General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming to the aid of down riders...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Phadreus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming to the aid of down riders...

Hi all,

The wife and I were out for a nice cruise today through Fort Ancient in SW Ohio. It’s some nice riding road, all in great shape, clean, no gravel or anything to trip you up…however, it is some technical riding in some spots. There are lots of really steep hills with sharp turns, off camber turns, and blind turns. Not the best area for newbs to break in their new found skills for sure.

So we came down this long hill, very steep, riding against the motor in 2nd gear, on the breaks the whole way when we came upon a couple that had just went off the road in the middle of the turn. I pulled over, shut the bike off, sent the wife down the hill to warn people coming up to stop. Another guy on up the hill flagging people, I run down into the ditch which was soft, muddy, full of chunks of limestone the size of my head to see if I could help. The rider was pretty calm, didn’t actually go down, was sitting on the bike embarrassed and not knowing what to do. I yelled for another fella that just stopped for us, he came down and we each took a leg of the fork to back him up out of the ditch. Luckily, he was on a Dyna Street Bob, so not the heaviest HD by any means. I thought HD’s were heavy pushing around on flat, pushing one up a hill in the ditch was much more difficult than I would have imagined.

The riders wife was calm as can be watching us push her husband up out of the ditch. We grunted, heaved, hoed and low and behold two more riders stopped and came to help us. By the time we hit pavement, there were a half dozen riders all coming to help and others on bikes lined up blocking traffic for us. Very cool! I look down the hill and my wife stood with her arm around the rider’s wife telling her “you guys will be fine, we won’t leave until you guys are ready to ride and we know you’re good to go, don’t worry”. Was proud of her getting involved so quickly.

Ok, so the weird part. His bike sat dead, would not turn over at all. No dash lights, no fuel pump buzz, nothing. He sat for about three minutes, and his wife began to worry wanting to know what was wrong with it. I looked the bike and saw no damage beyond a heat shield torn from the exhaust. I told her my Honda Sport Bike had a tilt sensor that would shut power off to the fuel pump which would reset once the bike was stood back to zero degrees, maybe the HD had something like that. No sooner than I said that, the bike fired up and ran fine. We hung around until she was on back and they were on their way.

So, my theory of lean angle sensor, does HD run anything like that on their FI models? I was completely taking a swag in the dark, had no idea.

Lastly, I must say, it was pretty inspiring to see so many riders coming to the aid of this poor fella and his wife. My wife and I were prepared to stay as long as needed and was happy to do so. Guess this is part of what guys talk about with “brotherhood”…very cool to be a part of. We hoped we built some good karma today…

Be safe all!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Yes they do have a lean angle sensor and you have to cycle ignition to reset. Glad you were able to help and no one was injured.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM
greendragon52
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, they do have a lean sensor, found out the hard way. Wife and I went to visit a friend at his new house on our "01 EGC and parked in lot downhill from his place, first time at his new place. His g/f was parked in what looked like a narrow drive way, and I did not want to try to squeeze past her cage. Friend waves us up and says we can easily squeeze past the cage. Come up the rise and turn into the driveway. All of a sudden I see a huge exposed municipal drain pipe running across the front of his driveway, the type were the metal is ribbed and run in a spiral. Spirals going one direction and I'm coming at them from the other direction. Luckily, I was going slow, but even still the bike started slowly tipping over. Laid the bike down, no damage to the bike but nasty road rash just above my elbow. Got the bike back up and it took awhile for the bike to start. Tried to start it a few times and eventually it kicked over. Ran fine after that, no problems.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
kmnjr
Cruiser

Good for you! It has nothing to do with a "brotherhood" or being a "biker" and everything with being raised right and doing the right thing. Good people are sorely needed and hard to find in this crazy mixed up world......don't sell yourself short by crediting some make believe "brotherhood" for your actions. If you follow many of the threads on this topic, most wouldn't of stopped to help. Do a search, it's really interesting. So much for the "brotherhood"! lol

Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Good for you, It's not a brotherhood thing. It's a being human thing.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 PM
MB-WideGlide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you guys , you done the right thing. This world could use more people like you and your wife.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree.. good on ya both

Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The lean sensor is one of those things that can go bad for no other reason than it decides to go bad. If that happens, like it did to a friend's Heritage, it won't run until it's replaced.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 AM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

It's nice to be part of a selfless effort that helps someone that can't fix their own problem, isn't it? World needs more of that.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ditto to a lot of the previous threads.Not about anything other than doing the right thing,and your wife and you did!

Quick Reply: Coming to the aid of down riders...