General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It pays to be nice to the sheriff

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:35 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It pays to be nice to the sheriff

Yesterday, some friends and I were riding to Frederick for some lunch. Rather than riding the superslab we took Old National Pike. Nice road that goes through a few small towns. We got halfway between Mt. Airy and New Market and all of a sudden there was a 'Road Closed - Local Traffic Only' sign. Since we didn't have a map and no one knew the local roads, we had two choices. Backtrack about 10 miles to get to a detour route or try to get through the "closed" road. We chose door number two. Everything went well at first. The road was looked smooth and freshly paved with only a few jersey walls as barriers. So we go around the first set of jersey walls and start up the road. Just then two Frederick County Sheriff's Deputies stepped out in the road and motioned us to pull over. They told us that there had been complaints about people ignoring the signs so they were there to enforce the law. We explained our situation, all the while being very respectful to the deputies. They were pretty cool and said they would just give us warning tickets. Whew! The deputy writing my warning was a female about 5'5. As she was writing, talking to me, etc. a luxury Buick comes down the road. She motions him to pull over. The guy (about 6'2) gets out of his car and starts pacing up and down. After a few minutes he comes over to the deputy, shoves his license and reg. in her face and starts going off about how he is in a hurry and how stupid it is for them to stop him while drug dealers and robbers are on the loose. She calmly tells him that he was stopped because he broke a law. He starts fuming again, telling her he doesn't care if he gets a ticket because it doesn't carry any points - just hurry up because he has groceries in the car. At this point the officer gets pissed and tells him yes it does carry a point and to go sit in his car (I was getting ready to tell him to STFU myself). He started to say something else but she cut him off and firmly said again "Sir, go sit in your car...NOW". He goes over and sits in his car and my wife laughs and says to the deputy: "who does he think he is, trying to butt in front of us and get his ticket first". The deputy smiled and said: "That one isn't getting a warning". As we were pulling off, she slowly walked back to her car and sat inside to write him up. I hope she took 15 minutes to run a computer check on the jerk. Sorry this is so long but it brought a smile to my face writing it while I'm stuck at work on another stinkin Monday. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-01-2005, 06:25 PM
wild1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It pays to be nice to the sheriff

Why bother yelling? When I get a ticket it is because I broke the law. The only chance I have to not get the ticket is to be nice right? I got a speeding ticket a week ago on the bike heading to work. Kinda sucks but what can you do.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:35 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned

sounds like car ma pardon the pun

Old 08-02-2005, 12:26 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

When I get pulled, I don't BS the guy, I give him my information, answer what's asked of me, and hope for the best.

Haven't been pulled in a LONG time, hope to keep it that way.

Mac

Old 08-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: wildwill

my wife laughs and says to the deputy: "who does he think he is, trying to butt in front of us and get his ticket first".
I liked this part

Old 08-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Hog_fever
Road Captain

Respect goes a long way!

Old 08-02-2005, 01:52 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

deputies! who the hell needs them anywaY!! {this should wake up terry fife! LOL}

Old 08-02-2005, 05:52 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I try to be friendly with the cops, because some day I might need them.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:23 AM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johnny

ORIGINAL: wildwill

my wife laughs and says to the deputy: "who does he think he is, trying to butt in front of us and get his ticket first".
I liked this part

Yeah, she cracks me up sometimes with the stuff she comes up with. When we got to the restaurant in Frederick, we told the story to our two friends that were a few hundred feet down the road with the other deputy and all of us had a good laugh. [sm=smiley36.gif]

I probably should've added that since we were all so cooperative they let us continue on. I'm thinking that the a-hole had to turn around and go back.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

Wildwill
We ride up that way at least a couple times a year, we prefer the side roads too. Nice country side. One of us usually has a GPS the figure our way around, has helped a lot.