General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got in an accident today

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

This is not the time to be positive about stuff, mechanical or medical ... it's the time to be certain. Once you sign that liability release, it's over and all on you. Be cautious, especially with anything medical or frame damage.

On the bike, I suggest you take it to the dealer. They will quote Harley parts and labor at HD prices. Take pictures of the damage so you have the records.

Then, you have a decision to make. You can HD fix it and have the insurance company pay HD. Or, you can settle for cash - you can insist they send YOU the check, not the dealer (don't let them tell you otherwise). If you settle for cash, then you can get parts off the internet and do the work yourself and pocket the difference. This is a perfectly legit and legal strategy, but don't say anything to the adjuster about it.

I did the same last year. HD wanted $922 for a gas tank. I got a primed FXDF tank from Zanotti's HD for $450 and had it powder coated. Did a lot of the work myself and the money went a lot further.

Next, if your bike has never been in an accident, don't forget about diminished value. Fact is, after an accident, even if repaired, your bike isn't worth what it was before the accident. That is a genuine economic loss you are entitled to recover. Think about it ... 2 identical bikes ... one has been in an accident and one hasn't ... same price. Which would you buy? How much cheaper would the accident bike need to be to buy that one? That is your damages. Can be 20-30% of the book value of the bike.

That said, state laws differ and the insurance company will try to BS you about it. My first offer for diminished value was under $500. I ended up with $1,800 when they realized I'd done my homework and would call a lawyer or the state insurance department after they told me there was no such thing permitted in MD.

Dude, she caused the accident. You were damaged - physically and economically. Even though you are OK (most important) and all you really want is you bike back in good shape, this is NOT the time to play Mr. Nice Guy.

Getting compensated for what your damages are is not being greedy. It is only fair.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already contacted my lawyer, just in case.

I have been in a vehicle accident before, so not new to that.

the bike is on its way right now to harley, and they are open till 8pm. so, they will call me once they look it over.

I know all too well about the liability release, and will not sign or settle until I have some one else look at it.

Thanks for all the advice, as this is my first motorcycle accident.

The only party i worry about, is that its going to cost a lot more then the bike is worth. there is no way I can replace the bike either for what I paid for it.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you get any witness statements. A guy my wife works with was in an accident last winter where he was hit buy a older man who ran a red light. The older man recieved a ticket based on witness statements. When he went to court to fight the ticket my wifes co-worker didn't go and non of the witnesses showed up, he found some "witness" somewhere to say in court that he had the green, he won and his insurance refused to pay the damages. Moral of the story, contact the witnesses a couple of days prior to the court date and hope they and you show up.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

Originally Posted by XKnight
This is one of the main problems with America today, everyone is ready to sue everyone else whether it's justified or not. Whatever happened to honesty and integrity. If he's truly injured then by all means he should get compensation for medical bills, injuries and pain and suffering. However, if he feels fine with no serious injuries then there is no need to turn this into something that it isn't.

I've had this thought before myself. I think the problem with this way of thinking is that the whole system is set up to guard against dishonesty and lack of integrity. We just don't have a 1950's culture anymore. So if the majority of folks are leaning towards gaming the system, then those that are operating in an honest fashion are set to lose.

How many people have their young kids in daycare so both parents can work? It's tough not to, right? So all these folks with double wage earners are helping costs across the board to be wayyyy high for families with one bread winner, right? To me personally, it makes a lot more sense for my wife to stay home with the kids while I work. Hell, most of what she would make would go to daycare for us, so what's the point? Anyway, those that do what I see as the right thing face an uphill battle with expenses that would not nearly be so high if the majority of families had a single parent working outside the home. And please understand I'm not trying to condemn anyone here, I don't know all situations. Just trying to point out how the system can beat you if you cut across the grain.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrmikey32
illinois is an at fault state. she has state farm(great company to deal with)

The police officer is not only a family friend, but a personal friend.

i am just wondering if they will total out the bike though.
I'll 2nd that on StateFarm,and uhh.....good ya made it out breathe'n, much less type'n.....Bikes can be fix'd.......or replaced.....

Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain

I have both witnesses phone numbers. one was a scooter rider(really nice guy), and the other was the one who was stopped in the other lane at the red light. I wont go into details, but lets just say i come from a long family of police.

Oh, and now I am headed back to the ER. I have no feeling in my left hand, and my shoulder is popping out of the socket.

At least I am still walkin right?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrmikey32
I have both witnesses phone numbers. one was a scooter rider(really nice guy), and the other was the one who was stopped in the other lane at the red light. I wont go into details, but lets just say i come from a long family of police.

Oh, and now I am headed back to the ER. I have no feeling in my left hand, and my shoulder is popping out of the socket.

At least I am still walkin right?
Well that IS a positive,dude.....good luck in the ER......

Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Been through 2 claims. Took the bike to my local dealer. They charged me $100 for the estimate that would be reimbursed if they did the work. They dealt directly with my insurance company (progressive) and everything on the bike that had so much as a mark on it was replaced with new factory parts. And I got to keep the old stuff.

In the one case it was a govt vehicle that struck my wife's bike. Took over a year for the Feds to cough up the $500 deductible I had to pay by going through my own insurance. So if you ever get hit by a govt vehicle better hope you have full coverage.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you take a picture of your bike after the accident?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain

my gf took pics of every single small dent/scratch that was not there. and we just detailed the bike too, so we knew every single ding/scratch on it.

Quick Reply: got in an accident today