General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAYTONA ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 AM
fxdwgcvo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAYTONA ????

any of you peops that are familar with daytona and florida law i have a question??myslef and a few other newbies are heading down for the week some of us have windshileds some dont,in mass if ya have a w/s you dont need goggles??what do i need to make sure i have so im not harrassed by the leos.
2nd my buddy has a mass permit only can he ride in the state of florida

thanks
peter
2001fxdwg2cvo

Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: DAYTONA ????

In Florida, you have to have eye protection even with a windshield.

If you ride helmetless, you have to carry proof of $10k worth of medical coverage.

http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool....orcycle/en/0/4

Old 01-03-2007, 11:52 AM
v2in
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this AMA site. It gives you state by state motorcyle laws.
www.amadirectlinc.com/legisltn/laws.asp Hope it helps.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:01 PM
v2in
Tourer

sorry, it's amadirectlink not linc.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Ultra07
Intermediate

Went to Bike Week - March 06 and had a lot of fun. Zig zagging through several statesfrom Texas and back was the best part of the trip. The local's in Daytona Beach told us to take some time out to ride "The Loop" while in town. It was worth it...and only about 20 miles long. You should consider it if time permits.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I think your buddies mass permit only allows him to ride in mass. Go to the mass dmv site and look it up. Most states permit only allow you to ride in that state and only the rider, not a passenger.

Hope it helps

Bubba

Old 01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior

I rode downto Daytona for Bike Week 06 from NY with only a permit....didn't have any issues, but didn't get stopped either.

Make sure you get up north of Daytona towards iron horse saloon...Rhett Rotten does his Barrel of death show there..also like Ultra said, run the loop - its a great trip thru some scenic roads.

Word of caution - if you're running LOUD pipes or No baffles, keep it sedate in town. On the main drag, if you rev it too loud,Dayotna PD will come up to you, tap you on the shoulder and pull you over and start writing tickets. Also watch the elderly drivers who NEVERsee you andwatch out forthe sand. [:@]

Where ya staying?....I'm trying to get the OK from the Mrs for another run in '07.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've mentioned a couple of times before but will briing it up again for those who may have missed it. If you are looking for a place to stay try http://www.vrbo.com/ click on the Daytona are of Fl. and it will give you a ton of listings of places for rent. Homes, Condo's, apartments, time shares with a wide range of prices. I've been using it for about 5 years now and it has always worked well for me. We stayed here for a month last year http://www.vrbo.com/13069 and have it booked from Feb 17 to March 18 this year. Before this we rented a beach house in New Smyrna...

Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 AM
fxdwgcvo
Cruiser

kj and bubba thanks iam staying at the hilton daytona beach ocean walk village unless things change im probably going to leave mass about sat am and hope to get there sunday night the 4th ,ive heard different things what to have not have goggles even though ws is on bike etc.Im thinking about trailering since i do have to be back to work that monday .are any of you guys maybe riding down from the northeast ???or has anyone trailered .My last resort will be to fly and enjoy once there but without the bike ??any ideas things i may need to bring??does $230.00a night seem like a lot for a hotel ?????

Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior

If youtrailer, you need to find a place to store it while you're down there...forget ANY hotel keeping a traileronsite for you....

230 seems steep but if I recall right, the Hilton is basically at the head of the strip....we paid 120/nite last yr...it wasn't right on the strip but was a 2min drive/5 minute walk up A1A...place wasn't a palace but itwasclean, had hot showers,no bedbugs,AND they had secured bike parking with an attendant all nite. Thats pretty key. (You'll see signs for "bike parking" all over the place - if its someones front yard, FORGET it.Leave it on the strip - noone messes with it there) Ohh..and the hotel had some Girls Gone Wild crew staying there the same time doing a jello wrestling show. Sometimes it all just comes together.

Bring some cool weather gear cause last yr while we were there ,only a fewdays were t-shirt worthy. Bring cash. and bring MORE cash! There's ALOT to do. Numerous rides, you can even run a lap at Daytona. Main street has alot going. Best live music was at Full Moon Saloon.Down Main St across the river, by the HD dealer, there's ALOT going on also. Shows, custom rides, toomuch too list.

If we go this yr, we'll ride down. It'd suck to there w/o a scoot.We left NYC at 6PM Sat...arrived in Daytona at7PM Sunday after crashing about 8 hrs or so in NC. Great trip once we left the 25 degree weather. Its a blast. I think I gonna go see if I can help the Mrs with something...

Quick Reply: DAYTONA ????