General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who will replace the old guard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 AM
TCooper4653
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jyoumb
oh boy. this is answering my query real well with my additional question: what's a twin peaks?

i'm not getting out of bed tomorrow.
The girls that don't wear enough clothes to a Hooters interview, get hired at Twin Peaks.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

If you're 30 and under and can afford a house payment, car payment, and motoycycle payment, raise your hand.

A motorcycle is a toy. Not a lot of younger people are financially stable enough to have the disposable income to own a toy, especially one that's at the higher end of the market in terms of price.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Here's my take on this. I've been to a few bike nights at various spots and the sport bike crowd is well represented. The also doesn't seem to be any lack of funding to invest in their rides. Their bikes may cost less initially then a Harley does, but they can chrome, paint and do hi perf work with the best of them. And those bad boys move. I think the younger generation equates power and speed, with good value. And just about any stock rocket will rip past a worked Harley. These guys are keeping the sport of motorcycling alive. They may not all ride Harley's, but they are Having as much fun.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM
chopped7
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Here's my take on this. I've been to a few bike nights at various spots and the sport bike crowd is well represented. The also doesn't seem to be any lack of funding to invest in their rides. Their bikes may cost less initially then a Harley does, but they can chrome, paint and do hi perf work with the best of them. And those bad boys move. I think the younger generation equates power and speed, with good value. And just about any stock rocket will rip past a worked Harley. These guys are keeping the sport of motorcycling alive. They may not all ride Harley's, but they are Having as much fun.
i read this entire thread to make this point. younger riders are looking for speed and performance. i have no idea what went wrong with the buell partnership but it seemed like the perfect marriage. the young guys i work with all ride rockets. when they are my age they will ride harleys. i think the moco knows this and wants to continue to serve the demographic that butters their bread. how many 60 yr olds ride 'buas?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by chopped7
i read this entire thread to make this point. younger riders are looking for speed and performance. i have no idea what went wrong with the buell partnership but it seemed like the perfect marriage. the young guys i work with all ride rockets. when they are my age they will ride harleys. i think the moco knows this and wants to continue to serve the demographic that butters their bread. how many 60 yr olds ride 'buas?
Harley Davidson did.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

does the old guard have a parts number?