Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Schumacher's new article: Motorcycle Photography 101

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a bad "Camera 101" article..
few other tips..

Digital camera zoom feature the more Optical zoom the better
Digital zoom "simulates" what it should look like.

Tripod for low light or night shots.
Digital is alot more tolerant than film days.

film usually was tripod needed around a 1/4 second or more.
digital you can get away with slight slower.

Multi frame if you need alot of "quick shots"
Like alot of you said Background it probably most important, at least for me.

I have mine hanging around my neck on long rides.
very easy to turn on ,shoot

Overall Shu, it was a nice quick article

Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, try filters for the lens. I have quite a few from my days w/35mm. Star filters work even w/modern digitals just not as well if they can't be screwed on.

My sig using a 4 point star filter is an example on a low cost (4 meg) tiny lens sony camera.

Forcing the aperture to open up can add or detract, users call! I attached an example (same camera) This was before any editing software.

Yes, Schu do a write-up on the next course 201. I'm ready to learn new tricks w/digital cameras.

Attached Thumbnails Schumacher's new article: Motorcycle Photography 101-dsc00172.jpg   Schumacher's new article: Motorcycle Photography 101-dsc00173.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
jayrocker
Cruiser

Thanks for the nice write up I can't wait to get out and take more pictures of my bike one of these days I will update my garage and put some on the site.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 PM
RiverWolf
Road Warrior

Nice job Schu!
There was (maybe still is) a guy on a Honda Shadow site that Schu most likely remembers too. He took great pics by moving his bike to the side or bottom of the pic and at first the focus WAS the background. I like going to black/white, maybe using color on only one thing in pic, another is to use the blur tool on the background.
Keep up the good work!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My sig pic was taken just before sunset, with my iPhone, laying on the ground to get the right angle. When I went to Walgreens to have a print made, the girl behind the counter wanted to see a copyright release... she didn't believe I had taken the photo myself. I showed her my copyright release -- the original pic on the phone.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

For those that want something with the potential to shoot better quality photos thatn a point and shoot but don't want to lug around a DSLR, check out the EVIL cameras. That's Electronic Viewfinder Interchangable Lens cameras like the Micro 4/3 cameras and Sony NEX series. They have much more compact bodies than DSLRs with manual controls and the ability to switch lenses. I have an Olympus E-P3 that I've been taking on my bike with me since it's a lot more compact than my Canon 5D MKII with it's lenses.

And if you really want to have fun, purchase some lighting equipment and go to town.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Good 1 Schu..........

Nikon coolpix -- cheapo

Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Not sure if I followed the rules, but this is one of my recent favorites. The bike was an important element of the photo, but the idea was to show it in the expansive beauty of the Carolina coastal marshes. Anyway, I like it. (And it was taken with a cheap digital camera that I carry in the pocket of my jacket.)

Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM
RiverWolf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Not sure if I followed the rules, but this is one of my recent favorites. The bike was an important element of the photo, but the idea was to show it in the expansive beauty of the Carolina coastal marshes. Anyway, I like it. (And it was taken with a cheap digital camera that I carry in the pocket of my jacket.)

Great pic! exactling what I was talking about. I no longer take a pic just to have another one of my bike. After awhile they all look alike. Interesting backgrounds is what makes the pic to me. Tons of guys just give us views of all the junk in their garage/driveways LOL!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RiverWolf
Nice job Schu!
I like going to black/white, maybe using color on only one thing in pic, another is to use the blur tool on the background.
Keep up the good work!
Hehe just this past weekend it was raining and cold,so I got the wife to pose for a few B&W shots with a simple point and shoot 4meg canon.
We had fun.

Attached Thumbnails Schumacher's new article: Motorcycle Photography 101-img_0841.jpg   Schumacher's new article: Motorcycle Photography 101-img_0844.jpg   Schumacher's new article: Motorcycle Photography 101-img_0859.jpg  

Quick Reply: Schumacher's new article: Motorcycle Photography 101