General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Dallas852
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for.

I'm probably going to get hate for starting this thread, but I searched around and didn't see what I was looking for. Be gentle...

New to motorcycles and I want to know what I should start out with. I love HD's, but I've read that I need to get whatever and just start learning to ride. Any search on the web for "what is the best beginner bike" always leads towards a Honda, suzuki or yamaha, I'm guessing because of their cheap price tags.

From experienced riders, any suggestions? I've seen some bikes on craigslist that have the styling I like and a price tag that is decently affordable, I just don't know the bike's quality, etc. I'm learning a lot on the forum and am always one to take advice from experienced people. Any thoughts?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give us some insight into your dimensions, height, weight, etc would help

Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Dallas852
Intermediate

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
Give us some insight into your dimensions, height, weight, etc would help
Great idea.

6'4" 240 lbs. "Athletic", not a body builder, not a fata$$. Play lots of sports, bball, softball, run, etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Silvertip
Cruiser

Reading between the lines, it appears that you want someone to tell you that the best learners bike is not metric, but HD. I think you need to do what we all did back in the day. Find a bike that fits & you like the looks of & that is in your price range and buy it. You will learn to ride and evenually you can keep trading up till you get the bike of your dreams. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I started out on a 100cc dirt bike when I was ten back in the early 60's.

I think the first road bike when I was 16, was a 250cc Honda.

If you've never ridden before, I would suggest going used. You will scratch it up and probably dump it a couple of times. You can pick up an older 500cc to 750cc metric for cheap. They are well made and need little maintenance. Get a season under your belt first, then decide what you want in a bike for next spring. JMHO

Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Dallas852
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Silvertip
Reading between the lines, it appears that you want someone to tell you that the best learners bike is not metric, but HD. I think you need to do what we all did back in the day. Find a bike that fits & you like the looks of & that is in your price range and buy it. You will learn to ride and evenually you can keep trading up till you get the bike of your dreams. Good luck.
You might be reading me perfectly. My main goal is to learn to ride on whatever, I just want to make sure it "fits" me to learn on. I know if I go to a dealership they'll try to sell me whatever, and I'm looking for some tips on what I should be looking for. Things to watch out for. Ideally I'd LOVE to start out on an HD, customized to look more like a bobber, but I'm a realist. A $2000 metric is probably what I need, but I dont want to look like a bear on a tricycle and pick a bike that wont suit my learning purposes. I am planning on taking on of the riders courses that are offered.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With your size & athletic background, you can avoid the smaller bikes (Honda Rebel, Suzuki Savage, etc.) that are often recommended. Just get something simple you can tip over a few times without crying out loud.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm about your size (sans the athletic build) and rode from age 8 to 21 - stopped, had kids and when they graduated college, I started riding again. My "1st" bike was a 2008 Street Glide and I was very comfortable on it. Granted, I did have some experience, albeit 30+ years ago. I don't know that I'd suggest something like that for a brand new rider, but only you know your abilities.

I'd suggest that you take a basic riders course and see how you feel on 2 wheels. If you're comfortable, then maybe start out with something small & easy to handle (not necessarily HD). A 500 or 750 metric, even if it's a cheap pos, would be great to cut your teeth on. Easy to ride and not a big deal if it gets dropped a time or 2. Bikes like that are on Craigslist every day.

Again, I'd highly recommend taking a basic riders course. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Dallas852
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
With your size & athletic background, you can avoid the smaller bikes (Honda Rebel, Suzuki Savage, etc.) that are often recommended. Just get something simple you can tip over a few times without crying out loud.
Good info here. Didn't know those were smaller bikes. I've found a couple in my price range that have a similar styling to what I like and I probably wouldn't be too mad at myself if I dropped it.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/2925197401.html

This one looks nice, more than I probably want to spend but has a certain appeal.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/2966484763.html

Just wondering if these would "fit" me.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

What are you looking to do on your bike? Take some trips, just cruise around town? If you're going to do some trips, will they be day trips or over night/multiple day trips? That information should tell you if you want saddlebags/luggage rack/tour pack, etc.

You're a big dude so whatever bike you buy just make sure it fits your size, if you're uncomfortable in the riding position then you're not going to be comfortable riding, period.

I disagree with the people that say buy a cheap metric first unless you're not big/strong enough to handle a heavy weight bike which obviously you are. I just think its a waste of money, time and trouble when you know you ultimately want a Harley. I only had maybe a couple thousand mile riding experience (other people's bikes) before I bought my road king. I did intentionally buy a used one though because I expected to drop it at least once but guess what, its been dropped twice now and no damage either time.

Oh, and take some training through either the MSF, Ride like a Pro, or if your budget supports it, Rider's Edge through the dealer. Better yet, take as much training as you can, your life depends on it.

Quick Reply: What to look for.