General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got in an accident today

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I saw the date and wondered how everything went.

Glad you're okay and a lawyer was the first thing I thought of, other than how lucky you were to make it without any real serious problems.

Be safe and ride alert!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Cholo
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad to hear you get to upgrade from the Sportster. Would recommend a Fat Bob or Wide Glide, great bikes.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 AM
mrmikey32
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveliter
How could the cop write her a ticket without observing the violation?

To OP, hope you feel better and hope her insurance fixes your bike.
I had 4 witnesses pull over, as well as in illinois the officer does not need to be present.

She was issued a ticket.

As for upgrading, I purchased an 04 sporty a week later.

I will say this though. If you are ever in an accident, get a lawyer. It has nothing to do with suing, and all that ****. But I have medical bills out the *** that are not getting paid, and the lawyer is taking care of all of it. Granted I could pay them off, or bill my own insurance, that is not the right way to do things.

I will be getting a settlement out of all of this, but I could careless about it. My arm is permanently disabled, I still have a fear of this intersection, which i have to drive through every day, and it is just not a great memory.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:50 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmikey32
i lost feeling in my left hand, and my leg is going to be severely injured. I have 13 screws and a plate in it.

I just tried to get my helmet lock key out of my pocket, and I had an issue.

As far as suing, I dont care about the money. I just want the motorcycle replaced or fixed. Unless my leg or hand remains the way they are, thats it.
I see this wasn't a new post. But my advice still is relevant for anybody else that gets involved in an accident.

Go see an attorney. Don't count on the other person's insurance being 'fair' to you. You sound like you had some real physical damage, and it may get worse over time. Your motorcycle getting "replaced or fixed" is not that important in the big picture.

In 1,5,10, or 50 years the motorcycle will only be a memory. You really don't want to 'live' with a physical disability that could be prevented/corrected now. Trust me on this.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 09-12-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Go see an attorney. Don't count on the other person's insurance being 'fair' to you. You sound like you had some real physical damage, and it may get worse over time. Your motorcycle getting "replaced or fixed" is not that important in the big picture.

In 1,5,10, or 50 years the motorcycle will only be a memory. You really don't want to 'live' with a physical disability that could be prevented/corrected now. Trust me on this.

Ron
my accident was over a year ago, but since i am still dealing with it, i wanted to update this.

Just to give people an idea how long this **** takes.

I have a lawyer too.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rjg883c

Ron
my accident was over a year ago, but since i am still dealing with it, i wanted to update this.

Just to give people an idea how long this **** takes.

I have a lawyer too.