easy to break enough head off to not have anything left to grip. I always keep a set of easy outs, sometimes that's the only good way to get a damaged one out - provided you have enough room for it. Just don't drill too big, and tap easy on it with a hammer while putting pressure on the easy out until the screw turns.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Also, does anyone know where to check the calibration of a torque wrench? My in/lbs wrench seems way off.
I never have until late last year when my son was able to get them done for free.Guess there all good because of the cal. stickers.

Could be kind of expensive if its a lower end brand.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:07 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Yep the Snap-on truck will do them , even the non brand name stuff if you talk right to the guy .
Years ago we had a guy a few doors, down across the street, that had a Snap-On Tool truck. Now I don't know where to find one. Probably should have got a Snap On anyway. This Craftsman is crap.

Quick Reply: Who here hates stripping screw heads? And a torque wrench question.