General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007 | 01:19 AM
bsea
Road Captain
Default RE: Tips for riding

My experience is a bit atypical, but thought I would pass it on. I first learned to ride with my very first ever bike, an Ultra Classic. I took the MSF, had a friend who took me to some empty parking lots on Sunday afternoons, and studied the Ride Like a Pro II DVD. I then spent some time practicingon my own to make sure I wasable to concentrate on traffic more than on the controlson my bike. Igradually worked my way into traffic, first picking specific routes that I had surveyed ahead and knew that there was nothing there to get me into trouble. Eventually, I worked up to riding the Interstate andother high traffic areas. My reason for going straight to an Ultra was that I did not want to have to sell a cheap "beater" bike to get the one I wanted, so I got what I wanted right off.

It took some time to get comfortable, but now I use my bike to comute (30 miles one way with a mixture of Interstate, city, and rural traffic) and am fairly confident with my skills. That said, with a red face I have to tell you that not long ago, leaving work, in the parking lot at slow speed in the middle of a turn, I stalled the bike and dropped it. However, I just picked it up and contined on. Incidentally, I still spend a good bit of time in comuter lots on weekends practicing such skills as panic stops, slow turns, etc. One can never be skilled enough.

Moral of my story...get what you want, practice, practice, practice, and enjoy it.

Bill

Old 01-06-2007 | 01:43 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain

If you are under 18 you can take the MSF riding course for free and then in most stated you don't have to take the motorcycle road test. I would recommend starting out on a 750 Shadow, like everybody on here has said, dropping a $3000 to $4000 bike is cheaper than a $15000 bike. Also a 750 is light weight enough that you can handle it and will still keep up with the bigger bikes on the highway. Ride safe and always were your safety equipment.

Old 01-06-2007 | 01:47 AM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

Looks like you’ve got some good advice here. I’d say making the MSF’s Basic Rider Course a top priority is a wise decision. Of course I’m a little biased because I’ve been a Motorcycle Instructor/RiderCoach in Connecticut since 1999. Pennsylvania has a very good program and I think it may even be free for state residents. When you take the class, listen to the instructors and practice what they tell you to do. Sign up for class as soon as you can. I know in Ct. our classes fill up early.

The riding gear you’ve identified, and your choice to always wear it, will help to save your skin in a crash. However, none of the gear can totally protect you from injury or death. Every other vehicle on the road will be a lot larger than you, and any of them can wipe you out in a split second.

Your dirt bike experience will help you quite a bit, but riding on the street is totally different. Keep your eyes up, look well ahead of you, and turn your head to look where you want the bike to go. Be smooth on all your control inputs, and keep your arms, hands and upper body relaxed and loose. The more you ride, the better you’ll get and the more you’ll enjoy it.

Starting out on a cheap, used bike is usually a wise move. Get a little experience, figure out what you really want to ride and then go for it.

Old 01-06-2007 | 02:04 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior

like everyone else said..MSF course...

meanwhile, I'd log some saddle time on that 250 MX bike...granted its different, but you need experience, and trust me..when you can run a bike thru the woods quickly and safely, it WILL help on the street...reaction time, looking ahead, etc....

Get the right safety gear and use it..don't skimp on a helmet.

And as a bunch of folk said, forget starting out w/ a VROD..get something smaller/lighter as a first bike. Just a safer bet all around. The Harley will come. If you check some other threads you'll see that most everyone here with a HD, waited a while to finally get one.

And when you finally do hit the streets...ride within your limits, know your scoot WELL and how it operates, and ride as if the cars around you don't even know you're there, cause most times they don't! Even when they're looking at you they still don't "see" you.

Good luck - you'll find it one of the best things you'll do.

Old 01-06-2007 | 07:12 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

If you haven't got the idea by now: Take the MSF course.

Old 01-06-2007 | 07:50 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

Two thoughts come to mind-----

You can go slow on a motorcycle and be overwhelmed with enjoyment. You don't need to go fast to have a great ride.

Try to be aware of every vehicle around you in traffic that can reach you. Imagine the worst thing they can do to you, and try to think of what you would do to avoid them. You can do this in a car- especially when you're not driving. Practicing now will free up your mind later when you're on the bike and thinking about things like balance.

Old 01-06-2007 | 08:26 AM
sctusa
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cj_slowdown

ORIGINAL: logan9967

hey everyone, i'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for someone looking into riding. soon i will be getting my permit and license and me and my dad would like to get a pair of harleys, night rod special for me and road king for him.
so if any of you have any, and i mean any tips for riding, harleys, motorcycles, anything that has to do with them. please post them. i want to read and learn as much about riding as i can so when we do get into it i will be lacking experience but i would have learned what to do in certain situations or whatever.
im just drawn to riding, i ride bicycle all the time, and have some experience on dirt bikes, and i cant wait to get onto the road. i know how dangerous it is, especially for a teenager. so please share with me any stories or whatever. thanks

-logan
Take the damn MSF course, I wish that was around when I started, look as I said before many, many times, anybody, I mean anybody can ride a bike straight down the road at 60 MPH no sweat ! no it’s not all the twisties either, it’s riding S L O W, and making a U-turn without dragging your foot ! that is what separates good riders from riders who think their good., Oh, that reminds me if you know it’s ok, but don’t be a foot-dragger, when pulling out ! it’s stupid and you don’t have full control of the bike, balance, rear brake etc, you know what happens grabbing that front brake (only) there also more to it, counter balancing comes to mind, try this DVD it instruct you how it handle a big bike at L O W speeds, it’s pretty well done and worth the 30 or so bucks, better than going down and telling yourself SOB ! : - ) it’s called “Ride like a PRO” here is the link: http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Remember, in the years ahead don’t even try to think your as good as you think you are, dude, anybody who rides, who has tons of miles under him/her or decades under his/her butt, can be flash-out in a second by some nit-wit reaching down to the floor looking for a cell or lipstick ! that includes you, me and anyone else on this board, with miles and years experience means crap (in a flash-out), what it does buy you, is good decisions, instead of saying after the fact (if one can) Damn I should have done this or that ! loser talk.

Remember coming up to a intersection, with a green light or no stop sign, you really don’t have the right of way : - ) the law says you do, but reality says different, when crossing a road, always as your last look, look left, not right (which a lot of riders do) left is the first part of the road that has cars/trucks coming at YOU ! last look before throttle is LEFT.

Good luck, didn’t act like an AH, and you have a good chance to ride forever : - )

later,

cj

Excellent advice from everyone. MSF for sure. I started out on a Triumph 650 back in 1968. Rode like an idiot and wasVERY lucky. Some of my friends not so lucky!
Remember we were all teenagers at some point and did stupid stuff. Please learn from our mistakes. I still find myself on ocassion tempted to crack the throttle more then I should, but remembering those that should be still here riding with me brings me back to reality!!!
And remember all those cagers out there want to kill you!!!
That Ride Like A Pro video is well worth the bucks for great tips...

Old 01-06-2007 | 08:33 AM
Crusing
Road Captain

Take the MSF.
Practice all the low speed maneuvers on your heavier Harley in vacant parking lots until you are comfortable.
Ride like you are invisible on the road.
Ride with your local HOG chapter to develop open road experience.[/ol]

Old 01-06-2007 | 11:17 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior

MSC!

Old 01-06-2007 | 11:28 AM
siramazing
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Arizona

Take the Motorcycle Safety Class! This is an invaluable way to start and willgive you a goodplatform to start from. Riding on the street is different from dirt bikes and the handling is not the same especially in turns, with braking situations, etc.

I hesitate to suggest someone start out on a big bike like you list - especially a NEW one that is quite likely to be dropped or go down in those early months of beginning to ride. IMHO I'd say you should get a used bike and ride it for 6 months to a year and cut your teeth on that first - dropping a $1500bike isn't a big deal compared to a new Harley. Maybe a 500cc or 650cccruiser if that's the style bike you're interested in - there are some killer deals on nice used bikes so don't hesitate to look at those for a first m/c.

Wear all the safety gear and good luck!
What he said!! I am a new rider at 69 years old, (just passed 2000 miles) and started riding because my wife rode years ago, and I bought her a sportster for her birthday. I took the riding class, and it was invaluable, but still wound up dropping a rented sportster in a turn while I was still learning. I am getting more and more comfortable as time goes on. You have an advantage, having ridden dirt bikes. I had never been on any kind of motorcycle before. Don't get a big bike to start with, and then later when you feel ready, go for it.

Quick Reply: Tips for riding