General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Rider Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:38 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 148 Likes on 68 Posts

Certainteed Outstanding HDF Member
2008 HD Sportster

tell people this: if the damned thing kills me, know that it saved me first. besides, i'd rather die while in the process of living my life... rather than die in the process of living your life.

Perfect, mind if I pass along this reply?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

not at all

Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Well, IMO it's guys like him that CAUSE all of the ruckus over how dangerous bikes are. If he got taken out because a woman "rolled through a stop sign", then it was his fault. You have to ride under the assumption that everyone is trying to kill you so, at intersections, you slow down and LOOK at EVERYTHING that's going on there, THEN proceed. It doesn't sound like your buddy did that and he paid the price for it. What he also did was bolster all of the non-rider's arguments that bikes are dangerous when the truth is, they're as safe as the person whose riding them.

Sorry Friend, but if you don't pay attention out there, you end up a statistic. In your buddy's case, maybe all of the non-riders are correct? Tell him to take a basic rider's course, pay better attention out there and show the nay-sayers that they're wrong.

Are you freakin' serious? Also, how do you know he didn't take a safety course.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 770 Posts

Sooner or later we're all gonna have something happen while riding. It may or may not end up with something broken (human or machine) or just a close call, but it has be used as a learning experience. I'm sure from now on your friend will wait until all traffic that could be used to kill him has come to a stop.
It's like being told by people who just want to be negative that once you have an accident in your car you need to stop driving.
If he still wants to ride he should do it, just with a heightened sense of awareness.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Stash905
Are you freakin' serious? Also, how do you know he didn't take a safety course.
YES, I'm freaking serious. More often than not, it's rider error that causes accidents. Yes, the woman was no doubt in the wrong, but if I trusted every cager at a stop sign, I'd have been dead years ago and so would you.

By rights, OP's buddy should have seen the woman in the car LONG before he got to the intersection. As he got closer and realized that she was "slow rolling" through the intersection, seeing her tires still moving, he should have adjusted accordingly - slowed, stopped, swerved around, etc., etc.

The reason I mentioned the riders course, is because that's part of what they teach you. You always scan 2, 4 and 12 seconds ahead so that you know what's coming up. 12 seconds is a long-*** time and gives you plenty of opportunity to adjust. It just doesn't sound like his buddy did that.

Guess I should have been more specific . The lady slowed like she was going to stop and then came right out into the intersection. He had no where to go as there was oncoming and turning traffic. There where witnesses and it was not his fault. Lady was cited. My point was that people should not voice there opinion re. what danger lies out there, unless they have lived it. just sayin
No, you were pretty specific in your OP - this only makes it worse. What you described IS a slow roll (no stopping at all). Now you throw oncoming turning traffic into the mix - even more reason for him to be on his toes. It may not have legally been his fault, but from what you describe, it sure sounds like he could have avoided it.

And, don't get all bent outta shape here. You started a thread and asked for opinions... didn't you?

I'm not following your logic here how is he part of the problem ?
When a rider loses concentration then accidents happen and people automatically assume that motorcycles are dangerous. Then, bikes in general get a bad rap. So, by not paying attention, the guy had an accident that probably could have been avoided. Rather he just proved to his loved ones that what they are telling him is true. Let's face it, we all know people who ride like asses and get in accidents. At least the ones that I know, are ALWAYS blaming someone else. Just so we're clear, I'm in NO WAY saying OP's buddy was riding like an ***. I'm just saying that some people, based on their riding style, are just statistics waiting to happen.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 05-14-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

You said it all when ya said, 'non bikers'. They have no idea. Hope your bro gets better quick and back up. Once its in ya blood, it never leaves.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
alto
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope your friend gets healed and strong and back on two wheels soon. Riding is dangerous. So are a lot of things. I won't live in a bubble. We can do everything possible to think, see, react etc but we can't have total control of every situation 100%. He is the one to think about it over and over. He'll know IF there was something he could have done differently. Maybe so...maybe not.
I wish him well.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

You don't understand you can hurt or killed on these things before you ever get on one your a damned fool and dense one too boot . His problem let him deal with it he'll either get another bike or he won't .

Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
More often than not, it's rider error that causes accidents.
True, the most common accident is failure to negotiate a turn. Typically the result of not understanding how counter steering works (inexperienced rider) or an experienced rider going into a turn too hot.

Yes, the woman was no doubt in the wrong, but if I trusted every cager at a stop sign, I'd have been dead years ago and so would you.
The second most common accident is failure to yield and while having your head on a swivel will help, it does not mean that you will be able to see everything all at once. Assuming that the rider could have prevented the accident is simply ridiculous. So, don't confuse luck with skill.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 PM
hoops928
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said TwiZted Biker...

Quick Reply: Non Rider Opinions