General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the scam here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Default What's the scam here?

I'm sure some (most) of y'all are much more informed about Pay Pal than I am so I have a question.

I've had put one of my bikes up for sale and I have more than one person who is offering to buy the bike at the asking price, without seeing the bike but they want to buy via Pay Pal, which I have no intention of doing as I'm not aware of how it works, but I'm sure there's a scam somehow involved.

I won't even take a cashiers check unless it is local and I can confirm that it is "legit".

I've recently sold a couple of things on Craigslist so I can usually spot the fake communications but the Pay Pal thing turns me off instantly.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 AM
chamba
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had someone, pretty convincing, trying to get an '81 fiat from me and never saw it. I thought it was weird. I tried to understand the how and why of it, but never put it all together. I ended up saying, show yourself or go away. then he tried to revive the deal and I made it clear that I had done all the explaining I was gonna do. show yourself, and I had already reported your sketchy *** to the feds. he erased himself from my sight.
dunno what it is they are up to, but they are up to something. that being said Paypal is a pretty trustworthy way of getting money around. I had a forum member who wanted to buy my seat, and we were both genuine guys, so we made the deal work. I got my money through Paypal, he got his goods. end of story.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 AM
Chadw00
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had good things come of paypal, if they have sent you the money call paypal and confirm the transaction, plus I would have them pick up the bike after the funds have cleared.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 AM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Never sell anything through Paypal, the buyer can accuse you of not completing the
deal to their satisfaction and Paypal will take the money out of your account and return it to them. You have little or no rights as the seller, Paypal only cares about
the buyer. Many stories like this, and I have been scammed myself with no help
at all from Paypal.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 AM
jayray
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In cash, in person. Only way to deal with Craigslist.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've read, you can be scammed. Fake Paypal email or the scammer says he never received the item and gets his money back from Paypal. It's very simple, if someone's buying a motorcycle they can pay cash when they pick it up. I've also taken a cashier's check when I can call the issuing bank to verify the check is legitimate. I've sold a lot of bikes and probably half the replies I got selling on Craigslist were some type of scam. Be very cautious of the ones who want the bike at the asking price site unseen. That's ridiculous.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Pay pal is set up to protect the buyer and gives very little leverage o the seller. Be careful. I've seen folks who have gotten payment through Paypal, sent the item, then had the payment revoked because the payee said "I didn't authorize this"

Scammers will try anything. Larger sales/purchases should be done through ebay where its documented.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:22 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I use paypal all the time with out issue for buying and selling. But not big ticket items. That's cash & carry only.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
From what I've read, you can be scammed. Fake Paypal email or the scammer says he never received the item and gets his money back from Paypal. It's very simple, if someone's buying a motorcycle they can pay cash when they pick it up. I've also taken a cashier's check when I can call the issuing bank to verify the check is legitimate. I've sold a lot of bikes and probably half the replies I got selling on Craigslist were some type of scam. Be very cautious of the ones who want the bike at the asking price site unseen. That's ridiculous.
Exactly! They send out an e-mail that looks like it came from Pay Pal hoping to get someone who is not familiar with how it works. The gotcha is when you use the link in the e-mail, when you sign in they get your info then go drain your account. NEVER use the links in e-mails from Pay Pal or Ebay.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jayray
In cash, in person. Only way to deal with Craigslist.
I agree.

Quick Reply: What's the scam here?