Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Rider Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:16 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 145 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Non Rider Opinions

I have a client \ friend who recently bought himself a new Triumph 900.
(kinda like a Cafe Racer) he has not ridden in a few years but was having a blast and doing all the things we do to make the bike his own.
Well last week a lady rolled thru a stop sign and took him out. about $4500 of damage, he has some road rash and a slight concussion. (he was wearing a full face helmet, good thing because he smashed the visor) but will be ok.
My heart breaks for the guy. #1 He absolutely fell in love with riding again, and now will be without his bike for a while, and #2 he has people who are constantly busting his ***** about how dangerous motorcycles are, he must be going thru a crisis of some kind to have gotten a bike in the 1st. place.
(he just turned 40) It must have been his fault and there is no way he should ever get back on the bike. Well he is pretty tired of all the negative comments and said the next one he hears he is going to explode.
Why can't some people just shut the f--k up and wish him well and a speedy recovery. Sorry just had to rant on his behalf.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
WeekendBadass
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least he rode a Triumph, and for that I say dust yourself off and get back on the horsey soon.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, IMO it's guys like him that CAUSE all of the ruckus over how dangerous bikes are. If he got taken out because a woman "rolled through a stop sign", then it was his fault. You have to ride under the assumption that everyone is trying to kill you so, at intersections, you slow down and LOOK at EVERYTHING that's going on there, THEN proceed. It doesn't sound like your buddy did that and he paid the price for it. What he also did was bolster all of the non-rider's arguments that bikes are dangerous when the truth is, they're as safe as the person whose riding them.

Sorry Friend, but if you don't pay attention out there, you end up a statistic. In your buddy's case, maybe all of the non-riders are correct? Tell him to take a basic rider's course, pay better attention out there and show the nay-sayers that they're wrong.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:56 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Because its human nature of A$$-holes is to express their opinions about other peoples business.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,983 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by screaminroadking
(kinda like a Cafe Racer) he has not ridden in a few years but was having a blast and doing all the things we do to make the bike his own.
Well last week a lady rolled thru a stop sign and took him out. about $4500 of damage, he has some road rash and a slight concussion. (he was wearing a full face helmet, good thing because he smashed the visor) but will be ok.
My heart breaks for the guy. #1 He absolutely fell in love with riding again, and now will be without his bike for a while, and #2 he has people who are constantly busting his ***** about how dangerous motorcycles are, he must be going thru a crisis of some kind to have gotten a bike in the 1st. place.
(he just turned 40) It must have been his fault and there is no way he should ever get back on the bike. Well he is pretty tired of all the negative comments and said the next one he hears he is going to explode.
Why can't some people just shut the f--k up and wish him well and a speedy recovery. Sorry just had to rant on his behalf.
You learn to ignore the **** or you listen to it and knuckle under , been that way since 2 wheels and a motor where mated in the same machine .

Tell him to take a man pill and grow a thicker skin the whinny nannies won't stop , crap like he's going through is what made so many of us become loners in the early days . We got tired of the type people who where scared of their own shadows and went our own ways or sought out others that felt as we did , where do think the club thing grew out of ?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

people who are constantly busting his ***** about how dangerous motorcycles are,
Those people are right, motorcycles are more dangerous than hiding. So f. what. It's none of their business.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master

Well, IMO it's guys like him that CAUSE all of the ruckus over how dangerous bikes are. If he got taken out because a woman "rolled through a stop sign", then it was his fault. You have to ride under the assumption that everyone is trying to kill you so, at intersections, you slow down and LOOK at EVERYTHING that's going on there, THEN proceed. It doesn't sound like your buddy did that and he paid the price for it. What he also did was bolster all of the non-rider's arguments that bikes are dangerous when the truth is, they're as safe as the person whose riding them.

Sorry Friend, but if you don't pay attention out there, you end up a statistic. In your buddy's case, maybe all of the non-riders are correct? Tell him to take a basic rider's course, pay better attention out there and show the nay-sayers that they're wrong. __________________
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

He has had his bike license for a long time, yes he even took the riders edge course to refresh his skills. Guess I should have been more specific . The lady slowed like she was going to stop and then came right out into the intersection. He had no where to go as there was oncoming and turning traffic. There where witnesses and it was not his fault. Lady was cited. My point was that people should not voice there opinion re. what danger lies out there, unless they have lived it. just sayin

Old 05-14-2012, 02:08 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,983 Likes on 17,897 Posts

I'm not following your logic here how is he part of the problem ? Dude I've been on these things 40 yrs and I'm damned good at it but you only have so much control once your on the streets rolling . You can do everything exactly right all the time and they will still get to you , been there got the scars . The guy is a fresh rider , **** happened he lived through this time so he's learned some things . Maybe he could have done things a bit differently maybe not we weren't there . Lighten up and pass on some moral support , he needs it right now .

Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master

TwiXted Biker My point exactly, thanks for saying it better than I did.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i tell people this: if the damned thing kills me, know that it saved me first. besides, i'd rather die while in the process of living my life... rather than die in the process of living your life.

Quick Reply: Non Rider Opinions