General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got in an accident today

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am hoping you guys can help me out, but what is the normal procedure for getting a bike fixed?

and where have you guys brought your bikes if needed?

I am leaning toward the dealer since its not on my dime.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you came out of this with minimal hurt/damage.

1. Let insurance handle it.

2. Taking it to a dealer for inspection will only cost you $100 or so. If you let them do the repairs, they credit you the $100 toward the repairs. Well, my local dealer did in 2003. Plus they can find things you might see yourself - i.e. bent frame. My insurance looked at the bike & came up with $700 damage & H-D dealer did an estimate of $1,700. Insurance was going to pay for a primered fender for dealer to paint which WILL NOT happen because H-D does not release their paint codes. And a few other things the examiner totally missed.

3. Don't sign anything saying everything is okay UNTIL IT IS.

4. If you smacked her car hard enough, you might have some injuries that won't crop up for a day or so - i.e. wrenched neck or back. I'd make sure I'd have that checked also. I wiped out water skiing years ago & felt okay for a day or so until I woke up one morning & couldn't stand up straight to get to the bathroom.

Last edited by Unome; 05-03-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just drop it off at the dealer for an estimate. They'll make up a list of parts/labor for the insurance adjuster.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Take it to the dealership and call State Farm claims and let them know. The claims adjuster will go over the bike with the dealership to determine if it can be repaired or will be totaled.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Dude, glad you are okay! you just won the lottery! Doesnt your neck or back or legs or hips or SOMETHING STILL HURT???? Hmmmmm, bike repairs, injuries, pain and suffering, missed days of work, extended disability time (to ride)........winner winner chicken dinner!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Dude, glad you are okay! you just won the lottery! Doesnt your neck or back or legs or hips or SOMETHING STILL HURT???? Hmmmmm, bike repairs, injuries, pain and suffering, missed days of work, extended disability time (to ride)........winner winner chicken dinner!
This is one of the main problems with America today, everyone is ready to sue everyone else whether it's justified or not. Whatever happened to honesty and integrity. If he's truly injured then by all means he should get compensation for medical bills, injuries and pain and suffering. However, if he feels fine with no serious injuries then there is no need to turn this into something that it isn't.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM
GuyManDood
Advanced

Very glad you're okay. Good luck getting everything sorted out.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off glad you are ok man!

Second, Xnight I think this is called humor, and I am pretty sure it went way over your head....lol

Originally Posted by XKnight
This is one of the main problems with America today, everyone is ready to sue everyone else whether it's justified or not. Whatever happened to honesty and integrity. If he's truly injured then by all means he should get compensation for medical bills, injuries and pain and suffering. However, if he feels fine with no serious injuries then there is no need to turn this into something that it isn't.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:06 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain

i lost feeling in my left hand, and my leg is going to be severely injured. I have 13 screws and a plate in it.

I just tried to get my helmet lock key out of my pocket, and I had an issue.

As far as suing, I dont care about the money. I just want the motorcycle replaced or fixed. Unless my leg or hand remains the way they are, thats it.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:09 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrmikey32
i lost feeling in my left hand, and my leg is going to be severely injured. I have 13 screws and a plate in it.

I just tried to get my helmet lock key out of my pocket, and I had an issue.

As far as suing, I dont care about the money. I just want the motorcycle replaced or fixed. Unless my leg or hand remains the way they are, thats it.
You should sue. Even if you're lucky enough to return to normal, you're probably going to require extensive physical therapy.

Quick Reply: got in an accident today