General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:27 PM
logan9967
|
Intermediate
Default Tips for riding

hey everyone, i'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for someone looking into riding. soon i will be getting my permit and license and me and my dad would like to get a pair of harleys, night rod special for me and road king for him.
so if any of you have any, and i mean any tips for riding, harleys, motorcycles, anything that has to do with them. please post them. i want to read and learn as much about riding as i can so when we do get into it i will be lacking experience but i would have learned what to do in certain situations or whatever.
im just drawn to riding, i ride bicycle all the time, and have some experience on dirt bikes, and i cant wait to get onto the road. i know how dangerous it is, especially for a teenager. so please share with me any stories or whatever. thanks

-logan

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:34 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Tips for riding

Dont drink and ride, thats why my x-wife is not here now....

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:36 PM
logan9967
|
Intermediate

man, sorry to hear that. i'll never have a problem with that. thanks

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:37 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Take the Motorcycle Safety Class! This is an invaluable way to start and willgive you a goodplatform to start from. Riding on the street is different from dirt bikes and the handling is not the same especially in turns, with braking situations, etc.

I hesitate to suggest someone start out on a big bike like you list - especially a NEW one that is quite likely to be dropped or go down in those early months of beginning to ride. IMHO I'd say you should get a used bike and ride it for 6 months to a year and cut your teeth on that first - dropping a $1500bike isn't a big deal compared to a new Harley. Maybe a 500cc or 650cccruiser if that's the style bike you're interested in - there are some killer deals on nice used bikes so don't hesitate to look at those for a first m/c.

Wear all the safety gear and good luck!

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:40 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

You and your dad should first take a MSF course. Trust me on this, it is time and money well spent. NONE of my children will ever get on a bike without first taking this course if I have anything to say about it.

Good Luck.

<><Peace

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:41 PM
anubisss
Banned

Another vote for the MSF course. My wife took the classroom yesterday,and will will be taking the driving part this weekend...Safety gear is also a must, and ust get out there and ride...

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:43 PM
logan9967
|
Intermediate

awesome, i've been hearing a lot about the MSF course. probably means we should do it. and we probably will. and as for the bike, starting with somthing small at first is probably the best idea. good for the timing to as the harleys may have to wait from 3-6months. so if i get a cheap bike to learn on now. when we have bikes id already have a lot of experience.

thanks again for all your input guys! really appreciate it!

also we have been looking at some safety gear, are we on the right track with this?

-all leathers not synthetic, better to slide then tumble.
-always helmet
-always gloves
-always riding boots
-jacket and pants all the time, leather of course

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:44 PM
kudzu35
Road Master

As a new rider myself, ride and ride often. Find a nice patch of road that has very little traffic on it (even a parking lot works) and just do circles and straight lines until you feel comfortable. If you're gonna get that Night Rod, then you might want to just stick to 1st, 2nd, and a very low 3rd gear before amping it up.

Build confidence in your ability to handle your bike, don't listen to people who say that you can't handle it (unless you've been dropping it constantly or missing gears). Know that you will probably drop it, miss a gear, stall... something that seasoned riders have minimal percentages of doing. Know it, prepare for it, but don't plan on it. Just be confident.

And MSF, MSF, MSF.

Ride and ride often.

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:45 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Have you rode any type of motorcycles? Motorcross type bikes??

Has a teen I bought my first road bike after years of motorcross riding and mini bikes as a kid.....I was 19 and was involved in a pretty bad wreck. A dude ran a red light, it was his fault but, I did have time to react, now with the mindset I have now I could have gotten out of it!!

I would take a good riding course for tips before jumping on that VROD.........maybe consider a nice cruiser, maybe a non HD with a smaller motoras a first bike for a season or two to get used to the road, amd if something may happen you are not outta tons of $$$$ on the scoot. The HD will come. Being a teen on a VROD may = trouble!!! May first bike was a 650 Interceptor, not the fastest bike but I WAS A TEEN!! HD's are much heavier than most metrics and maybe something good til you get used to handling a bike in traffic...I know I would drop a bunch a $$$ on the bike until I knew I was comfortable, and the smaller bike will help you get through the CLASSES!!!

Old 01-05-2007 | 11:49 PM
logan9967
|
Intermediate

alright thanks,
and yes i've been on my cousins motorcross bikes, just a 250cc and smaller, but i learned to keep my balance on something bigger and heavier than just a bicycle, i learned shifting, and countersteering, along with some braking but mostly just in dirt and grass. only real pavement driving in on a driveway

defiently going for those classes.
thanks guys for all this help

also i'm gonna talk to my dad about maybe getting a cheap little bike i can learn on. somthing that can take a beating of my learning ( probably destroying its clutch ) and dropping it. but that sounds like a great idea. i gain loads of experience and save a fresh vrod

Quick Reply: Tips for riding