General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Wear Aerostitch At All?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts
Question Why Wear Aerostitch At All?

I keep going back and forth getting Aerostitch or not. Pls help!

My Riding:
I ride every day 365 days a year based in S. Florida (warm/hot weather typically).
Each year I ride ALL over the USA in the summer months.
I log abt 29K miles/year.

I hear a lot of people have it but y? If it rains, I put on light or heavy rain gear IF ANYTHING AT ALL.

I wear 511 pants, boots, neck/face banff (like a bandana for sun protection) and long or short sleeve shirts. Carry light HD netted jacket, a hoody and heavy winter leather HD jacket. No matter what comes at me, I am prepared. Chaps too.

So why to I REALLY need the Aerostitch? WHAT does it do for me? Only thing I can see is IF u put rain gear on, with Aerostitch it is RAIN PROOF u do not need to stop.

Excuse my ignorance but what am I missing??

BuzzCap7

Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Aerostich will not do anything that others, like First Gear can't. It's about quality and status. I'll tell you right now that if you live in a warmer climate (imo) Aerostich does not have sufficient venting. Yes, Gortex breathes and is waterproof. But they just don't have proper venting imo.

You asked about First Gear vs Aerostich in another thread. I have to wonder why on earth you would compare those two? They are from opposite ends of the motorcycle apparel spectrum. Don't get me wrong - I like First Gear. In fact, I like it better than Aerostich (Yes - I have owned both). Why do I like First Gear better? Can't really say (other than it has much better venting), but for whatever reason, I'm not a Stich fan. I guess I think it looks dorky and it costs too much for what it is. That and the whole smelly old BMW rider thing.

If you really want to dump wads of cash on motorcycle clothing buy Motoport Kevlar mesh jacket and pants. That is the sh*t. If you want to look cool, buy Belstaff. It's as expensive (if not more) as Aerostich and has more history (yes, I have some of that too).

Or buy the Aerostich stuff and get it over with.

PS - the combat boots are pretty nice though.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

If you like an Aerostitch product use it. There are other products on the market that you may like as well.
I personally don't own any Aerostitch products. I have a $100 leather jacket that has served me well in all types of weather for many years. I have a newer $100 leather jacket that I'll wear if it's cold out. I also have a rain suit that I carry with me and wear if it's raining, or if I didn't bring a leather jacket with me and it gets cold.
Who knows someday I may buy an Aerostitch jacket and find out that it's the only jacket I need.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,119 Likes on 2,801 Posts

I'm going to subscribe and keep an eye on this one. I'm looking for a good rain suit for an upcoming 2,500 mile trip.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
tlartist
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you wear is very personal. I hit a deer last year so now gear up with Motoport mesh. Others ride in shirt and shorts.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
spelk3
Club Member

In my opinion the Aerostich is better in cooler weather. Does not vent well enough on hot days. I used to own one but sold it.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,119 Likes on 2,801 Posts

What did you go to now Spelk?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
spelk3
Club Member

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
What did you go to now Spelk?
I've got a leather jacket (with CE armor and back protection) I use in the winter with Tourmaster Flex overpants. I also have a mesh jacket for warmer weather. I just picked up a Flex jacket (since I really liked the pants) that I haven't used yet due to hand surgery keeping me off the bike at the moment. I like the Flex stuff, it works well in a very wide range of temperatures. The outer shell zips off to reveal a mesh garment underneath, there is also a removable thermal liner and they are fairly water resistant with the outer shell in place.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spelk3
I've got a leather jacket (with CE armor and back protection) I use in the winter with Tourmaster Flex overpants. I also have a mesh jacket for warmer weather. I just picked up a Flex jacket (since I really liked the pants) that I haven't used yet due to hand surgery keeping me off the bike at the moment. I like the Flex stuff, it works well in a very wide range of temperatures. The outer shell zips off to reveal a mesh garment underneath, there is also a removable thermal liner and they are fairly water resistant with the outer shell in place.
OMG. ALERT ALERT. Notify the Harley fashion police! armored leather, back protection, overpants, I bet he also wears a FF helmet! Must be a poser, can't be a real Hardley rider.
Note: sarcastic post, see photo of geared up rider below

Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Although Aerostich makes some of the. Est suits out there I doubt you will find it useful in Florida weather.

Quick Reply: Why Wear Aerostitch At All?