General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hells Angels suing Rob Dyrdek

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM
UncleMort
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
No not really.
Wasn't meaning it in the way of "criminal vs illegal" or but just the irony that for so long the Gov was infiltrating and trying to bust and shut down and muck up the HA...and now it is someone doing something "criminal" against them. For so long the Gov has preached "criminal" when referring to HA, now they have to side with them......as would they (if it was really going to happen) side with the dealer in a money theft situation. *chalk up to bad example I guess*

Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by sucherman
Seems like there's an obligation to police their,(81s) mark.
Exactly. And the corporation (club) that owns the mark cannot decide or choose which violations are legally enforced. Even if someone in that club gave the guy a wink and nod on this design without gaining legal approval (i.e. licensing the likeness) there will be probably be some damages awarded.
I'm gonna go out there and say that club may have been the first to incorporate and file for legal protection of "all that is" decades ago when they got burned in biker movies.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Exactly. And the corporation (club) that owns the mark cannot decide or choose which violations are legally enforced. Even if someone in that club gave the guy a wink and nod on this design without gaining legal approval (i.e. licensing the likeness) there will be probably be some damages awarded.
I'm gonna go out there and say that club may have been the first to incorporate and file for legal protection of "all that is" decades ago when they got burned in biker movies.
Agreed. Years ago Harley stated they had to go after even the mom and pop shops that weren't really making any money to protect their trademark.
Otherwise it could be use as precedent against them later by another making the claim they didn't move to protect it then, why now against us?

Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 PM
UncleMort
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. And the corporation (club) that owns the mark cannot decide or choose which violations are legally enforced.
Example: I used to be president of an offroad, Jeep-exclusive club. The word "Jeeps" was in our club name. We were also a 401-3c non-profit. GM/Hummer was in court with Jeep over the "7-slot Grill" which Jeep has trademarked. Hummer reps brought up our club in court, saying they let us break their own rules, so they have to let them....of course, DC reps had no clue about our club until then....I got a phone call one night from a legal counselor for DC, who basically said we had to change our name, or be sued. Now, they wouldn't really sue one of their own clubs...but they called almost daily to check progress and even helped me file all the new name stuff.

Anyway, just saying, you can't pick and choose, you have to enforce all trademarks the same, all the time.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Unome
I can't see it working out too well in some parts of the country for anyone wearing that emblem. The HA don't take kindly to people wearing their logo & not being actual members.

I am betting they wouldn't say a thing. They have MTV dead to rights over that trademark violation.

HA probably makes more money on rights and merchandising than any other enterprise by a long shot.

You can't go to an even here without a booth with them selling known associate support gear.

I saw a show other day had a corrections officer with a known associate shirt on while on his Harley. I thought what a moron... Ultimate poser.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by cromagnon
You would have thought MTV lawyers would have screened that first. Anyone with half a brain knows that logo

doubtful... Some dope presented it as a stock art piece they probably thought they were buying the logo from the dumbass artist or designer I guess would be the correct word.

It may not be as cut and dry as some here think and it might not be MTV that is ultimately responsible. If they got it from the designer MTV probably won't need to pay ****. Then they'd have to show that the designer had prior knowledge of it.

I am guessing out of court settlement <5 million. They won't be able to get punitive damages etc.

The barrier they have to cross over is identical? No not exactly close but not identical in the eyes of the law. Will it confuse people? In example Will people think they are part of HA because they have that shirt? Was HA harmed? did someone wearing that shirt rob a store and the cops put out an APB for an HA member..

I hope HA wins just not sure it is that cut and dry

Last edited by RoaringRigid; 05-03-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:47 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

HA did do an incredible job rightfully protecting their logo, IP etc. EXTREMELY smart move. And it is interesting how someone or a group has to police it for all counts and cannot pick and choose.

Another brand that is extremely protected is Tiffany's they probably only break even on lawsuits for the legal they have to have to enforce.

Last edited by RoaringRigid; 05-03-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

So much money in TV ... this stunt (possibly a publicity stunt) could be a money maker for MTV (ratings) even after they pay damages ...

I never heard of the show till this incident, jus sayin

Never Know

Not so good for the rip artist ... bet he he won't mess with 81 in the future ...

Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I hope the Angles make a huge pile of cash on this deal at the expense of MTV. This will be a great precedent for future scumbags who wish to steal others commercial property.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM
MotoSoul11
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Obviously none of you watch Rob Dyrdek. The man does so much for charity and those who have nothing. The dude has a huge heart and is all about making everyone around him happy.

When is the last time you bagged up new clothes for homeless people, or gave a poor family an SUV? How about paid to build an entire skate park? Flame on all you want, but I'm not going to back HA on this because I want to sound cool. Yes Drama made a mistake, but seriously, talking like HA should make millions from this? Maybe a cease and desist, and a reparation, but not millions.

Like I said, flame on....

Quick Reply: Hells Angels suing Rob Dyrdek