General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Riding Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Tilter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone by revit. Even their three season stuff is awesome in extreme heat. Revzilla carries it. If you are athletic and fit but muscular order one size up. If you're a fat *** order two sizes up. I tried three sizes up but they don't make anything bigger than my 6' 260 lbs. it all fits now but I'm screwed if I gain even another five pounds.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
I did a search and really couldn't find a thread about summer gear.

Back in about 1985, I had a rear tire blowout and laid the bike down at 65mph. Bike went to the left and my girl and I went to the right. Road rash from my ankle to my hip and from my wrist to my shoulder on my right side. My girl just kinda rode on top of me and got a tiny bit of road rash on her forearm. Anyway, I swore I'd never ride again without protective gear of some sorts. So I always ride with a leather jacket, at least full length jeans, sometimes chaps, and gloves. The jacket is pretty heavy and lined, not really for summer riding, but I've toughed it out all these years. But I'm tired of the weight and warmth. Not as tough as once was I guess.

So what do you wear for safe summer riding?
And before we go there, it's obvious to everyone here, that clothes (just like helmets) are only minimally helpful, so let's refrain from the lectures and the ney-saying.
Olympia mesh pants and jacket, sometimes jeans with Dragin jeans liners or kevlar jeans. Perforated leather is great too.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by oneballz
Its 8:00pm here and 97degrees outside....
I hate posting this as Murphy will get me for this...
I wear Levi long pants, sleeveless shirt, a bandana, no helmet or gloves, and converse all star shoes.
I wish it wasnt so hot here as I would wear more protection. It dont matter how early I leave or how late I return. its too hot to wear protection even for a minute.
Winter dress codes are better.
Your body temp is 92F. Above 93F it is cooler to cover up to protect yourself from the hot air blast which can be like being in a blast furnace.
- vented jacket + cooling vest
- cooling underwear is also cooler as it keeps the sweat from running so it will cool better. Athletes wear this in hot weahter.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Sofa King Goofy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been commuting on the bike for a couple of weeks and testing what is bearable here in Phoenix. It was 107 degrees on the way home today and I was wearing the FXRG perforated leather jacket and FXRG leather overpants. Yes indeed it was warm, however it is tolerable if wearing an Underarmor shirt. The perforated leather works very well and keeps the blazing Arizona sun off your hide. I have a mesh jacket also, but the material seems to collect the heat much more effectively than the leather so it feels hotter. I used the kevlar HD jeans and they were fine but my inner legs were grilling nicely by the time I got home. The leather overpants prevent that. Why all the gear? Commuting in Phoenix on the I-10 and the I-17 is a trip. Running over motorcyclists is almost a sport and a pastime around here. But I still enjoy the ride, even with my gear on. I bring frozen water bottles along just in case of a traffic jam and I hydrate like crazy a couple hours prior to departure. Next month we have the Haboobs to look forward to. Haboobs are not as fun as they sound. But come fall, there is no better place than Arizona for riding...

Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mesh jackets really breath well, you'd be surprised.

Mine is a Tourmaster "Intake Air" mesh jacket with armor in the forearms/elbows, shoulders and up the back. I can feel the breeze blowing through the jacket even when stopped at a red light. When the bike is under way you feel like you're in a t-shirt (massive air flow). Full armor yet light weight and LOTS of airflow.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Suppose to be 101 this week. Ought to get interesting. 60 in the am, wtf.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:43 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

We never ride with bare skin including footwear.The few real hot and humid days we have the bikes are parked,the heat is not good for the bikes and it certainly is no relief especially when you stop or get stuck in slow traffic.