General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Road to Harley Ownership!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 PM
gatrgurl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Road to Harley Ownership!!

I'm so excited. I have a red 2012 Dyna Switchback reserved for rental at my local Hardley dealership tomorrow. I'm as nervous as a new bride. I currently ride a Kawasaki 900 Custom. The Switchback is considerably heavier, and it's a Harley (maybe no major differences, but lots of suttle changes). I'm renting first to help make the decision for purchase. I won't purchase until I know it's a fit and I can handle the weight. Everyone keep your fingers and toes crossed that this works out! I've got about 10 years of riding experience, and almost 100k miles under my belt. I just keep telling myself I'll be ok. Opinions please...

Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can ride a bicycle then you can ride a Harley.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 PM
gatrgurl
Cruiser

Funny that you mention riding a bicycle. When I got my first bike and finally got on the open road, if I made anything resembling a mistake...my husband would take me home and put me on a bicycle and make me repeat the skill until he was satisfied that I was proficient. Today I'm grateful, then I was livid. But his craziness strengthened my riding skills, and I do realize that's what was important.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:50 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people tend to over think the whole thing. if your big enough to hold it up then act like its a **** commercial.

<edit>Holy **** what is going on. That bleeped word is N.....i.....k.....e. Why in hell would that get bleeped?

Last edited by 09FLHT; 05-04-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The switchback is a nice bike. I like the hardbags. I have a street bob. It really handles well.
The Harley is heavier but the weight is low so you really don't notice it. You will do just fine. Just don't think about it. Your natural experience will come thru. With 100000 miles under your belt you can ride just about any bike.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 AM
IronhorseMP
Advanced

While I commend your caution (a motorcycle with make you suffer from the sin of arrogance), if you really do have 10yrs/100k miles under your belt, you'll be just fine with a little familiarization on your new bike. Good choice, by the way - that's a good looking bike.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:54 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll do just fine...You won't regret a thing!!!

Originally Posted by gatrgurl
I'm so excited. I have a red 2012 Dyna Switchback reserved for rental at my local Hardley dealership tomorrow. I'm as nervous as a new bride. I currently ride a Kawasaki 900 Custom. The Switchback is considerably heavier, and it's a Harley (maybe no major differences, but lots of suttle changes). I'm renting first to help make the decision for purchase. I won't purchase until I know it's a fit and I can handle the weight. Everyone keep your fingers and toes crossed that this works out! I've got about 10 years of riding experience, and almost 100k miles under my belt. I just keep telling myself I'll be ok. Opinions please...

Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 AM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 09FLHT
I think people tend to over think the whole thing. if your big enough to hold it up then act like its a **** commercial.

<edit>Holy **** what is going on. That bleeped word is N.....i.....k.....e. Why in hell would that get bleeped?

So they let you make it on "****", but "****" gets the shitcan? Weird-

Let's see

Yep- there it it- saw it upon preview. How about reebok? addidas? NEW BALANCE!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll be fine. Only thing I don't like about the switchback are the bag. Seem kind small, I think they could put bigger ones on it.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 548 Posts

So, how was the Switchback compared to your current bike?

Sounds like your going about the whole purchase the right way too...rent, ride, buy! No good being stuck or taking a hit on buying a bike, only to trade it back in...ask me how I know!

Quick Reply: The Road to Harley Ownership!!