General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the scam here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Cash,in person. New hundreds only. And I always have my Roscoe & a friend with me.

I wouldn't take a check from Mother Theresa or the Pope!

Dickey don't trust NOBODY!!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Bought a new helmet with Paypal. Sold a car recently, via Craig's List. No Paypal on anything "bigger" than a helmet, or something like that. In person, with cash in hand, to buy a car.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 PM
71FLH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sorrel
This. And I will add that it is advisable to meet buyers in a well populated public area.
All of the above and a pistol on my side.

Originally Posted by dickey
Cash,in person. New hundreds only. And I always have my Roscoe & a friend with me.

I wouldn't take a check from Mother Theresa or the Pope!

Dickey don't trust NOBODY!!
BINGO!!! Ricky don't either.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sjef
Never sell anything through Paypal, the buyer can accuse you of not completing the
deal to their satisfaction and Paypal will take the money out of your account and return it to them. You have little or no rights as the seller, Paypal only cares about
the buyer. Many stories like this, and I have been scammed myself with no help
at all from Paypal.
ditto. a popular scam here in the UK.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use paypal online when shopping because of the buyer protection...and that same buyer protection (and folk who abuse it) is the exact reason I never accept paypal for anything I'm selling. Whatever you want from me, you can come shake my hand and look me in the eye...or just don't bother.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:26 PM
velflo68
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That old rule of thumb has always, and will apparently forever be true, "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't"

Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Don't do it. If you promise not to tell anyone I'll let you in on a secret. I helped start PayPal back in 1999 and was an executive there until I left end of 2006. I ran eBay and PayPal's global risk and cybercrime investigations group.

Anyhow, these people will likely pay you with an account using stolen credit cards. Or other bad funding sources.

Also do not take checks of any kind. CASH and only local deals.

Sometimes these groups from Nigeria, Eastern Europe etc will have folks in your area come by and look at the bike and pick it up.

Other things to look for:

cashiers checks NO do not do it. cashiers checks can and are forged.

Offering you more for the vehicle

Buyer suggests the shipping company and sends you a check to cover the shipping

Offering more than you asked for an wanting you to conclude the transaction ASAP.

A truly good but overlooked adage is- if it is too good too be true it is...

Scammers play on greed and emotion. so unless you are on a lonely hearts forum greed is what you need to look out for. greed as in they offer you more than the bike is worth or offer something above and beyond.

It may take longer but it is always best to deal in cash and in person. I have seen them run scams on everything from those big rock star tour bus type vehicles to Labrador retriever puppies in Omaha Nebraska and everything in between.

Trust your instinct. READ the emails you get and understand everything they are offering. And at the end of the day cash counted twice with a friend or two with you is the way to go.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, Paypal does protect the buyer more than the seller.

You can advertise on craigslist and opt out of the "anonymous Email" contact option and select a "respond to below" option and post a phone number when you type up your add. This will at the very least eliminate all the Email scammers and spammers. Doing this will slow responses to your add to almost zero since very few on craigslist are serious buyers anymore. The place is infested with crooks and it looks like it's gonna be that way from now on.

Cash in person best way to make a safe transaction these days.

Tech23

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have used Paypal for years without a problem,if I sell big ticket item I tell the buyer that the funds must clear before they get the item,anybody who thinks someone is going to send them more than the asking price without even looking at the item deserves whatever they get!
never ever ever trust any foreign emails especially from Nigeria

Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 PM
dbc58
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean I'n not rich?????!!!

"FROM THE EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR,CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (CBN)GOV.SANUSI LAMIDO URGENT NOTICE, ATTENTION: This is to inform you that your deliveryman has arrived with your cash trunk boxes value $6.5 million dollars in Tally International Airport NewYork, United States as their transit. I want you to know that you have 24 hours to email him on his email: diplomat_andrews@superposta.com... ,then ask to speak to the diplomatic deliveryman in person of Mr.Andrew william in the United States.Let us know if you are still interested to get your trunk boxes delivered to you today? As he has been waiting to hear from you to enable him get to your home address without missing his way. For your information, the deliveryman with your package is not aware of the content of the boxes for security purpose. Please do not tell him to avoid running away with your funds.On no account should you let him know about the content of the consignment to avoid evil intension. Most importantly you are adviced to send your full data to him,which include your Full Name,Current Residential Adress, Direct Cell Number,and A copy of any identity card to verify that you are the right reciever to avoid mistakes. Note that you must call me as soon as you receive this email for more discussion, my direct line is +234-815-330- 1810 . Also reconfirm your full current address and valid phone number to the Delivery officer via his above email address once you receive this email to enable him deliver your cash consignment boxes to your house without any further delay or mistake. You are advice not to waste his time at the airport,so that he would not be stranded in any way because he will return if he finds out that you are not doing anything to get him over to your house.Vie your fund package attach CONGRATULATIONS. MALLAM SANUSI LAMIDO AMINU,EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR,CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIAOFFICE +234-815-330- 1810"

Quick Reply: What's the scam here?