General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation system that doesn't cost an arm and leg for a bike.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
JohnH50
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garmin Nuvi 550 will give you the basics and it's waterproof and vibration tolerant for motorcycles. With a RAM mount and a hard wire harness it s/b less than $400 even after shipping. Check the net for several dealers and go from there.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my smartphone with the navigation app. Voice turn-by-turn directions. Took my wife and I all the way from Melbourne, FL, to Lackland AFB, TX for our son's graduation from boot camp. Never missed a beat and the app was free. Upgraded the phone recently and the new phone had it as a standard app. The app also includes satellite view, and filters for things like motels and gas stations. And, as someone else stated, they update the maps on a regular basis.

Last edited by Lyttuch; 05-03-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
GuyManDood
Advanced

Can anyone suggest a good / proven way to mount an iPhone on an SG? Thanks!

I've been saving my pennies for the Garmin 660(?) but based on all the feedback, I'm convinced I don't need it.

Ride Safe!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyManDood

I've been saving my pennies for the Garmin 660(?) but based on all the feedback, I'm convinced I don't need it.

Ride Safe!
This is a Ram Mount with the X-Claw - WORKS GREAT - will hold almost any device you have. Can be rotated for various displays to be correct orientation.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer

Originally Posted by GuyManDood

Ride Safe!
I've been told Ram products are good. They include a part that mounts to the bar and then a piece designed for your phone, iPod, whatever. But, I also know someone who had to get a new phone due to rain damage. Personally, I'd just keep the phone in a pocket and use Bluetooth or a wired headset to hear the directions...unless I was darn sure the weather was going to stay nice.

Ah, tOSUSteve beat me to it LOL.

Last edited by Lyttuch; 05-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Great Gazoo
Tourer

this will solve the weather issue...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arkon-Bicy...older/15406270

Old 05-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Limit
Cruiser

I've got and currently use my iphone. Make sure you have a way to power it, for the non-touring guys, cause it'll burn out quick.

I'm thinking of getting something else though. The turn by turn is great. I use Waze. My biggest problem is losing a signal. I'm in Wisconsin where it can get hilly though so maybe most people don't have that problem. Not a big problem if you're looking just to cruise, but sometimes it takes forever to get a good signal.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 AM
DJA
Advanced

If you have a touring bike the cheapest and easiest way is buy a Garmin with Life Time Maps and Traffic. Get one that is bluetooth compatible(that is the only thing I wish I had done besides the one I have) and the Garmin will come with a suction cup that will attach to the Gas Cap. No vibration and I got my Garmin 1450 for $89 with life time maps. I think the next model up has bluetooth. Some on this forum have done same and ran power thru the gas cap to plug right into their Garmin. Nice Idea. Just cannot bring myself to drill holes in my bike. Sure beats Harley's $$$$ unit. Bluetooth will allow you to hear the directions. Just my thoughts
DJ

Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Jesus, something else to distract someone from the mission of riding... WTF is wrong with LEARNING how to read a map? Seriously, the highway system is so easy to figure out in this country, I cannot imagine why anybody uses GPS on a bike.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Retrax
Tourer

Nothing is wrong with learning how to read a map. GPS with turn by turn is handy when you are in unfamiliar surroundings. I tour all over the country. My maps don't show me where hotels, gas stations, or restaurants are. It just takes a split second to find a place to eat or stay and then get live directions on how to get there.

Sure, I could pull off somewhere and ask someone for directions (I personally don't care to do that), or I can rely on modern technology. Especially helpful when driving in a large metro area with busy traffic. Rather than trying to negotiate traffic and remember a bunch of turns to get around in, say Dallas, I can give my phone a verbal command and it takes me right where I want to go, without pulling over on the side of the freeway to re-check all my turns written down on a napkin.

Different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: Navigation system that doesn't cost an arm and leg for a bike.