General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley in a truck with a 6.5' bed ??? Also a ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:07 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Harley in a truck with a 6.5' bed ??? Also a ramp?

use an 8 ft piece of 3/4 plywood to take the stress off the tailgate.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

I've done an 06 RK, 89 FLHT, 93WG and an 84FXR more times than I can count in a 2wd F150 with a 6.5" bed and tnow with the current replacement truck, a 4wd F150 Ext. Cab w/ 6.5" bed.

The Ramp I made is a heavy SOB, but it works well - 3 2x12's nailed together that are 10' long.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got a f250 and have hauled mine in the back and you can feel it . Any smaller truck and Im sure it would be on the fenders. Your talking about almost a 1000 pounds. If you get a short bed truck, use a 3/4 piece of plywood over the tailgate section. Also I highly recommend the bigboy ramps!
ORIGINAL: Twohulabears

Do you have a truck with a 6.5' bed? If so, have you put your Harley in back? The reason I am asking is we are looking at trucks right now. I measured our wide glide and it looks like if we get one with a 6.5' bed, the rear wheel will sit on the tailgate. I was wondering if this will be ok, or if it is too heavy and we shoud buy the truck with an 8' bed. The next bike we buy is going to be an Ultra, so we would need to be able to put it in therealso if we ever have to take it into the shop.My next question is what is a good ramp to use to get the bike up in the truck?

Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 PM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I put my Fatboy in my F150 with 6.5' bed and the back tire did not sit on the tailgate. Have not tried it with the new EG.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:53 PM
TexasFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my Fatboy in my F150 with 6.5' bed and the back tire did not sit on the tailgate. Have not tried it with the new EG.
Same thing here...A FB will not sit on the tailgate with the 6.5'. The F-150 haul's it with out any trouble.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...4/996c722e.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Loading014.jpg

Old 01-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hogaholic

Ive got a f250 and have hauled mine in the back and you can feel it . Any smaller truck and Im sure it would be on the fenders. Your talking about almost a 1000 pounds. If you get a short bed truck, use a 3/4 piece of plywood over the tailgate section. Also I highly recommend the bigboy ramps!

Do you have a truck with a 6.5' bed? If so, have you put your Harley in back? The reason I am asking is we are looking at trucks right now. I measured our wide glide and it looks like if we get one with a 6.5' bed, the rear wheel will sit on the tailgate. I was wondering if this will be ok, or if it is too heavy and we shoud buy the truck with an 8' bed. The next bike we buy is going to be an Ultra, so we would need to be able to put it in therealso if we ever have to take it into the shop.My next question is what is a good ramp to use to get the bike up in the truck?
According to the book, the Max Payload for the F-150 is 1730 lbs w/ a 6.5' bed and 2350 lbs w/ a 8' bed. Is this BS? Do I need to go up to a F-250? (According to the book, the Max Payload for the F-250 is 2800 lbs.)

Here is another question. The Max Payload for the Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 6.5' bed is 2013 lbs and for the 8' bed it is 1574 lbs. Why is it that on the Ford you get more Max Payload with the bigger bed, but with the Chevy you get more Max Payload with the shorter bed?

Old 01-06-2007, 10:38 AM
TexasFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the book, the Max Payload for the F-150 is 1730 lbs w/ a 6.5' bed and 2350 lbs w/ a 8' bed. Is this BS? Do I need to go up to a F-250? (According to the book, the Max Payload for the F-250 is 2800 lbs.)
It's not BS, the F-150 will handle the load (plus more) without any problems.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Chevy Silverado Crewcab with a Super Shortbox, 5'8".
Don't exactly know where the rear wheel would sit, but I know it would be out past the box on the tailgate somewhere where I wouldn't be comfortable. I wouldn't want to trust a piece of 3/4" plywood either.
I've thought about it and this is what I'd do and probably will at some point in the future.
I will get the bike into the box with the front tied to hold it upright , but not cinched right down or have a helper hold it up for a few minutes.
Then I'll slide a piece of blocking, probably an 8 X 8 under the frame below the engine somewhere. I'm thinking at least a couple of feet long. Hopefully this piece of wood will be almost the right height to support the bike without having to jam it under.
Next put on the front tiedowns and pull down on them until the weight is on the wood and the rear wheel is starting to come off of the tailgate. Tie the rear of the bike, probably from the rear crashbars to the back hooks in the truck box and your good to go, no concerns about the tailgate breaking. If anyone sees any problems with this I'd like to hear them.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:09 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wally

I've got a Chevy Silverado Crewcab with a Super Shortbox, 5'8".
Don't exactly know where the rear wheel would sit, but I know it would be out past the box on the tailgate somewhere where I wouldn't be comfortable. I wouldn't want to trust a piece of 3/4" plywood either.
I've thought about it and this is what I'd do and probably will at some point in the future.
I will get the bike into the box with the front tied to hold it upright , but not cinched right down or have a helper hold it up for a few minutes.
Then I'll slide a piece of blocking, probably an 8 X 8 under the frame below the engine somewhere. I'm thinking at least a couple of feet long. Hopefully this piece of wood will be almost the right height to support the bike without having to jam it under.
Next put on the front tiedowns and pull down on them until the weight is on the wood and the rear wheel is starting to come off of the tailgate. Tie the rear of the bike, probably from the rear crashbars to the back hooks in the truck box and your good to go, no concerns about the tailgate breaking. If anyone sees any problems with this I'd like to hear them.
Sounds like a good idea to me. I was going to replace the side cables on my trucks tailgate withflat steel bars and just screw a piece of diamond plate to the tailgate for the tire to sit on. But I think your idea has the virtue of being usable in any truck, even a borrowed one.
But I'll go you one better. Why not use that wood and pipe "jack" setup that somebody around here has for their garage.
With it you just roll or ride the bike into the bed, tie down the front. Put the jack under the frame and lift it up, then tie down the rear. Same basic idea, but instead of keeping a chunk of wood around just for hauling, you can use the jack for other things as well.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:58 AM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

To attest to the F-150s cargo capacity...read below the quote.

Here is another question. The Max Payload for the Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 6.5' bed is 2013 lbs and for the 8' bed it is 1574 lbs. Why is it that on the Ford you get more Max Payload with the bigger bed, but with the Chevy you get more Max Payload with the shorter bed?

I volunteered to use my truck (5.4L w/ 6.5" bed) to move our company's bags from the staging area to the HQ after we redeployed from Iraq. Each bag weighed at least 40 pounds with some up to 75lbs and there were 3 bags per Soldier. We only skipped 10 bags total and I still carried and extra person (180 lbs) with no problems. I looked at it from the side and I had at least 3 or 4 inches of clearance, which isn't much less than stock height. The big V8 had no problems moving those bags up hills and declines, I hardly noticed they were back there except when I went to look out my rear view.

Quick Reply: Harley in a truck with a 6.5' bed ??? Also a ramp?