General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a second opinion on my LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:52 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts
Thumbs up I got a second opinion on my LED headlights

Driving home last night on a dark country road with a few turns a lone headlight appears right on tail. First i think its a cop, then he stays so close i assume its a sport bike screwing with me. He is nearly blinding me with his brights in my rh side mirror. He follows closely for about 10 miles until we reach a stop sign.
As we slow to a stop I see a older roadking pulling up to my right and i am about to put the kickstand down and chew his a$$ for riding so close when the rider shouts "dude you have an awesome headlight" "thanks for getting me home last night i hit a racoon and he knocked the $hit out of my front end" . We bump fists, exchange a few pleasantries and I reaffirm what i already know this 59 year old goof can see better at night with these new harley headlights.
Mazz

Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm I have heard nothing but bad things when it comes to the range of the led headlights on back roads. You dont feel like they have less distance?

Old 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
Hmm I have heard nothing but bad things when it comes to the range of the led headlights on back roads. You dont feel like they have less distance?
Not at all if you have the LED headlight adjusted properly. I live out in the sticks where at night there are no street lights to guide you home. Coming from a bigger city area and more light to out here at my new assignment was a big adjustment. I didn't feel comfortable at all riding at night with my stock headlight. The HD LED headlight vs. the stock headlight is a night and day differance. I am very pleased with mine and feel safer while night riding now that I can see the road and area so much better

Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
mazz
Road Master

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
sometimes we like something because we already have it or spent a g on it
this is my second bike with these led lamps so i bought them twice
diFFENCE IS AMAZING

Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 235 Posts

My LED headlight arrives from Lakeshore Harley ($319) today. I've seen several posts that say people don't have theirs adusted properly. What's the key to proper adjustment? Higher than normal, lower than normal. The HD sevice manual says the light beam (stock) should be centered 35 inches from the ground at a distance of 25 feet. Is the LED lamp adjustment different?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:32 AM
mazz
Road Master

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
My LED headlight arrives from Lakeshore Harley ($319) today. I've seen several posts that say people don't have theirs adusted properly. What's the key to proper adjustment? Higher than normal, lower than normal. The HD sevice manual says the light beam (stock) should be centered 35 inches from the ground at a distance of 25 feet. Is the LED lamp adjustment different?
no idea my got done at the dealer with new bike

Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

I just popped the old one out and put the LED in with no adjustments. I'm very satisfied with it.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to do one, but $500+ for a 7" inch. Ouch.

May very well be worth it though.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rey
I want to do one, but $500+ for a 7" inch. Ouch.

May very well be worth it though.
You can get them cheaper online, and very often from Harley dealers. My favorite is Surdyke. They're always significantly below H-D list.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
You can get them cheaper online, and very often from Harley dealers. My favorite is Surdyke. They're always significantly below H-D list.
They didn't have the one I wanted in stock.

But yeah, I order from them a good bit. Just ordered some stuff yesterday.

Quick Reply: I got a second opinion on my LED headlights