General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Americade

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 AM
foxhd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Americade

I've been thinking of riding up for a day trip. Maybe stay 1 or 2 nights. The question is " Are there any places where I can toss up a tent besides places that require a couple days reservations? Do any home owners in the area let bikers camp in their backyards over night? Thanx.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the area. There is 6 million acres of forest surrounding lake George. They have real camp sites they want you to use, but you could always find a patch of woods and put a tent up as long as you were descret about it. I would offer you to stay at my place but unfortunately I will be in Atalanta on a business trip that week. Also they aren't to harley friendly at that rally. They setup stops and ticket loud bikes and do dot helmet checks.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
They setup stops and ticket loud bikes and do dot helmet checks.

Yes. Avoid Americade if you have Loud pipes unless you can afford to pay the tickets.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 PM
518Train
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Never had a problem at Americade.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the bikes at Americade are now Harleys, but the NYS Police have been setting up motorcycle only check points on the Northway (Interstate 87).

And Captain Smooth is telling the truth. Half of the land around here is owned by the state & deemed "forever wild". Plan on it, & ask a local where to set up when you get here. It's kind a a patchwork of public & private. Expect to be in the woods. though. They call it a "park" & that can be misleading, & you will not find a tent site close to town.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 04-25-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

I've been to Americade four times and never been stopped/hassled. They do stop the idiots that feel it necessary to do burn outs, WOT runs, excessive throttle 'blipping'. The last time there, a guy had a bike in the back of his pickup and at every red light would jump on the bike and actually do a burnout in the bed. Then he'd get back in the truck, drive to the next red light, and repeat. No police stopped him.

There's a campground on the west side of the lake, about 5 miles north of town.
I don't recall the name, but I'm sure there's more than one campground.

http://www.lakegeorge.com/camping/

Last edited by Deucedog; 04-25-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 103ci07nightrain
Never had a problem at Americade.
I never have either, behave yourself and no one will bother you. There is a mixture of bikes there, good people, good food tons and tons of vendors.
The ride around the lake is beautiful
Enjoy

Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
foxhd
Cruiser

I camp at Laconia and have for years. Also the Rendezvous. Consistantly being told that Americade would be boring. But, I'm older-60, not loud and obnoxious so I don't worry about the police, and since I have never been to Americade, I thought it may be a good way to spend a day or 2. If the weather was to be good for a couple days, then that's when I'd go up. Really just to be on the bike for a nice ride to upstate New York.I last rode to Lake George about 1970. And we did sleep in the woods somewhere...( kind of like the other thread posted on this forum). I just didn't want to find out that I would have to ride home in the middle of the night because I couldn't find a small patch of grass to sleep over night. So just wondered if anyone has seen signs on someones front yard that they had space to pop up the tent. I have low expectations regarding luxury.....I don't want to commit to a reservation because this is a busy stretch of time for motorcycling. Besides Laconia and the Rendezvous, I'll also be heading up to northern Vermont for several days to camp. All within a month...So Americade really isn't a priority.

Last edited by foxhd; 04-25-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Ride like an @ss, and you'll get treated like one!!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live 5 minutes away from where Americade is held for 31 years now. Every year for the past few years they randomly set up road blocks at the beginning of the downtown strip off from 87. You WILL get a loud pipes ticket regardless of how you are acting at one of these road stops. This is a huge complaint of the local stores and vendors that the state police do this, because it makes people not wanna come back.

Now you can listen to some guys that have been there a few times, or you can listen to a local that has lived there his whole life. No it is not a everyday thing they do, but your odds are very high when it comes to getting a ticket. Just a friendly heads up if you see a stop and you have loud pipes, turn around if you are able to.

Good luck and enjoy yourself, it is a laid back family oriented event during the day. But there are plenty of bars around on the strip and surrounding areas for night time entertainment. If you are looking for one of the most beautiful rides in the northeast take 9n from start to end. As hollowpoint said be careful if you do decide to camp out in some random woods. It is one of the largest wilderness state parks in the country. The word park should be taken lightly...Bears and mountain lions oh my....lol

Quick Reply: Americade