General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winnipehs Hells Angel Claims his Rights were Violated

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
what if police have a hunch, hand cuff you and your wife, shoot your dog in front of the kids,then turn your house upside down with out bothering with a warrant.. it has happened..
Exactly. Sometimes sent purposely to the wrong address by a paid inform-ate.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Iron Butt Springer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LEO's do have a tough job ill give them that, but when they force an arrest by any means possible where will it end? Judge Dread "I AM THE LAW"

I'm sure this will get deleted cant talk about bad Race Issues or Bad Cops... Keep it Pithy

Last edited by Iron Butt Springer; 04-29-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Louderisbetter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a reason why it's "guilty or not guilty" instead of "guilty or INNOCENT"
2 very different things.
I betcha that if the business was being robbed or something and the cop just kept walking by, ignoring the open door and the running truck outside belonging to a "gang" member, ( sorry that's what cops consider Hells Angels), then he would be hung out to dry for not doing anything...it's kinda what they're expected to do...check out stuff that looks suspicious.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

K9 can key on you house and that can get a search warrant.Don't keep dog biscuits on the coffee table.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
jackets
Cruiser

Sounds like a scene out of a Dirty Harry movie. Even in the 70's, Callahan was always hamstrung by BS like this. Harry did always get his perp though. Hopefully the same happens here.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have a clue what Canadian law is, but in the U.S., there is such a thing as "probable cause to suspect a felony is in progress" which gives all the authority of a search warrant to act, without having to actually have a warrant in hand.

My only question is, if they're keeping that close an eye on persons such as the accused in this case, to the level of even knowing what they drive, why don't they also know their business locations, etc.?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

OP
Why declare he is "81", and some other poster proclaims he is a "known felon"? Am I reading the same article? Canada has a nasty habit of sticking "associate" on any undesirable riding a motorcycle.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
what if police have a hunch, hand cuff you and your wife, shoot your dog in front of the kids,then turn your house upside down with out bothering with a warrant.. it has happened..
Or find out they went to the wrong house.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK_Rider50
It was a business, the door was open, the cop walked in what seems to have been a place open to the public if its a business in a strip mall. Not really enough information but seems to me the cop was O.K. in his actions. Even if our drug laws are screwed up, we pay to have them inforced.
According to the report, "a duffel bag containing benzocaine was found on a nearby shelf. It was only after the arrest Boyd went to a magistrate and obtained a search warrant."

That sounds like a step too far. He searched without a search warrant, & that seems to make it an illegal bust.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 04-30-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 AM
cactus789
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ceekay
I just read the whole article... Apparently, someone exited the business, saw cops, and dashed back in.... This could be enough suspicious activity to warrant justification of actions, but then again it's Canada and I am not familiar with the Canadian Bill of Rights....

Further, the perp is a known felon, Hell's Angels associate (no offense, but they're not exactly the Boy Scouts), and was caught doing blow and about to start manufacturing something. Imho, not the best guy to have on the streets. Still, he was arrested on his own property, without any sort of search warrant. I dunno how law works in Canada, but down here that would be pretty much the last nail in the coffin for this case... Unlawful search and seizure, etc.

- CK
The law up here is basically the same as in the States, rreading the article I don't think the judge is buying the cops story. The article is pretty clear. There has to be probable cause, not a hunch........a vehicle was running....that was it. We don't need cowboys in the police force, in the long run it hurts everybody.