General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stanford University Student story about Harley's

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:52 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tycho124
................... My daughter, Mellie, needed to write a short story for one of her classes at Stanford. The story needed to deal with Illness or Death. She wrote a story about a life cut short. My Harley and I are the subject of the story
Your dead?
I dont get it.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello my Harley riding brothers and sisters! My daughter, Mellie, needed to write a short story for one of her classes at Stanford. The story needed to deal with Illness or Death. She wrote a story about a life cut short. My Harley and I are the subject of the story but believe me when I tell you that I couldn't be happier, prouder or more humbled by what she wrote. Her professor liked it so much that she got a Perfect Score PLUS Extra Credit. It's a short read but a great one. Check it out. I proudly present...

https://sites.google.com/site/myfatherlucileandme/

Sharing the opening paragraph:
My father’s motorcycle demands attention. Its chrome parts seem to shine with a special brand of grace, gritty and honest in nature. Its engine, though decorated with hints of rust, is a work of art. The paintjob has lost its pearly shine, but despite this and other signs of aging, I can’t help but think that this machine becomes more elegant as time passes. “She’s a classic beauty,” my dad used to say of his beloved bike. I now understand what he meant.
You did good texting from the grave!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

You should be very proud!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

?Almost didn't read it. Glad I did.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What a wonderful story! My grandaughter, who we have raised since 14 months old, starts college in August and is an aspiring writer. I'm going to share your daughter's story with her. I'm sure it will inspire her even more than she is now.

Tell your daughter thanks in advance for helping my grandaughter.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
jnh45
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It feels good to watch your little girl become an intelligent confident young woman huh?

I've got two.......you did good.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Mr. Root Beer
Advanced

I loved every word! Your daughter has some writing skill, that's for sure. Some of the memories she talked about are very similar to those experienced by my father and I. Tell her a job well done! Good luck at Stanford.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM
jackets
Cruiser

Wonderful writer, she is!
Get 2 things: 1) Her own bike
2) A physical
Maybe she's trying to tell you something!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:08 AM
kmb102
Cruiser

Wow!!! it really takes talent to right like that!! through the whole thing I had a vivid picture of what I was reading!!!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:29 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello my Harley riding brothers and sisters! My daughter, Mellie, needed to write a short story for one of her classes at Stanford. The story needed to deal with Illness or Death. She wrote a story about a life cut short. My Harley and I are the subject of the story but believe me when I tell you that I couldn't be happier, prouder or more humbled by what she wrote. Her professor liked it so much that she got a Perfect Score PLUS Extra Credit. It's a short read but a great one. Check it out. I proudly present...

https://sites.google.com/site/myfatherlucileandme/

Sharing the opening paragraph:
My father’s motorcycle demands attention. Its chrome parts seem to shine with a special brand of grace, gritty and honest in nature. Its engine, though decorated with hints of rust, is a work of art. The paintjob has lost its pearly shine, but despite this and other signs of aging, I can’t help but think that this machine becomes more elegant as time passes. “She’s a classic beauty,” my dad used to say of his beloved bike. I now understand what he meant.
It says in the story your dead - I don't get it.

Quick Reply: Stanford University Student story about Harley's