General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, lookin for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012 | 09:58 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by Irishknight
hey there,im a fairly new rider been riding about a year and i am a fulltime commuter rider in southern ca,what i would do FIRST before even saving up for a bike or anything is take a basic riders course,MSF they have one in long beach just to see if you even like riding also they will teach you how to ride,its a little fast paced but they do that on purpose to weed out the riders that think riding isnt for them,also PCH is no joke,tons of traffic and crazy drivers,i went to MSF and had no experience and just couldnt get the clutch and throttle concept so after the first day i got counseled out but i was so hell bent on riding that i still went out and bought a brand new honda shadow spirit 750cc cruiser for 6k,put 3500 down,just that first day of MSF helped me so much and taught me the basics,then i spent the next few weeks riding around my neighborhood,then hit the streets slowly then finally the freeway then finally went back to MSF,rode my bike there and back both days,even though i been riding freeways busy streets etc MSF taught me so much going back,passed got my certificate in the mail took it to the dmv and presented to them and they gave me my motorcycle license on the spot(had my m1 permit) so i would take theMSF course first before anything else!! now after almost a year im ready to upgrade to a harley and trade in my honda this november goodluck to you though !
Good post here. Take the MSF first. I believe they use the Honda 250 Rebel.

I saw the Honda CR250 advertised for $4099 new. Take the course and THEN go buy something like that. It will be reliable, efficient and have a warranty. Ride it for at least two years and learn the basics. During that time you can save for a future Harley. You would be able to sell it easily, and for a good return on the original cost. You'll then be in position to: A) Know what you want in the HD line, and B) Afford a used Harley that is in good condition.

Ride safe!

Last edited by PghCycle24; 05-12-2012 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Andriod effed up original post!
Old 05-11-2012 | 10:14 PM
Rj Watters
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HDwildcat
I think its safe to say I've 'been there' . I understand the desire to own a Harley, but I agree what others have said, family comes first. Do not shortchange your family just to have a Harley. My family was me, my daughter and one old house. All I made was going to pay the bills. A Harley was just not realistic. I had to give up being a mechanic to find jobs that paid more just to keep up. I became a repo man cause it paid very well. It also meant repoing bikes. I needed a bike and an M license. All the guys I knew had Harleys but were not gonna let me practice on one, so I went and bought a new 450 Honda Rebel for $3000 paid in full. Yes I had to eat a lota crow for years but it was paid in full and had a warranty. I was able to save extra money for that one day when I could get a Harley. I went without a bike for many years in between but it paid off. I don't think you'll be an outcast nowadays like it was back then. Most Harley riders now don't care who rides along as long as you ride with common sense.
So if your short on funds, you may be better off with a new metric with warranty and maybe no payments. Not much to worry about besides gas and insurance. Then you and the wife can start a Harley fund. I just don't see getting a running carefree Harley for $2500 ... unless thats your down payment on a new one.

Thats my .02 cents plus tip .

Whatever you do, Good Luck and ride safe !
Thanks, great advise, and I think this is the route I am headed. In all honesty, I don't really care about what other people think about me haha, so that wont be an issue, my only concern with going the "knock-off" route was reliability, and with that question answered, Im looking for a shadow or a vstar, which will be just fine for me to learn on, and if i do happen to screw up and lay it down, Im not putting too much investment at risk. In a year ill be able to put some more $ aside and put 5 or 6 grand to one. Not to mention getting the bike will allow me to increase my income which will be great.

as for the MSF, I'm already signed up for one at Coastline in June (on my birthday weekend!) My cousin is a Harley rider and former California Sheriff and he wouldn't allow me to ride without doing it haha.

PCH is kind of traffic cluttered, but the views are so pretty! haha, especially down here in Orange County.

I do appreciate the advice, and I don't want anyone to assume that I'm making a impulsive "i want to be a cool biker dude" choice, when weighing the pros and cons of getting a car or motorcycle, everything just seemed to make more sense for me to get a bike, which was kind of a shock to me, because my wife had been pretty adamant about me never getting a bike, then a couple weeks ago, she just... changed her mind haha. just out of no where. Thats why I dont have much set aside for the purchase. I just wanted to know if i should continue to throw some aside and wait for an affordable sportster or take what i have and just get something to learn on (that wasn't going to end up costing me an arm and a leg in maintenance) and get a real bike down the road.

and I'm very glad i asked about "fixer uppers" because where I can handle myself in a volkswagon or an old muscle car, I really didnt know it would be as difficult as all that getting a fixer for myself before figuring out my way around an engine. I do plan on doing the majority of the stuff that i can, so that I can be there one day. The idea of spending the weekend with my bike and my son in the garage is so enticing, and I never had a dad to do that with, I would love to have that with my son, so hopefully i can figure out the workings of the machines

again, thanks for the advice, and I hope you guys don't mind if i hang around the forums in the meantime while i save up for a Harley.

Old 05-11-2012 | 10:48 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Harley's are luxury items. Everybody wants what they can't afford. Unless you have a few grand saved up, forget a Harley. And don't buy a project! And don't go into debt! If you actually have money for a new toy look for a deal on a smallish older sport bike that you can learn on. And don't forget--insurance can be expensive.

Old 05-11-2012 | 11:08 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I just want to add that riding a motorcycle slow (under around 10mph) and riding one faster are two entirely different skill sets. both are very important. Riding a motorcycle slower is actually more difficult because you have to be good with your clutch control and balance. At speed the bike wants to balance itself more or less. Riding a BMX bike rarely encounters countersteer. So. Although some of it may translate, you'll have to learn to ride from scratch. A Honda Shadow or Sportster 883 aren't bad bikes to start on. I rode mopeds, scooters and dirtbikes as a kid and my first motorcycle was a Sporty.

As for using the bike as your primary source of transportation? I think that if you can afford it and based on where you live, it's really not a bad idea. The good news is your wife won't have you picking up a long list of groceries after work. lol

Old 05-11-2012 | 11:34 PM
Rj Watters
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by baka1969
I just want to add that riding a motorcycle slow (under around 10mph) and riding one faster are two entirely different skill sets. both are very important. Riding a motorcycle slower is actually more difficult because you have to be good with your clutch control and balance. At speed the bike wants to balance itself more or less. Riding a BMX bike rarely encounters countersteer. So. Although some of it may translate, you'll have to learn to ride from scratch. A Honda Shadow or Sportster 883 aren't bad bikes to start on. I rode mopeds, scooters and dirtbikes as a kid and my first motorcycle was a Sporty.

As for using the bike as your primary source of transportation? I think that if you can afford it and based on where you live, it's really not a bad idea. The good news is your wife won't have you picking up a long list of groceries after work. lol
just another bonus about getting a bike :P for some reason, there's always a list of things for me to grab on my way home from wherever i am.

anyway, I was searching for shadows and Vstars and this add popped up.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3008898421.html

I like the bike, i like the style of it, but how hard would that be to learn on? is it going to be a horrible idea? the price is perfect for where i want to be, and i've noticed a few around this price range.

Also, is a bike all custom like that safe or are there possible structure issues that might be a danger to ride on?

hope i'm not buggin you guys too much, I'm learning a lot about things i was unaware of even thinking about, and in the end thats only a good thing.

and as for me goign into debt, I've never financed anything in my life. I don't like the idea of payments. I'm learning that it was a pretty bad idea to go so long without ANY credit, but eh, i dont plan on buying a house for at least 10 years, after i move to Virginia next year to finish school, I dont know where i'll end up after that, and even then, chances are we'll end up moving again in a couple years after that. I have time to do stuff later.

Last edited by Rj Watters; 05-11-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2012 | 11:56 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Rj Watters
just another bonus about getting a bike :P for some reason, there's always a list of things for me to grab on my way home from wherever i am.

anyway, I was searching for shadows and Vstars and this add popped up.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3008898421.html

I like the bike, i like the style of it, but how hard would that be to learn on? is it going to be a horrible idea? the price is perfect for where i want to be, and i've noticed a few around this price range.

Also, is a bike all custom like that safe or are there possible structure issues that might be a danger to ride on?

hope i'm not buggin you guys too much, I'm learning a lot about things i was unaware of even thinking about, and in the end thats only a good thing.

and as for me goign into debt, I've never financed anything in my life. I don't like the idea of payments. I'm learning that it was a pretty bad idea to go so long without ANY credit, but eh, i dont plan on buying a house for at least 10 years, after i move to Virginia next year to finish school, I dont know where i'll end up after that, and even then, chances are we'll end up moving again in a couple years after that. I have time to do stuff later.
Which bike to get as your first bike is a very personal choice. Some people learn on dirt bikes. Some leanr on a Sportster. While others will get as crotch rocket. I've seen where others have gotten a full dresser. My suggestion is to get a bike you believe you could live with for a while. In my opinion if you get a scoot you'll quickly outgrow is wasteful in the end. But getting some uber expensive dream machine is irresponsible also. If you think that bobber is a bike you could live with for a while, do your due diligence on it first and go for it.

I know you've mentioned it, but I can't recommend the MSF course strongly enough.

Old 05-12-2012 | 12:08 AM
Rj Watters
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by baka1969
Which bike to get as your first bike is a very personal choice. Some people learn on dirt bikes. Some leanr on a Sportster. While others will get as crotch rocket. I've seen where others have gotten a full dresser. My suggestion is to get a bike you believe you could live with for a while. In my opinion if you get a scoot you'll quickly outgrow is wasteful in the end. But getting some uber expensive dream machine is irresponsible also. If you think that bobber is a bike you could live with for a while, do your due diligence on it first and go for it.

I know you've mentioned it, but I can't recommend the MSF course strongly enough.
enrolled in 4 weeks i totally like the old school feel the bobbers give, thats the kind of bike i've always envisioned (specifically an ironhead, with a suicide shifter lol but thats not realistic for quite a while, if ever. suicide shifters kind of scare me) I was just curious if it would be dangerous to learn on, like picking up a 1000cc sports bike to learn on would be.

Old 05-12-2012 | 12:31 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Looked at the ad you posted...very cool looking, but IMO as a new rider (with a family) I would get something close to stock so it is likely to handle properly and not risk someone else's creative idea of road worthiness when it comes to chopping. That bike will have virtually no suspension which means any rough pavement will be hazard, espeially with less experienced rider. Maybe have one of your knowledgable family members take it for a ride to test it if you are determined, but I'd say pass.

Cheap metric will let you ride it for a year or two and sell without much depreciation so you will get your money out of it to put towards your Harley. 4,000 is closer to minimum entry for an 883. 6,000 will get you an Evo Dyna....wait for the right bike.

I rode 10 years in SoCal without a car so it can be easily done. You will love it.

Old 05-12-2012 | 12:58 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Avoid modified bikes!

Old 05-12-2012 | 06:45 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Looked at the ad you posted...very cool looking, but IMO as a new rider (with a family) I would get something close to stock so it is likely to handle properly and not risk someone else's creative idea of road worthiness when it comes to chopping. That bike will have virtually no suspension which means any rough pavement will be hazard, espeially with less experienced rider. Maybe have one of your knowledgable family members take it for a ride to test it if you are determined, but I'd say pass.

Cheap metric will let you ride it for a year or two and sell without much depreciation so you will get your money out of it to put towards your Harley. 4,000 is closer to minimum entry for an 883. 6,000 will get you an Evo Dyna....wait for the right bike.

I rode 10 years in SoCal without a car so it can be easily done. You will love it.
Originally Posted by lo-rider
Avoid modified bikes!
Absolutely! I'm leary of modified Harleys, but the thought of a modified metric is frightening. Look for stock or close to stock, NO engine mods, and something in the 650-750 class if going used. New I'd opt for the CR250 or similar.

Quick Reply: New rider, lookin for advice