Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the FXRG Jacket worth 600 bucks or is it a RUB only item?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:18 PM
camarotuner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the FXRG Jacket worth 600 bucks or is it a RUB only item?

I don't normally wear HD stuff. I think I own a few shirts from a few rallies but that's about it. I broke down and bought myself a pair of HD boots because I liked them and wearing 20I docs on a daily basis kills your feet. But since I had to be at the stealership anyways (parts order) I got bored and started browsing. The FXRG jacket is pretty damned nice. I was playing with the leather one, XL, and it's damned comfortable. Love the upper chest pocket, enough room for a full size glock and a handful of clips. Plus it's still got more pockets for all my other crap since I don't ever use a saddlebag. Two things though, it's 600 friggin dollars. That's 30 lap dances folks. Or 6 lap dances with happy endings. Plus, I ride around with a bunch of guys who tend to rip heavily on this kind of crap. So is the FXRG jacket a RUB only item or is it actually worth the price of admission?

PS - Yeah, my decisionwill bepartially based on how the people I hang with would perceive the jacket. Weakness is not a good sign to show to people. At least not where I stand.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 313 Likes on 192 Posts
Default RE: Is the FXRG Jacket worth 600 bucks or is it a RUB only item?

I think you could get as good or better a jacket (non-HD branded) for less than that.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:22 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

I just got the Nylon FXRG the other day. I love it. Right now it is a little stiff though and I hope it works out a bit.

As for it being a RUB item... Dunno. I would be the ultimate Rich Urban Biker if I didn't give a crap and just paid for the new skin I would need if I wreck.

I had a friend give me crap about my leather and my full-face.... And then he dropped his bike. He wears full leathers now.

And the nylon is half the price of the leather

Old 01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never seen a jacket worth 600 bucks.

I've got a 88 buck Steerhide jacket that I bought from JC Whitney 15 years ago that has seen tens of thousands of miles and one wreck. It still works.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:34 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

I've never seen a jacket worth 600 bucks.

I've got a 88 buck Steerhide jacket that I bought from JC Whitney 15 years ago that has seen tens of thousands of miles and one wreck. It still works.
I would agree that $600 is excessive... That is why I went for the $300 Nylon Version. Waterproof instead of water resistant.

My HD Hein Geirick jacket was like $200 and I have had that thing about 12 years or so. I do have another leather jacket from HD that I got a couple of years ago that was $300...

Spending $300 for a good leather with armor does not hurt my feelings too much. But like I said... still cheaper than skin.

But for $600 you can get some nice saddle bags.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 PM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked that jacket out last time I was at the dealer. Its real nice and damn comfortable but IMO $600 for a jacket is crazy.I have a $100 leather jacket I got from a local store awhile ago and its holding up fine.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Come on People 600 bucs!!!!!...........I'm sure it's a fine jacket......But I'm sure you can find the equal at a little more than 1/2 the cost.This thing has RUB written all over it.IT's just a cow.......not a MINK

Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

600$$. Does it say made in China.?????[8D] For less you could have one taloir made for you here in the USA. Its your money, do what you want.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

In Harley's defense... it is not just a regular leather jacket... it is pretty weather proof and has more venting and armor than a lot of similar jackets out there. I still think it is too much... but that is what sales are for. In about a month all the leather FXRG stuff is going to be about 30% off around here.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:49 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

btw... go over to Dennis Kirk and look at the jacket section... they have some that are higher than $600.

It all comes down to how much is your skin worth to you. Will the FXRG protect you better than a $99 jacket at Bob's Leather shop? Probably. But probably not much more than a $250-300 jacket. I think the "value add" is that it is part of the suit since it physically connects to the pants. So... you can use it as a jacket or part of a riding suit. And MOST leather jackets do not have the pass through venting this thing does.

Again... but it on sale... or from Zanotti's

Quick Reply: Is the FXRG Jacket worth 600 bucks or is it a RUB only item?