General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI..bullshit? or legit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Do a search. This topic has been beat to death. I know four people that went to MMI here in Phoenix. After five years later none are wrenching on bikes. Another way to look at it is how all these schools flood the market with new cheap labor every year. How many students are in a graduating class X's 2-3 per year. How many dealers are out there and able to hire.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullSquadron
i suppose i do? i learned how to work on my old bike by myself. it was a 1978 honda cb. i worked on the carbs myself, changed the tires, brakes, etc. so i guess i didnt do anything too fancy.

If you were able to do stuff like that on your own without being shown then yes you have some sort of ability. Just make sure turning wrenches is what you want to do for a living. Like stated already, it's by no means a career choice that is going to lead to a lot of money anytime soon, if ever , especially working for a company.

Also most of these schools just show you have the ability to learn. Most jobs like that send you out at least once or twice a year for more training on new products and techniques. You will meet plenty of guys in industry that never went to school and are making the same or more than you. That will be a hard thing to swallow when you are paying back a 30k student loan.

I guess my point in all of this is, if you are going to spend 25 to 30k on an education. Get a education that isn't going to involve a manual labor job.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,686 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
Do you already have a strong mechanical and technical aptitude? I ask this because I work in a field where we hire a lot of people from tech schools like ITT or Devry. They spend top dollar on these 2 to 4 year tech schools. But most of them just don't have the natural mechanical or technical aptitude to perform well in real world situations. Just throwing this out there, that no matter how good the schooling, if you don't have some sort of knack for it, you will never get it. Just some food for thought. Good luck with your career choice.
So true. I hope the day will come when talent and interest will be regarded rather than degrees and certificates. Sometimes I think high priced education is the next "bubble" that needs to burst.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doer
Sometimes I think high priced education is the next "bubble" that needs to burst.
I'm with you on that.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

So true. I hope the day will come when talent and interest will be regarded rather than degrees and certificates. Sometimes I think high priced education is the next "bubble" that needs to burst.
I got a lot of crap for my "book smarts" when I got into my first shop. Hope that bubble bursts too!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with that! I think it has already began to burst. I know a lot of college grads that do nothing but complain about wasted money and no opportunities. 4 years of school to move back into mom and dads and wait tables, tends to demotivate. Im sure this generation experiencing this may raise there kids with a different line of thought, when it comes to college and when and how it is used.

Last edited by Captain Smooth; 05-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM
SkullSquadron
6th Gear

thanks a lot for all input guys. pretty much solidified my thoughts on the subject.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Amen!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so does that mean you are going to the school? hahaha

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 PM
blackchipjim
Road Captain

Carears are tough to choose in the first place, this economy stinks. If you pay that much for school make it worth while in a profession that pays.If you goofed off in high school you just got a wake up call.

Quick Reply: MMI..bullshit? or legit?