General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Lo-Vivid Black or Denim black?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Irishknight
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love how alot of u keep saying the denim thing is over or a trend blah blah,i honestly dont care i really like the color and reminds me of a classic car,how is it played out when where i live i dont see any fatboys and especially no black denim ones

Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Denim is played out, trend, or not.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 AM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vivid. I like a high-gloss shine...in any color. As for cleaning and care, IMO, vivid is easy. Lets face it, there isn't much paint to clean on a Lo...certainly not compared to a SG or RG. As for swirls...use a very wet microfiber and a light touch...you won't get any.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 AM
dizzy1450
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The blacked out look is sooooooo played out. Go vivid and chrome it out.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Iron Butt Springer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow another flat black bike

Old 05-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Butt Springer
Wow another flat black bike
Wow another chrome bike!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I just can't agree that Denim black is what some call trendy and played out. Flat black has been in use for several decades on hot rods and bikes. It is not going away any time soon. 20 and 30 years ago people were using paints like John Deere Blitz Black to paint cars and bikes. Must be some thing in the drinking water up where I live because I get compliments on my bike and the color all the time. Just saying.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

While it is true that flat black has been used on custom rods & bikes since the 50s, it is the FACTORY flat black that is played out--you just can't be "baaaaddd" from the factory. Build a street rod or bobber yourself,paint it flat black, and it's cool. Shows off the builders work & that he has paid his dues. Factory builds one & it's like "instant badass;just add money". Sorry; too pretentious for me.

For those of you who play guitar, it's kinda like Fender's "relic" or "roadworn" series. Have an old beat up Strat or Tele & it screams cool mojo. But when the factory builds a new guitar & purposely beats the hell out of it to make it look old--where the hell is the "cool" in that? These kids that buy one to make it look like they have been gigging & paying their musical dues for years are fooling themselves; along with everybody else (except for veteran players like myself) Instant vintage mojo without paying your musical dues; just add money. It seems that companies like Harley & Fender,2 of America's greatest icons, are just promoting being a store bought poser with a pre-distressed leather jacket. I just can't see it.

Last edited by dickey; 05-17-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Iron Butt Springer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Wow another chrome bike!
Did i say go Chrome u Assclown

Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
While it is true that flat black has been used on custom rods & bikes since the 50s, it is the FACTORY flat black that is played out--you just can't be "baaaaddd" from the factory. Build a street rod or bobber yourself,paint it flat black, and it's cool. Shows off the builders work & that he has paid his dues. Factory builds one & it's like "instant badass;just add money". Sorry; too pretentious for me.

For those of you who play guitar, it's kinda like Fender's "relic" or "roadworn" series. Have an old beat up Strat or Tele & it screams cool mojo. But when the factory builds a new guitar & purposely beats the hell out of it to make it look old--where the hell is the "cool" in that? These kids that buy one to make it look like they have been gigging & paying their musical dues for years are fooling themselves; along with everybody else (except for veteran players like myself) Instant vintage mojo without paying your musical dues; just add money. It seems that companies like Harley & Fender,2 of America's greatest icons, are just promoting being a store bought poser with a pre-distressed leather jacket. I just can't see it.
Well perhaps for some. I feel that after 40 years of tinkering with bikes and riding them I have paid enough dues to have a Denim Black bike. BTW I don't consider riding a flat black bike as trying to be a bada$$, 28 years in the Army did that for me. As far as the guitars go I see your point.

Quick Reply: Fatboy Lo-Vivid Black or Denim black?