General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Rider Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

No kidding , life is gonna kill you just a matter of how you live it before you check out .
That's the thing. No one gets outa here alive and I refuse to live my life in constant fear and deprivation. Ima get me some.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A little while ago I saw some statistics gathered by the insurance industry in the UK on motorcycle accidents. Statistically, born-again bikers (people who had a bike in their youth, have been away from it for a coupla decades and then bought another bike) are one of the most likely groups of riders to be in an accident. Them and males aged 16-20.

Apparently, very few of them compensate for the very different road conditions for modern motorcylists (more traffic, higher congestion, etc.) or for the dramatic increase in motorcycle performance - a 600cc motorcycle built in the '70s will have very different performance characteristics than a 600cc motorcycle built last year.

Not to say that Triumph Guy did anything wrong, just that extra EXTRA caution is advised. Hope he heals up and gets back on the bike soon!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM
TimmH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A girl at work just was ranting to me about how unsafe motorcycles were and didn't understand why I or anyone would ever want to ride one. That they were a sure ticket to an early grave. She looked at me and said "I know one day I'll be seeing you at your funeral"

I looked at her and said "With the way you chain smoke, I bet I'll be riding my Harley to YOUR funeral." She went off on me about how my opinions don't matter and it is her decision to smoke and it's her legal right to do so.

I shook my head, laughed and walked into the office.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 AM
blackchipjim
Road Captain

My OL thinks I'm paranoid when I drive. You know she's right on the mark. I drive defensivly in all the vehicles I drive. How you drive one vehicle translates into how you drive the other no matter what you drive. I drive a heavy truck the crap people pull on me is the same I see on my bike. Can anyone tell me why they react the same to a big truck and motorcycle? Yes sorry about your friends accident hope he is getting better.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Gator
And this whole sad tale about some Triumph rider is posted on the HDForum site. Hummm...apparently Triumph can't muster enough interest to develope their own site.
Beware of individual stupid people is what it should say...

Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Oldman47
Advanced

Very High Plain Drifter. I am one of those people who gave up my riding for several years and got back into it a few years ago.
When I first started riding again I was very aware that the bike I was on had a lot of power. It was a 1300 cc 4 cylinder Yamaha that put out 98 horsepower. Compared to my old time Triumphs, Hondas and similar bikes, it really had plenty of power. It also had far better brakes than even my old BMW R-60. I even took a rider safety course, my first ever, that I graduated from on my 60th birthday. I refused to ride 2 up for the first few months because I knew my physical skills had suffered from being away from a bike for too long. When I started riding you just needed a car drivers license. I rode for my first 10 years before they invented bike licenses.
Today I will put my riding skills up against anyone who has only been riding a few years. That is not really arrogance but is a recognition that the things that I learned over many years of riding still have value, even though I failed to actually practice it for a few years. I rode for 25 years before taking a 15 year pause and have now been riding again for 5 years.
Statistics do not tell the whole story. The reason newly restarting riders have as many accidents as the 20 year olds is that both groups are needing to practice their physical riding skills. The advantage, for a truly experienced rider is that he/she knows the skills are not up to snuff and can use thought to overcome that deficiency to an extent.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:12 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

And this whole sad tale about some Triumph rider is posted on the HDForum site. Hummm...apparently Triumph can't muster enough interest to develope their own site.
http://www.triumphrat.net/

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for all the reply's, both positive and negative. I can't say if he was aware of all that was going on around him or if he wasn't. My intention was to just vent about clueless comments made by clueless people. The guy recently got back into riding, he fell in love with it again, is fixing the bike and going to continue riding. Maybe he will become more aware. But who of us has not made a mistake or had a brain cramp while riding.
And Yes it was a Triumph, and I don't know or care if they have a forum. It is irrelevant.
Ride safe friends.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Yeah see, I wasn't implying that OP's buddy was anything other than someone who lost concentration. I've done it, we've all done it, but have maybe just been lucky so far. Based on OP's posts, it sure sounded like there were plenty of things going on at that intersection that would have made most riders heighten their senses AND adjust their course accordingly.

Let me ask you, what do you do at busy intersections? Do you just ride through and assume that everyone is going to see you? If you're approaching and a car from the side street is still moving, do you continue on? Rolling stop (OP's own words) means the vehicle was moving and never stopped. What is so hard to understand about that?

Yes, I understand that there are times when you can do everything right and still get hit - BlackPharaoh's accident is a perfect example of that. That's a risk you take when you ride. However, if you pay attention and ride under the assumption that every cager is trying to kill you, then you're more likely to avoid being taken out unnecessarily. In turn, you'll give all of the non-riders less reason to think that motorcycles are dangerous.

Wording it this way, I agree with you more. Of course, a smart rider takes extra precautions in certain situations. Intersections are one of the situations that make me most apprehensive and cautious. I trust nobody.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stated like a true poser. Grow up.

Quick Reply: Non Rider Opinions