General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI..bullshit? or legit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

OP
First word of advice go back and re read the past five pages of advice there is some really good info/advice. A few posts back Welding!!!! A few mention passion for the job

nightmistautomotive kind of explained it point on

Some advice my old man gave me years ago you need both an education and a skilled profession. Remember it does not stop at MMI continued education in related fields also to go with that foundation.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garand
Are there any welders out there? I hear the country is short something like 300K welders.
The last I checked there are many inexpensive schools to start making your way into welding w/ entry level positions out there starting out better than $9/hr. You can continue to take other courses as your skills progress and advance.

I have a short term plan to save up and pay cash for Hobart's school of welding in OH. I've been looking closely at the 8 month course for Combination structural and pipe welding.

I'm also considering buying a flat bed as a secondary vehicle to begin putting together my own welding rig.

Any opinions? Sorry, I know this is off the topic of MMI.

Where I live the area is saturated with welders. We have a modern welding school. They pump out students and have flooded the job market with them. Most welders around here make less than 15 and hour. I left the field years ago because of this.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
Where I live the area is saturated with welders. We have a modern welding school. They pump out students and have flooded the job market with them. Most welders around here make less than 15 and hour. I left the field years ago because of this.
Thanks for the info. I've got less than 5 years in the Army before I retire. I'm kicking around ideas on what I'd like to do. I've got an associates in applied science in applied technology, and I've got less than 12 months to finish my bachelor's in occupational safety and health. I'm just trying to do anything that'll make me marketable.