General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:05 AM
adamzapple
Cruiser
Default RE: Tips for riding

Another endorsement for MSF but I'll go a step further. Don't just take the MSF Basic Rider Course. You should also take the MSF Experienced Rider Course on your Harleys within three months of your purchase. You should then make a point of doing the ERC every year after that.

Regarding protection, you'll hear plenty of different opinions on this forum but here's mine:I always wear a full-face helmet and full leathers -- even if it's 90 degrees out. If you ever get a dose of road rash and most of us do in the first year or so riding, you'll appreciate the extra protection.

Happy riding and ride safe!

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:13 AM
Hiram
Road Captain

Definitely take a new riders course.

The biggest thing to remember is that YOU ride YOUR bike. Don't let anyone else goad you into riding beyond your capabilities. If you're with friends or a group and you fall behind bc you're not comfortable with what they are doing, so be it. Better to take a ribbing than crash. Know your capabilities and ride within them. Your horizons will expand with time.

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:16 AM
SquishFace
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: logan9967
also we have been looking at some safety gear, are we on the right track with this?

-all leathers not synthetic, better to slide then tumble.
I don't recall even being given the choice of sliding OR tumbling. Its usually the later followed by the former [sm=outcold.gif]

And the hardest part of learning to ride is mastering the slow turns.... not something I'd want that twitchy YamaHarley for. The 883 is probably the best Harley to learn on. Maybe a poorly tuned 1200. You can score them on Ebay for under $4k.

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:17 AM
chester1957
Road Warrior

Heavy bikes do not react at all like a dirt bike. Having one drop on ya even at low speeds, can crush a foot. Not trying to scare you, but you gotta learn to walk before ya can run. I did a lot of walkin on smaller bikes to start, and even some of them took a bite outa me.

MSF is a great start.

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:18 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

MSF...then, be careful and put your butt in the seat. You can only learn so much in a classroom, and a closed course. Gotta spend some time in the saddle. But do it slowly and with caution. Don't ride beyond your ability. In other words, don't try to go set a world speed record on "the draggon" ,or a similar road, in your first 5,000 milesof riding. And don't go riding with a group that plans to ride beyond your riding ability. Trust me, you won't be able to resist trying to keep up with them.

Just take the safety course, then spend a lot of timeriding, at your own pace. And for the love of God, don't do anything STUPID!!!

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:29 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I suggest that after you have completed the MSF. When you take the bike out (what ever you get) try to do it when there is very little traffic. Also, try to stay away from things that distract people....shopping malls, yard/garage sales, fairs, busy intersections..ya know the things that make people look around alot. Also, save the night riding until you are comfortable on the bike. Congrats and welcome to the sport.

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:30 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

I always wondered about that slideing part? Haveing took judo for several years one learns how to fall and how to roll. The couple of times I got banged down the knowing how to roll saved me alot of hide! Tuck the arms an chin and roll. I always thought slideing sounded alot like skidding and I don't care for either!
And get yourself a decent rideing motorcycle to start off with. That VRod and a new YOUNG rider insureance rates will go skyhigh and you can't blame them.A year of rideing experience and the MSF course will make you alot more insureable as a young rider.
And if your Dad hasn't rode much he might want to start off with something less than a Harley, and take the course with you.

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:45 AM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: logan9967

hey everyone, i'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for someone looking into riding. soon i will be getting my permit and license and me and my dad would like to get a pair of harleys, night rod special for me and road king for him.
so if any of you have any, and i mean any tips for riding, harleys, motorcycles, anything that has to do with them. please post them. i want to read and learn as much about riding as i can so when we do get into it i will be lacking experience but i would have learned what to do in certain situations or whatever.
im just drawn to riding, i ride bicycle all the time, and have some experience on dirt bikes, and i cant wait to get onto the road. i know how dangerous it is, especially for a teenager. so please share with me any stories or whatever. thanks

-logan
Take the damn MSF course, I wish that was around when I started, look as I said before many, many times, anybody, I mean anybody can ride a bike straight down the road at 60 MPH no sweat ! no it’s not all the twisties either, it’s riding S L O W, and making a U-turn without dragging your foot ! that is what separates good riders from riders who think their good., Oh, that reminds me if you know it’s ok, but don’t be a foot-dragger, when pulling out ! it’s stupid and you don’t have full control of the bike, balance, rear brake etc, you know what happens grabbing that front brake (only) there also more to it, counter balancing comes to mind, try this DVD it instruct you how it handle a big bike at L O W speeds, it’s pretty well done and worth the 30 or so bucks, better than going down and telling yourself SOB ! : - ) it’s called “Ride like a PRO” here is the link: http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Remember, in the years ahead don’t even try to think your as good as you think you are, dude, anybody who rides, who has tons of miles under him/her or decades under his/her butt, can be flash-out in a second by some nit-wit reaching down to the floor looking for a cell or lipstick ! that includes you, me and anyone else on this board, with miles and years experience means crap (in a flash-out), what it does buy you, is good decisions, instead of saying after the fact (if one can) Damn I should have done this or that ! loser talk.

Remember coming up to a intersection, with a green light or no stop sign, you really don’t have the right of way : - ) the law says you do, but reality says different, when crossing a road, always as your last look, look left, not right (which a lot of riders do) left is the first part of the road that has cars/trucks coming at YOU ! last look before throttle is LEFT.

Good luck, didn’t act like an AH, and you have a good chance to ride forever : - )

later,

cj

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:45 AM
vaxination
Intermediate

i agree with everyone on here about taking the MSC. i had ridden for a number of years before taking the MSC and to my surprise, i found it valuable.

oh, and as far as starting out on a vrod, i know a lot of people that the vrod was their first bike. they did fine as a beginner - they all took the MSC. i think you will fine too especially if you take the class and really listen to what the instructors are teacing you. i have a night rod myself so i think that if you have an opportunity to score a vrod, you better take it!

Old 01-06-2007 | 12:50 AM
logan9967
|
Intermediate

thanks so much everyone, this is just what i wanted to hear. i'll look into that dvd. and i never really thought about handeling a harley at low speeds! thanks again! keep em coming!

yes, MSF and all those courses have now become first priority.

and i'll have to talk to my dad so more about what to do first. cause he had the idea of me and him learning on the night rod then him later getting a nice road king, but i told him about getting somthing cheaper that we can learn on, i guess we will just have to see on that.

Quick Reply: Tips for riding