General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Lo-Vivid Black or Denim black?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 AM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The way I see it is that even the ugliest HD is flippin great when ridden well. I mean it! I don't dig the way any Fx looks, but a friend of mine bought one cheap and hell, after seeing him ride it a few times, that old fx shovel started to look real good to me. All the HD engines look terrific and the rider can make the machine beautiful, or as is often the case, embarrassingly foul. (and don't come back with "a hot naked broad draped over the bars makes any bike sharp)

Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
While it is true that flat black has been used on custom rods & bikes since the 50s, it is the FACTORY flat black that is played out--you just can't be "baaaaddd" from the factory. Build a street rod or bobber yourself,paint it flat black, and it's cool. Shows off the builders work & that he has paid his dues. Factory builds one & it's like "instant badass;just add money". Sorry; too pretentious for me.

For those of you who play guitar, it's kinda like Fender's "relic" or "roadworn" series. Have an old beat up Strat or Tele & it screams cool mojo. But when the factory builds a new guitar & purposely beats the hell out of it to make it look old--where the hell is the "cool" in that? These kids that buy one to make it look like they have been gigging & paying their musical dues for years are fooling themselves; along with everybody else (except for veteran players like myself) Instant vintage mojo without paying your musical dues; just add money. It seems that companies like Harley & Fender,2 of America's greatest icons, are just promoting being a store bought poser with a pre-distressed leather jacket. I just can't see it.
Bro that dose not make any sense! Does it really matter who paints it really! And who would even know? When i had my night train years ago i had it in Denim black cause i love the color! At a gas station a group of other bikers on Harley where filling up and they asked me about the bike and complimented it!! 2 of the guys asked wow man that flat paint is awsome did you have it custom painted!? I said no it actually came like that from the factory! And that was after the Denim paint was already out on the Harleys for awhile! But i could have easily said " Hell ya bro i painted that sh$t myself came out friggin good uh?" And who would have known? My point is the color itself in nice no matter who paints it!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Satin

Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Bro that dose not make any sense! Does it really matter who paints it really! And who would even know? When i had my night train years ago i had it in Denim black cause i love the color! At a gas station a group of other bikers on Harley where filling up and they asked me about the bike and complimented it!! 2 of the guys asked wow man that flat paint is awsome did you have it custom painted!? I said no it actually came like that from the factory! And that was after the Denim paint was already out on the Harleys for awhile! But i could have easily said " Hell ya bro i painted that sh$t myself came out friggin good uh?" And who would have known? My point is the color itself in nice no matter who paints it!
I think what he is trying to say is that the color looks good on something unique and I tend to agree with him. Everyone has their own opinion and you're wasting your breath trying to change anyone's mind. I have a friend who rides a FB Lo that is denim. He likes it a lot and that's all that matters. It's a nice bike, I don't give him any grief over it, it's just not my taste. He would probably say the same about my bike, but we've never asked one another for our opinions.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The only parts that bother me about dickey's post is his inference that by buying a Denim black bike are, 1. you did not pay your dues and 2. your trying to be a bada$$. We all like what we ride and chose our colors for different reasons. If your bike is white, green, pink, blue, purple or what ever color who really cares just ride it and enjoy. If you feel the need to belittle people because of their color or bike choice well then you Sir, have some issues that only you yourself can deal with.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Dude, I am all about black bikes. I just prefer gloss/vivid. I don't think a color can be trendy, a fad, or go out of style. As you stated, it has been around for decades. And, if someone is knocking HD for being nostalgic with the color, not only is it an oxymoron, but moronic thru and thru.

They're just hatin' cause they picked a slow color. Nice bike.

I've been riding since the age of 5. I am now 35. I have paid more dues that half the Dudes on this forum. Right now I am recovering from surgery. Crashed because of a cager that was texting. I now have hardware in my body that I will take to the grave. I should be walking on my own in 4 weeks and riding my new bike in 5 wks or so. It will be black.

Dues... LMAO. Ride hard!

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
The only parts that bother me about dickey's post is his inference that by buying a Denim black bike are, 1. you did not pay your dues and 2. your trying to be a bada$$. We all like what we ride and chose our colors for different reasons. If your bike is white, green, pink, blue, purple or what ever color who really cares just ride it and enjoy. If you feel the need to belittle people because of their color or bike choice well then you Sir, have some issues that only you yourself can deal with.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:58 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,172 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Black bikes are a dime a dozen, period. Color shows personality.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

No comment...
Originally Posted by ChopperBill
Black bikes are a dime a dozen, period. Color shows personality.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Irishknight
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
Dude, I am all about black bikes. I just prefer gloss/vivid. I don't think a color can be trendy, a fad, or go out of style. As you stated, it has been around for decades. And, if someone is knocking HD for being nostalgic with the color, not only is it an oxymoron, but moronic thru and thru.

They're just hatin' cause they picked a slow color. Nice bike.

I've been riding since the age of 5. I am now 35. I have paid more dues that half the Dudes on this forum. Right now I am recovering from surgery. Crashed because of a cager that was texting. I now have hardware in my body that I will take to the grave. I should be walking on my own in 4 weeks and riding my new bike in 5 wks or so. It will be black.

Dues... LMAO. Ride hard!
riding since 5?? u mean riding with ur dad? i kinda find it hard for A 5 year old to be able to grasp and learn how to ride a bike,not doubting you but 5 seems super young and hope u have a fast recovery and are back to riding soon!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Irishknight
riding since 5?? u mean riding with ur dad? i kinda find it hard for A 5 year old to be able to grasp and learn how to ride a bike,not doubting you but 5 seems super young and hope u have a fast recovery and are back to riding soon!

Quick Reply: Fatboy Lo-Vivid Black or Denim black?