General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley in a truck with a 6.5' bed ??? Also a ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:16 AM
AceHog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley in a truck with a 6.5' bed ??? Also a ramp?

Why would you buy any truck that doesn't have an 8 foot bed there's not enough money difference to make it worth it.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: Wally

I've got a Chevy Silverado Crewcab with a Super Shortbox, 5'8".
Don't exactly know where the rear wheel would sit, but I know it would be out past the box on the tailgate somewhere where I wouldn't be comfortable. I wouldn't want to trust a piece of 3/4" plywood either.
I've thought about it and this is what I'd do and probably will at some point in the future.
I will get the bike into the box with the front tied to hold it upright , but not cinched right down or have a helper hold it up for a few minutes.
Then I'll slide a piece of blocking, probably an 8 X 8 under the frame below the engine somewhere. I'm thinking at least a couple of feet long. Hopefully this piece of wood will be almost the right height to support the bike without having to jam it under.
Next put on the front tiedowns and pull down on them until the weight is on the wood and the rear wheel is starting to come off of the tailgate. Tie the rear of the bike, probably from the rear crashbars to the back hooks in the truck box and your good to go, no concerns about the tailgate breaking. If anyone sees any problems with this I'd like to hear them.
Sounds like a good idea to me. I was going to replace the side cables on my trucks tailgate withflat steel bars and just screw a piece of diamond plate to the tailgate for the tire to sit on. But I think your idea has the virtue of being usable in any truck, even a borrowed one.
But I'll go you one better. Why not use that wood and pipe "jack" setup that somebody around here has for their garage.
With it you just roll or ride the bike into the bed, tie down the front. Put the jack under the frame and lift it up, then tie down the rear. Same basic idea, but instead of keeping a chunk of wood around just for hauling, you can use the jack for other things as well.
The problem with that idea is that those wood and pipe jacks require the bike to move back as the bike is lifted. Once you would have the bike up you would have to figure out how to move it forward so the front tire was touching the front of the box for the ride and then it wouldn't come off of the jack without moving it backwards when you reached your destination.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: AceHog

Why would you buy any truck that doesn't have an 8 foot bed there's not enough money difference to make it worth it.
It has nothing to do with money. The truck with a 5'8" box and a crewcab is the same length and wheel base as a 6'5" extendedcab which I believe is the same length or real close to the lenght of a regular cab with an 8 foot box. Not everone has the need on a regular basis for an 8 foot box.
My truck is managable in mall parking lots and parking on downtown streets.
One other reason I bought this truck. Women drive it!

Old 01-07-2007, 10:15 AM
AceHog
Road Captain

There was no mention of a crew or extented cab and that's why I asked about a 8 footer. Your right an 8' with extented cab makes for parking problems.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

I've got a Chevy Silverado Crewcab with a Super Shortbox, 5'8".
Don't exactly know where the rear wheel would sit, but I know it would be out past the box on the tailgate somewhere where I wouldn't be comfortable. I wouldn't want to trust a piece of 3/4" plywood either.
I've thought about it and this is what I'd do and probably will at some point in the future.
I will get the bike into the box with the front tied to hold it upright , but not cinched right down or have a helper hold it up for a few minutes.
Then I'll slide a piece of blocking, probably an 8 X 8 under the frame below the engine somewhere. I'm thinking at least a couple of feet long. Hopefully this piece of wood will be almost the right height to support the bike without having to jam it under.
Next put on the front tiedowns and pull down on them until the weight is on the wood and the rear wheel is starting to come off of the tailgate. Tie the rear of the bike, probably from the rear crashbars to the back hooks in the truck box and your good to go, no concerns about the tailgate breaking. If anyone sees any problems with this I'd like to hear them.
Sixth word,five words before " 5'8" "

Old 01-07-2007, 11:13 AM
TexasFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Parking
2. Won't fit in the garage

Old 01-07-2007, 11:28 AM
AceHog
Road Captain

Looking back when I lived In San Antonio I completely understand.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

The problem with that idea is that those wood and pipe jacks require the bike to move back as the bike is lifted. Once you would have the bike up you would have to figure out how to move it forward so the front tire was touching the front of the box for the ride and then it wouldn't come off of the jack without moving it backwards when you reached your destination.
Who says you have to "move" it back to get it up. Why not do it the other way around, tip the "jack"forwards to put it up on the blocks?

Old 01-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

You're not as green as you are cabbage looking, are you Frank?

Old 01-08-2007, 03:17 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Its themilitary KISS principal in action, Keep It Simple Stupid.
Its one of the few things the Army taught me I liked, besides how to blow things up.

Just remember if you do try it the wood is going to try to scrape the powdercoat off the bottom of the frame rails, because the bike can't go forward. I suggest 3 or 4 layers ofcheap wax paper, the real stuff, not the plastic junk. You probably have some in the house already if the wife bakes.
If you carve the leading edge of the wood in a bit of acurve, it won't be as hard to get it under and thewax paper will let thewoodslide even more smoothly under the rails without messing up thepowercoaton you. Works like a dry lubricant.
Getting it down should be easyif you put just a little slack in the tie down straps.

Quick Reply: Harley in a truck with a 6.5' bed ??? Also a ramp?