General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Gear versus Aerostitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:56 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts
Default First Gear versus Aerostitch

Which do u believe is better and why?

Thank you in advance.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They're both good gear, I'd have to give the edge to Aerostich though. Most of their gear is made in Duluth and can be custom fit if need be. You are dealing directly with the manufacturer and their customer service is superb. I've been wearing a Roadcrafter for nine years now.
That said, I had the chubby for the Transit leather jacket and ended up with an FXRG from HD. It has more features and way better insulation. Pretty sure the FXRG is made by First Gear.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member

Thank you.

Aside from your answer which I appreciated, this is the 1st time I asked a question without a huge response. Rather surprising.

Thank you again,

BuzzCap7

Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts
Default First Gear

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Which do u believe is better and why?

Thank you in advance.

BuzzCap7

I have three First Gear mesh jackets for her and I - one with CE armor - and matching
gloves. Also have a combo leather / nylon touring jacket that is a real do everything
piece. I like the quality BUT their sizing is all over the place so be sure about returns
if you order. BTW - don't care for their new mesh with the CE armor; like their old
style with just foam protection as it's much lighter and more comfortable.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM
sagalong
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a Kilimenjaro jacket and pants for 10 years. They both were great for rain, cold and wind. They got hot in the summer so I had to get summer gear as well. I was in Duluth and stopped by to check out the roadcrafter. They were great people to deal with. They had most sizes to try on and sit on a bike mock-up for fit. I ended up getting a one-piece. They are lighter than the first gear which is a plus. You can layer better. The padding in the shoulders, elbows and knees are thinner and lighter on the roadcrafter. In the summer months I run around with a tee and shorts under the roadcrafter with all the vents open. I like it better that the first gear. Plus they make them in Duluth and have great customer care. If you go to the store they even have a rack of crashed out fits with stories about the out comes. The biggest draw back is the comments from the fashion police. You'll only feel normal around the beemer and sport touring crowd<BSEG>. Both are good products.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Apples to Oranges.

One is high end, hand made stuff produced in the states. The other is mediocre (but decent) stuff made in China. Each has it's place.

If you wear 1st Gear, you'll be left alone. If you wear a Stich, every pipe smoking intellectual wearing their Roadcrafters will gather around you enveloping you in a blue haze. They'll tell you everything you never wanted to know about the adjustable dampening on their BMWs and amaze you with big words like paradigm and telelever. Their monocles will pop out when they learn you ride a Harley.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:40 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Thank you.

Aside from your answer which I appreciated, this is the 1st time I asked a question without a huge response. Rather surprising.

Thank you again,

BuzzCap7
Until I saw a couple of posts I didn't know what you were talking about. First Gear....Aerostitch? Thought they were rock bands.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:01 PM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have First Gear insulated riding pants. They do the job well. Haven't used the other brand, so don't know what the dif is.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM
kcdowning
Advanced
Default Commuting?

I have a one piece Aerostich. I commute in it 12 months out of the year in Richmond, VA. With some fleece and an electric vest I am good to go to 32 degrees F. That is usually my cutoff due to some bad experiences with black ice. I have to dress for an office environment in business casual. I wear my work clothes under it. I can be in the office, out of it and into a meeting in 2 minutes. In the summer when it is really hot I will ditch the dress shirt and pants on the way home. I have had mine 3 years now. It shows no sign of any wear except for the dirt.

It gets hot in Richmond during the summer. I have tried the vented gear and while it is OK while moving it is hot when stopped. When it is 95 degrees out with 90% humidity and you don't have air conditioning it is HOT no matter what you are wearing! With the vents open I don't think the Aerostich is any hotter then the vented stuff when moving.

I will say it is practically bombproof. You hear about them going 2-300K miles and several owners. I was skeptical but now I believe it. There is a healthy used market and the prices are probably more than the First Gear stuff new. That says a lot about the gear in my opinion.

They are known for their customer service and I was very happy with the whole experience. Top Quality and good people with American made gear.

I hear a lot of negative comments about the suit. I have never heard anything negative about somebody who has owned one. I am sure there are unsatisfied customers but I have not run across one.

They also will repair their gear after you go down. To have anything left to repair is a sign of well made protective equipment. For the price though you could probably buy 2 suits of some of the other brands.

If you have any specific questions fire off a PM.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member

I appreciate everyones input. Still watching for more opinions.

Also wt u think of 1 pc or 2 pcs?

BuzzCap7

Quick Reply: First Gear versus Aerostitch