General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions on Wiley X's sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 AM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default questions on Wiley X's sunglasses

I am looking to buy Wiley X AirRage sunglasses but have a couple questions. First of all I need day and night glasses and was wondering if the transition Wiley X sunglasses do get dark enough for day riding? And do they become clear or almost clear in evening/dark suitable enough for night riding? I am considering prescription glasses too but not all that sure. I have prescription glasses for both reading (near) and far seeing however I only use the glasses typically for reading in the evenings/night. I can watch my TV from ~20 feet away but my TV is 60” LOL. Last night I tested my prescription glasses by trying to read the AIM (American Iron Mag) by looking through the far portion of the glasses (upper part) and realize I could not see **** even with the magazine only ~2 feet in front of me. This brings me to another dilemma…if I got Wiley X’s with only far ready prescription lens…I would not be able to see the speedo and/or gas gauge…yeah I know some of you say to heck with speedos. But my point is maybe my eyes are not bad enough so maybe I can do without prescription lens for now? If I bought Wiley X’s in transition lens and eventually dowthe road I need prescription lens can any company add prescription lens to my Wiley X’s? Cannot seem to make up my mind but I know I *need* riding glasses so I am going to order some soon. So how are the transition lens on Wileys X’s?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In bright direct sun, like driving east into a morning sun or staring into a setting sun in the evening, they will not be dark enough. Most of the rest of the time, they should be adequate enough to ride without squinting. For normal night
riding in town on well lit streets they are fine, perhaps a little dark out in the country on an unlit road. This has been my experience with them.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM
blueridge
Tourer

exactly what I am looking for. I know everyone may be slightly different but since I still need riding glasses a little "off" would not hurt. After all we may not always be driving in direct sun. But I wanted to check how they advertise etc. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM
rberni
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

I wear presciption wiley x SG-1's at night, I do not have bifocals but can see the speedo fine. I have problems seeing the gas gauge but now it don't work anyway. I also have a pair of transition glasses that I sometimes wear during the day in my truck but they do not get dark enough due to the windshield blocking most the UV rays. They probably would get dark enough on a bike though. When there is no light they are crystal clear.

I believe that Wiley and the other prescription motorcycle glasses have to come from the factory due to the shape of the lens. Not something that can be crafted elsewhere. At least that is what I was told when I went to get mine, said it takes a week or longer because the order them from the company.

If I had it to do again I would have got bifocals or whatever they are called so I can see close up. As it stands now I rarely use my glasses cause I can't see **** close up when I have them on.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridge
I am looking to buy Wiley X AirRage sunglasses but have a couple questions. First of all I need day and night glasses and was wondering if the transition Wiley X sunglasses do get dark enough for day riding? And do they become clear or almost clear in evening/dark suitable enough for night riding? I am considering prescription glasses too but not all that sure. I have prescription glasses for both reading (near) and far seeing however I only use the glasses typically for reading in the evenings/night. I can watch my TV from ~20 feet away but my TV is 60” LOL. Last night I tested my prescription glasses by trying to read the AIM (American Iron Mag) by looking through the far portion of the glasses (upper part) and realize I could not see **** even with the magazine only ~2 feet in front of me. This brings me to another dilemma…if I got Wiley X’s with only far ready prescription lens…I would not be able to see the speedo and/or gas gauge…yeah I know some of you say to heck with speedos. But my point is maybe my eyes are not bad enough so maybe I can do without prescription lens for now? If I bought Wiley X’s in transition lens and eventually dowthe road I need prescription lens can any company add prescription lens to my Wiley X’s? Cannot seem to make up my mind but I know I *need* riding glasses so I am going to order some soon. So how are the transition lens on Wileys X’s?
I wear AirRage with transition prescription lenses. For me, they are dark enough for sunny-day riding. But they are not as dark as most regular sunglasses. At dusk/dark they are clear. They will also get clear if you wear them inside a restaurant/bar. I purchased these from a local optometry shop and they did it all...transitions and prescriptions. So its not necessary to go to the factory. Fit is great, really seals the eyes, and love the elastic strap. You can really snug-it-up so the glasses don't vibrate in windy conditions. Wife bought a pair as well at bike week. She likes them as well.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 PM
ewjax
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple pairs of Wiley-X prescription sunglasses. After a lot of searching around, the best prices I found were at:

http://www.rx-safety.com/

I have the Brick and the AirRage models, one in polarized gray and one in polarized brown. I like the Brick model the best, but that's just a personal choice, they both work great. The foam eyecups are great for wind protection for your eyes.

As for transitions - if you are going to also use them for driving a car, it's worth noting that normal transition lenses only work when struck by UV light, which is completely blocked by a windshield. So normal transition lenses are generally ineffective when driving a car, unless you have the top down or sunroof open etc. There is however a new type of transition lens that doesn't require UV light to work, called Drivewear. I have a pair of them too, and love them, although it is worth noting that they don't really get light enough to wear inside a building.

However, if you are only going to wear them on your motorcycle, the whole UV argument is moot, and regular transition lenses should work. I just don't have any to comment on how well.

Good luck.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Rooster37
Road Master

Got mine about two weeks ago and love them. I have the transitions and they are good 95% of the time. Like the others have said, riding into the sun in late evening is still hard. I have wore mine riding to work early in the morning and have zero problems seeing. Just remember that real cold weather can trigger the transitions to darken.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM
103megawatt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have four pairs of Wiley X glasses, (work pays for perscription safety glasses each year). I get them made at the optomitrist office where I get my annual exam. They are progressive lenses, anti scratch, made with transition lenese in brown or grey color, and meet OSHA standards. Dark enough in daytime here in the desert so I don't have to squint while I work 12 hr shifts outside. Big issue will be the type of lense that is made for the Wiley X frame, that depends on where the optometry shop send them.

I like them and use them for shooting, bike riding, work, everyday stuff.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on rxsafety - Best Price I could find...I just got a set of progressive bifocals in the dark gray polarized, (not transitions), and love them... I do not ride at night if I can help it... but, when I walk into my shop in the day time with lights out, I can see as well with them as without.
Polarized is the way to go...cuts glare totally.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also wore Wiley X Air rage. I only wish that they were progressive as I really can't see the gauges well. The transitions also really didn't lighten well for me. My solution, since I wear a modular helmet, was to buy a new helmet with an integral sun screen and wear my regular progressive glasses. Problem solved! Now I use my Wiley's just for normal driving (cage) and as my everyday sunglasses.I only use them riding when I wear my 3/4 helmet.

Quick Reply: questions on Wiley X's sunglasses